DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Aerial Mapping/Surveying - how to get started

Mavic 2 Pro is fine (the last one that is due to waypoints and no SDK)

Mapping software look at Drone Deploy, Pix4d etc.

And/or Metashape.

Reactions: mereflyer
There's many resources online about using quadcopters for photogrammetry, Drone U being one stand out in local memory lol. The Mavic 2 Pro can be used to make decent maps and models at smaller scales, but the best at the low-price end is a standard Phantom 4 Pro with a standard controller. Use this with a tablet to run software like DroneDeploy for automated flight and photo collection. The actual map processing software is where the costs go up. Companies are pushing subscriptions/pay as you go pricing models, as opposed to perpetual licenses. I've had good results with DD and Pix4D products mapping products. Maybe the worst was with Maps Made Easy. I've also used and still use Open Drone Map, but it's not as 'user' friendly as the others.

So the next big step is choosing the software. None of the 'good stuff' is inexpensive though, and we haven't even talked about the accuracy needed to do business (surveying ground control points, RTK, PPK).

Reactions: mereflyer
Mate even though I’m in Australia, I follow Richard Carpentier at AZ Drones. He has some great training programs and we have great weekly meetings on Patreon. Worth looking into to see if it’s suitable for your self.
Regards

Mate even though I’m in Australia, I follow Richard Carpentier at AZ Drones. He has some great training programs and we have great weekly meetings on Patreon. Worth looking into to see if it’s suitable for your self.
Regards
Thanks, I'll take a look! Still not sure how it all works.

Reactions: John G. and Gagey52
A little late here, but hopefully I can contribute to OP or anyone else asking this question:

The M2P is a great drone for photography but a middle-of-the road drone for mapping (and less so for surveying), and that opinion stems from two factors.

1. Rolling Shutter - the rolling shutter on the M2P camera is an issue and no matter how many processing companies say they have a built in correction for it the difference between deliverables (rolling vs mechanical) is absolutely noticeable.
  2. RTK - if you're mapping you absolutely want to be using an RTK capable UAV and the M2P doesn't have this capability (the Enterprise does, but you'll be sacrificing image quality).
For the rolling shutter matter the best solution I have found was the Drone Harmony flight planning & execution app which would allow you to stop at every image location. While this may add a little time to the flight it wasn't significant especially when you speed up the flight speed between shots. I'm not sure why they eliminated this feature (at least from the legacy version) because it really did improve the results.

There are some RTK hardware add-ons that you can procure, but I'm a little weary of those with regards to the flight behavior. The units all make the M2P look a bit top-heavy and the manual installation of an aftermarket device like the ones I've seen appear to be too subject to human error.

If you're going to offer mapping services and you're not looking to reinvest, I would suggest shying away from undeveloped land as the vegetation just exasperates the rolling shutter blur. Developed properties will have visual characteristics that can help with the photogrammatic processes, with things like pavement markings and structure edges that are nice and straight.

If you're willing to invest in a better UAV for mapping I would bump up to the Phantom 4 RTK unit. The gimbal mounted camera is the same as the X4S that is commonly used with the Matrice M210 units and the outputs are great. There is even a decent PPK system if you live in a state that doesn't offer free access to an RTK network.

Other than that I would recommend spending a fair amount of time using GIS software or even taking a GIS class. Collecting good data is about 25% of the workflow and just passing it along to firms isn't something that is going to appeal to potential clients. QGIS is free and a powerful tool. Even the firms that use Esri respect what QGIS is capable of. But understanding coordinate systems, projections, datums, etc. would get you a seat at the table.

Hope all this helps!

Reactions: John G.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mavic 3 classic User