DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Aerial photography and Faa rules

koopyetz

Reactions
I’ve been delving more into taking photos and videos with my Mavic pro.

In conversation with the Faa I’ve been instructed to keep my eyes on the drone and only taking quick glimpses at controller / iPhone .

Right now I just take photos or videos without spending much time looking down.

I see a problem lining up shots as I would spend more time looking away from my drone.

Also wonder about making camera adjustments while in the air.

Do you typically bring a second person to keep an eye on the drone while you make adjustments. Or , do you only fly while the second person holds
The iPhone/ iPad and you communicate between the two of you the get the shot.

Your input and suggestions please.

Thanks

Rick

I make sure I'm hovering safely, look down at my screen and make the adjustments. I frame my shots and fire away. When filming I check my flight area and mostly watch my screen during the shot. I do all this while keeping and eye on my aircraft and the nearby airspace. I feel it's much akin to driving a car, watching the roadway while also checking my mirrors and guages.
If it's a complicated sequence I'm trying to film in an area with some obstructions I like to have a spotter to keep an extra set of eyes on the aircraft.
Although this might be a violation of the exact wording of the FAA regs I think it's safe and I believe that I'm following the rules as they intended.

I make sure I'm hovering safely, look down at my screen and make the adjustments. I frame my shots and fire away. When filming I check my flight area and mostly watch my screen during the shot. I do all this while keeping and eye on my aircraft and the nearby airspace. I feel it's much akin to driving a car, watching the roadway while also checking my mirrors and guages.
If it's a complicated sequence I'm trying to film in an area with some obstructions I like to have a spotter to keep an extra set of eyes on the aircraft.
Although this might be a violation of the exact wording of the FAA regs I think it's safe and I believe that I'm following the rules as they intended.
Its is replies like this that are helpful to me. Thank you for your time.

Reactions: Willybgh
I always keep the drone in VLOS and I've found if I look for a marker on the ground that lines up with where the drone is in the sky it helps alot to reengage with my eyes after looking down.

You're expected to keep eyes on the aircraft the majority of the time unless you're checking telemetry etc or making "adjustments".

Just make sure you know where the aircraft is etc when you're looking down at your display device and don't get fixated.

Our company is set up with a Visual Observer for this reason but many companies are a One-Person operation. We set ours up when regulations required a VO and never changed it.

I always keep the drone in VLOS and I've found if I look for a marker on the ground that lines up with where the drone is in the sky it helps alot to reengage with my eyes after looking down.
Great advice, I do the same thing

If I'm in the air for a client, I've got a VO with me. Almost always. I'd say 95%+. If I'm flying for myself, it's rare.

As far as watching my drone, I have no problem looking away and finding my drone again. Especially when shooting video.

I've worked with my VO for over 15 years, so I have complete trust in him.

You are allowed to look away to set exposure, compose the photos, or keep tabs on the video.

We are required to maintain VLOS for two main reasons. The first is obvious. We don't want to crash into something. Even if our drone has sensors to keep us away from things, they are not foolproof. Especially for things like power lines and small twigs.

The second reason, and the most important in my opinion, is to keep an eye out for manned aviation. It's up to us to stay out of the way of all other aircraft. We reside at the bottom of the NAS totem pole.

So our need to keep an eye on the drone is dependent on where we're flying. If I'm flying a few feet above a creek in the mountains near me, I'm keeping my eyes on the drone almost all the time. I see the exposure, hit the record button, and them watch the drone and only look down on occasion.

But if I'm flying at 250' filming a construction site and have a good view of the surrounding airspace, I'm not going to be looking up as often.

Real aircraft pilots have the same issue. Every aircraft has flight instruments that provide vital information to the pilot about the operating states of the aircraft and the conditions of the flight itself. Pilots are trained in maintaining a situational awareness which means continuous scans of the airspace they are flying in and the aircraft instruments.

I’ve been delving more into taking photos and videos with my Mavic pro.

In conversation with the Faa I’ve been instructed to keep my eyes on the drone and only taking quick glimpses at controller / iPhone .

Right now I just take photos or videos without spending much time looking down.

I see a problem lining up shots as I would spend more time looking away from my drone.

Also wonder about making camera adjustments while in the air.

Do you typically bring a second person to keep an eye on the drone while you make adjustments. Or , do you only fly while the second person holds
The iPhone/ iPad and you communicate between the two of you the get the shot.

Your input and suggestions please.

Thanks

Rick
Photography is the main reason I fly, so getting the shot is important to me. I usually try to keep the drone against a visible background, such as a cloud or clouds. I try to keep the drone away from a background that hides its visibility such as a forest. I also try to keep the drone still, that is, not flying, when I shoot a still image. I use a 9 1/2 inch iPad for better visibility. I am keeping the drone more and more of the time in VLOS, whereas before, I would just fly by looking at the screen. Bad idea.

With my old MA I always kept the drone in sight, mostly because the connection was not very secure.
With my MA2 my behaviour became different. Of course I fly VLOS when there is a possibilty of obstacles. But at a height from 50m or higher there is no chance that I can hit something in my neighbourhood. So then I fly with my eyes on the phone, enjoying the landscape and with confidence I fly hundreds of meters away. The drone can't be seen any more, but on my screen I know exactly where to go or to come back. This habit is completely in line with many of the movies I see: many of them were obviously shot far beyond VLOS. I think that flying VLOS under all circumstances is rule from a time that drones were hardly technically comparable with the new ones. I even get a warning (far before I should see of hear it) should there be an airplane in the neighbourhood. The only thing that I can hit is another drone (maybe we get warning for that too). The chance to be confronted by a real bird is not likely when flying real higher.

With my old MA I always kept the drone in sight, mostly because the connection was not very secure.
With my MA2 my behaviour became different. Of course I fly VLOS when there is a possibilty of obstacles. But at a height from 50m or higher there is no chance that I can hit something in my neighbourhood. So then I fly with my eyes on the phone, enjoying the landscape and with confidence I fly hundreds of meters away. The drone can't be seen any more, but on my screen I know exactly where to go or to come back.

VLOS is the current LAW not just a suggestion.

What happens if you're flying way beyond VLOS and your viewing device goes blank/dead?
What happens if you're flying way beyond VLOS and lose Rx/Tx connection and the aircraft doesn't initiate the "expected" RTH scenario?

For kicks & grins let's take a moment to look at EXACTLY what could and DID happen in the above "fictitious" scenario back in 2017:
Last I heard that "Uh Oh" moment of flying "safely" beyond VLOS cost the Tax Payers of the US a pinch over $250K. Thank goodness it did NOT result in any loss of life but keep in mind the UH-60 Black Hawk is a Battle Designed helicopter so imagine what COULD have happened if this had been a less "robust" aircraft loaded with living human beings . . .
What happens if you're flying way beyond VLOS and there is a MANNED aircraft entering the same area you're UAS is flying but not within the Point of View of the way you're UAS is heading?

This habit is completely in line with many of the movies I see: many of them were obviously shot far beyond VLOS.

Keep in mind that some of the things you see on "Movies" is a Closed Set or being done under an FAA Waiver. It's not different than seeing cars "crash/jump" going down the city streets. It's illegal is you do them but not so on a closed/controlled set. Don't let the movies guide your reality or it's not going to go well for you long-term.

I think that flying VLOS under all circumstances is rule from a time that drones were hardly technically comparable with the new ones.

WRONG! This rule should be MORE strict now that the aircraft can fly autonomously, longer distances, and higher than ever before. Just because the aircraft CAN do something doesn't mean it's legal for you to DO that feat.

I even get a warning (far before I should see of hear it) should there be an airplane in the neighbourhood. The only thing that I can hit is another drone (maybe we get warning for that too). The chance to be confronted by a real bird is not likely when flying real higher.

What percentage of aircraft "not" flying in controlled airspace do you think are operating their ADS-B? I've seen estimates as low as 10% but the closer to Controlled Airspace the higher the #'s get.

Trusting such a piece of technology to the degree you are isn't a good idea at all. The alert system is only there to AUGMENT your Situational Awareness not to replace it... not at all.

The only thing that I can hit is another drone (maybe we get warning for that too). The chance to be confronted by a real bird is not likely when flying real higher.

Absurd! There are hundreds of legally low flying aircraft across the USA each and every day.

You'll only get an aircraft warning from another UAS AFTER they are upgraded to broadcast their location and that's still a ways off. You're flying blind in that respect.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Surprise