DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

AE lock driving me nuts

Thanev

Reactions
Current firmware.Shooting with ND filter.Manual mode.Fingers clear of dials/5d button.(#2 button and 5d right set for AE Lock as a preference).
While shooting video in MANUAL,recorded video light levels adjust automatically...in my mind they shouldn't(?).Of course the AE Lock doesn't work in manual,as I believe auto adjustments shouldn't occur as I have taken manual control of video...? Correct?
AE can be locked in S mode but I want complete control in manual.
Is what I assume about manual not correct?It works fine on shooting panoramas with my DSLR but I can't figure this one out.
What am I missing?

Current firmware.Shooting with ND filter.Manual mode.Fingers clear of dials/5d button.(#2 button and 5d right set for AE Lock as a preference).
While shooting video in MANUAL,recorded video light levels adjust automatically...in my mind they shouldn't(?).Of course the AE Lock doesn't work in manual,as I believe auto adjustments shouldn't occur as I have taken manual control of video...? Correct?
AE can be locked in S mode but I want complete control in manual.
Is what I assume about manual not correct?It works fine on shooting panoramas with my DSLR but I can't figure this one out.
What am I missing?
Are you using a polarized ND filter? The amount of light allowed into the lens can change based on the angle to the sun even if ambient light levels don’t actually change if you have a polarized filter on.

Check that ISO isn’t on auto mode, though, I’m not sure if you can put ISO on auto in manual mode on the M2 or not.

Are you using a polarized ND filter? The amount of light allowed into the lens can change based on the angle to the sun even if ambient light levels don’t actually change if you have a polarized filter on.

Check that ISO isn’t on auto mode, though, I’m not sure if you can put ISO on auto in manual mode on the M2 or not.
Using regular Freewell ND filters,not the variable type and no ISO Auto .But thank you for your thoughts..

AE lock doesnt work in manual. Why would you use AE lock in manual mode? Im confused.
Is the drone stationary and not rotating or moving in any way at all when this happens?

AE lock doesnt work in manual. Why would you use AE lock in manual mode? Im confused.
Is the drone stationary and not rotating or moving in any way at all when this happens?
That is my point.When I set the the Pro2 to the proper exposure upon takeoff,I want to set the exposure so it doesnt change through the segment I am flying.In manual, at present, I will be flying along with wonderful video,and all of a sudden the video will darken and I have to stop shooting,go into the manual settings ,and change settings to get properly exposed video again.I would like to lock the exposure so this doesnt happen.To explain further, I want to set the bright points facing towards the sunrise at at well exposed level,and when I rotate the opposite direction it captures the new light levels in a natural(darkening?) manner rather than immediately and uncontrollably ratcheting up the exposure...

I still dont understand - do you have videos of this ?
If you properly expose a video in manual than *any* movement of the drone is likely to change light levels and therefore the exposure of the image.

AE lock button shouldnt, and as far i can see, doesnt, function in manual exposure mode.

Also be aware you dont have auto ISO or anything selected - this can be on in manual mode by accident meaning its basically ISO Priority not manual.

Need to see videos and/or screen recordings to understand the issue really.

I still dont understand - do you have videos of this ?
If you properly expose a video in manual than *any* movement of the drone is likely to change light levels and therefore the exposure of the image.

AE lock button shouldnt, and as far i can see, doesnt, function in manual exposure mode.

Also be aware you dont have auto ISO or anything selected - this can be on in manual mode by accident meaning its basically ISO Priority not manual.

Need to see videos and/or screen recordings to understand the issue really.
Thank you for your patience.
I dont have any video uploaded I can show you.
I think my question should be:
What modes are used so I can keep the camera from raising or lowering exposure on it's own ?
As you mentioned above:
"If you properly expose a video in manual than *any* movement of the drone is likely to change light levels and therefore the exposure of the image."
When shooting a panorama on my DSLR I would set it up in manual so as I turn the camera while taking shots,the exposure changes gradually(naturally) so the transition from light to dark in the completed project is acceptable. I do NOT want the camera to say,oops...getting to dark....better ramp things up a bit.Boom!
At present,when I am flying with an acceptable level of light,if I turn towards an area of higher "lux",the camera clamps down quickly,harshly and artificially on its own.I dont want this to happen. I like controlling aperture,shutter,ISO on my own in Manual,but do not think this will allow a smooth gradation of light levels from darker to lighter in a 360 degree rotation in video.

Manual is the only way to keep a fixed exposure.
Unfortunately this means a fixed light level so any change (turning drone, flying it etc) will cause the image brightness to change.

*AUTO* is the exposure that keeps the levels the same in changing light levels.

If you set full manual (making sure ISO is manual as well) then the camera wont change at all relative to light levels - you have to do it.

I really appreciate your feedback.At present I have set something wrong (perhaps Auto ISO as you mention) in Manual,as exposure is changing. For example see aprox. 6:45 on the attached video(not mine)
Have to double check my manual settings now....
Thanks!

Reactions: THE CYBORG
That video clearly shows auto-iso is selected (and im not sure spark has full manual anyway).

Reactions: THE CYBORG
There is a sudden change in the video light level.
What modes are used so I can keep the camera from raising or lowering exposure on it's own ?

My question, to help understand this: when you say "raising or lowering exposure on it's own", do you mean that see settings change (aperture, shutter speed)?

Or just a change in the apparent light level.

And when you say "sudden change" in the video light level, do you mean that the brightness changes without you moving the orientation of the aircraft (in relation to the sun)?

It may very well be that you will have to post a video example of this.

Chris

Sorry.
To clarify,the apparent light level drops very quickly on it's own.Just fired 'er up to try to duplicate .Now it doesn't happen. I think electronics hate me.LOL.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair