DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Advice on which silicone glue to use on the gimbal ribbon replacement

Enigma

Reactions
I have decided to try and replace the ribbon cable myself.
I know its under warranty but i feel i am wasting my time getting a third Mavic replacement and have the same problem in a few weeks time.
I have ordered the tools,cable and precision tweezers and other stuff, but still unsure what silicone glue to use to hold down the ribbon cable connectors.
In case of a further replacement in the future the glue should not be permanent.
Any help in any way with this replacement cable would be appreciated.

I know its under warranty but i feel i am wasting my time getting a third Mavic replacement and have the same problem in a few weeks time.
I have ordered the tools,cable and precision tweezers and other stuff, but still unsure what silicone glue to use to hold down the ribbon cable connectors.
In case of a further replacement in the future the glue should not be permanent.

GE Silicone Glue, I use it for everything.

Silicone II Household Glue & Seal (GE280): Industrial Sealants: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Reactions: Enigma
Is the glue necessary if using a factory oem ribbon?

Looking at the tutorials on YouTube the connectors are secured by rubber silicone glue. Possibly unnecessary, but with the vibrations caused, best safe than sorry. I've done the same on my phantom, but the Mavic is much more intricate to work on based on my research.

I have decades of experience with repairing electronics and as I said in the other forum, replacing that ribbon cable was one of the most difficult tasks I have ever done. Be prepared to spend 4-6 hours, even after you watched a dozen or so YT videos on the process. The cable is very fragile and easily damaged if you make one mistake. The routing of the cable is not well explained in any of the videos I watched so I had to make a few errors on the order to get it right. The ribbon cable comes as a flat piece and it will require you make certain folds for it to fit properly.

As to your specific question, Thunderdrone answered me with a good choice that he has had experience with see the other thread on this topic where I lay out my experience with the ribbon install. I have not used any replacement rubber cement yet and plan to open up the MP later and do that per his suggestion.

As for the GE silicone, or as chemists call RTV for Room Temperature Vulcanization, I would strongly advise not using that in any electronics application where it will cure enclosed space. The reason is the uncured silicone has acetic acid. You can smell it and it smells like vinegar. This was popular back in the 70's but quickly became unadvised due to the acid causing the electronics to corrode and create copper acetate on the connections. Trust me, you don't want that! It's better to use something that is alcohol or solvent based that does not corrode the metal in your circuitry.

You might benefit from reading this thread where I describe what I went through:
"Gimbal Motor Overloaded" = Worthless Mavic

But either way do a search on replacing the ribbon cable on the Mavic Pro Gimbal and spend some time.

Be sure to take pictures of the ribbon routing and folds that you remove before and after removal as that will help you later when you install the new cable. I also use a deluxe tool kit from I Fix it and some head magnifier goggles to see what I am doing, plus lots of bright light.

Good luck with your repair.

Reactions: eddypanik
any upd
ate on the glue you use? also the ribbon is fixed in some point on gimbal arms (with trasparent glue) did you reach th replacment? i have ordered my new ribbon and dismounted the old... just guessing with glue to use....

any upd

ate on the glue you use? also the ribbon is fixed in some point on gimbal arms (with trasparent glue) did you reach th replacment? i have ordered my new ribbon and dismounted the old... just guessing with glue to use....
i used clear silicone glue. worked fine. but the cable broke again.

I have replaced my ribbon on the gimbal on two occasions. The ribbon has to be bent carefully in the right place and on those places that are folded I used double sided clear tape. If you buy good quality tape it is extremely thin and strong. It also allows you to remove and reposition it if needed. You cant even see the tape it is so thin.Over 50 flights since and no loss of adhesion on the tape. I used 3M tape. Also ensure your ribbon does not touch the gimbal edges at all when it moves to its full extent i.e. when initialising as the ribbon will eventually be damaged by the contact. Plenty of YouTube vids explaining how to do this ribbon replacement correctly. It is not hard if you are careful and have some experience with electronics.
And the connectors click into place firmly onto the circuit board, so no need for silicon to hold them in. There is a product called 'Liquid Electrical Tape' by Starbrite that looks identical to the silicon in the Mavic. Use that if you are afraid of the connection vibrating loose. It is non corrosive.
Have fun.

Last edited:
I have replaced my ribbon on the gimbal on two occasions. The ribbon has to be bent carefully in the right place and on those places that are folded I used double sided clear tape. If you buy good quality tape it is extremely thin and strong. It also allows you to remove and reposition it if needed. You cant even see the tape it is so thin.Over 50 flights since and no loss of adhesion on the tape. I used 3M tape. Also ensure your ribbon does not touch the gimbal edges at all when it moves to its full extent i.e. when initialising as the ribbon will eventually be damaged by the contact. Plenty of YouTube vids explaining how to do this ribbon replacement correctly. It is not hard if you are careful and have some experience with electronics.
And the connectors click into place firmly onto the circuit board, so no need for silicon to hold them in. There is a product called 'Liquid Electrical Tape' by Starbrite that looks identical to the silicon in the Mavic. Use that if you are afraid of the connection vibrating loose. It is non corrosive.
Have fun.
Have fun.
thanks for the "liquid Electrical tape" suggestion.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seaphotos