DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Afraid of flying the drone?...

As my drones and I age it seems a touch of anxiety follows. To combat these normal jitters I always carefully plan my flight — flight path, video, people/traffic flow. It helps.

Reactions: maggior
I only get anxious in busy areas....like around my house. Tons of trees and wires. Can't tell you how close I've come to clipping the power lines...lol. And over water raises my BP....why I bought a lifejacket and skin for mine. :). But still.... the best advice either get the DJI refresh and/or replacement insurance...while would suck losing a drone, having that peace of mind that it will be replaced helps with the stress.

Reactions: Dbez1
I get worried when I use the smart controller with the flawed firmware and my Air 2
When you lose connect with clear sky and only 100-200ft away :(

Will the Air 2s have the same issues if you want to use the smart controller?
We shall see

I have a Air 2 with a Smart Controller and I haven't run into this problem. I've taken mine out 400m (1312 ft). I am running what is current today.

How often does this loss of connection happen to you?

Might be an age thing. When Airbus introduced the A320 into service (AF, 1988) it was a revolutionary airplane with electronic displays & side sticks that controlled the airplane through a computer control system. Older pilots were nervous because they were used to flying the airplane with a direct link to hydraulic actuators or tabs. But airlines found that younger pilots with very little airline experience with mechanical control systems, adapted more quickly & completed training programs with fewer issues. Modern drones have amazing technology, we just have to understand how to manage them. Starts with fully understanding the user manual & all the controls.

As many stated - find a huge open area - no trees, buildings, etc and fly, fly, fly. Get your skills down. Then start transitioning to areas where trees and obstacles are and continue to fly, fly fly. Build your skills a little at a time.

Want to know nervous - fly around waterfalls. Not only do you have many obstacles like trees and such - you have water and wind - some wind of the normal type and then wind off the crashing water of a fall. It gets precarious at times if you closely watch the drone in such conditions. Yet, my Air2 has amazing balancing skills, so I let the drone counter those conditions and try not to freak out - as that is when "things happen" - you know like crashing into obstacles or worse - the water. I do fly very conservatively, so I have more reaction time if something seems to be happening. A buddy of mine flies low and fast around waterfalls, but he has a FPV drone that makes moves very fast -not like the Air2 in tripod mode - which is what I fly in 90% of the time. He has also crashed them many times and even lost a couple in the process due to water depth / flow. That's the tradeoff. He has some very awesome videos for sure compared to my more mundane ones - but I still have my original Air2 as well.

Only thing to get passed much of the anxiety is to fly it often. Like any other activity - lots of practice increases your overall skill level.

Might be an age thing. When Airbus introduced the A320 into service (AF, 1988) it was a revolutionary airplane with electronic displays & side sticks that controlled the airplane through a computer control system. Older pilots were nervous because they were used to flying the airplane with a direct link to hydraulic actuators or tabs. But airlines found that younger pilots with very little airline experience with mechanical control systems, adapted more quickly & completed training programs with fewer issues. Modern drones have amazing technology, we just have to understand how to manage them. Starts with fully understanding the user manual & all the controls.

Though the amazing tech in these drones allows us to fly far beyond VLOS, we aren't supposed to. If I only had to look at the controller, it would be easy, almost like playing a video game. I was quite relieved when I looked away briefly and lost VLOS that I was able to easily pilot the drone back with the map display.

I see sooooo many videos on line that are clearly far out of VLOS that I wonder if I'm just just being a stick in the mud insisting I keep it VLOS.

Forum, it has been a month since my last flight. I am in essence procrastinating under the guise of preparedness to avoid the nerve wracking inevitable. I am assembling a binder notebook with everything needed to fly. Certifications, Pre flight, laws (FAA, State, Local), printed DJI Fly manual etc. Great to have on-site for quick reference, education of LEOs and park management etc.

On my last flight I practiced rectangular patterns over a lake at about 150'. For a first attempt I nailed it. My fingers moved in the correct directions naturally. I was truly surprised but it just felt right. I do have a bit of experience with ground RC hobbies as well. Electric and nitro.

Well Times UP! I am heading out today to practice a bit and grab footage of a water tower. She's a biggin.

Good Luck, you will get there.

How many of you have anxiety about flying your expensive drone in fear of losing it?
I get anxiety and hearing all the warnings and beeps when flying...
How do you get over this anxiety?
I have had my Mavic pro for a while now and mostly go up and down so I know where my drone is..LOL
If you live near Minneapolis I could go flying with you and help calm your fears and answer any questions you may have

I was flying my drone once and the DJI Go 4 app got disconnected on my Galaxy S10....I could not see my drone anywhere and it was out of eye site.... I thought I lost my drone forever....
I had to completely rely on the remote controller itself it guide my Mavic Pro back to me.....
Your controller is not what brought your drone back once you establish the homepoint the coordinates are embedded in the drone and the drone returns home by itself

Reactions: Zeprider
How many of you have anxiety about flying your expensive drone in fear of losing it?
I have had my Mavic pro for a while now and mostly go up and down so I know where my drone is..LOL
Every time....just get airborne..!

Reactions: Zeprider
Here’s how I dealt with flying anxiety. Before I even knew what anxiety of flying was about, and before I even received my drone, I downloaded the manual online and read that, thinking knowledge is power... in some way or another. After receiving the drone, and reading the manual again, then taking flight for the first time, yes, I was definitely feeling that anxiety. As others have sad, stick time helped me tremendously; time in flight takes care of a lot of things. I started flying in wide open areas taking short flights initially, just to be sure I have a good understanding of the controls. Gradually I got more and more confident in my own abilities and of the quality of the drone, and after a month or so of flying, I even got the confidence to fly out over the Chesapeake Bay at Sandy Point! Still, I felt like my heart was pumping 200 bpm! And yet the more I did things like that, it increased my confidence every time. Of course, everyone has his or her own particular way of dealing with flying anxiety because we’re human, everyone is different. But generally, my advice is to know your drone best you can and to take it slow and easy in the beginning. Happy and safe flying!!!

Hey BillyDrone,
It's normal, just fly it!!! Ever flown RC Heli's such as Sab Goblin 570 triblade? Very expensive, and everytime
when I lift off the following comes to mind: Take off is by choice, landing is......
In case you don't know anything anymore, just press RTH button.
This is in this case my humble opinion. Cheers.

I fly a Mavic Mini 1 and above all else what makes me nervous is the wifi range that can vary enormously. I have flown the same route in local countryside and one day I can fly 700m away with good signal and on another day lose connection after 300m. Im saving up to upgrade to Mini2 so I can have the more reliable occusync

I don't worry about losing the drone. However, I do worry about hurting someone or damaging property if something were to go wrong....that keeps me on edge. I'm also not comfortable flying and trying to carry on a conversation with strangers because it takes my focus off the drone. Now flying at night, I'm just not confident enough yet to enjoy the experience.

IMO, it is healthy to have some level of anxiety when operating the drone because it means you are aware there is a possibility that something could go wrong and you are aware there are limits. With that being said, none of that prevents me from enjoying the hobby.

Reactions: 2Fly4Fun
I have been flying a drone for 3 years. One year with the Mavic Air 1 and 2 years with the Mavic 2 Pro. I can honestly say that I will never take off the drone without apprehension and fear of either loss or some catastrophe. Because of that I tend to fly very constricted routes. For some cases, I venture, with great trepidation, out of direct line of vision. For those, I depend mightily on RTH, which has always worked for me. For example, in taking off from a deep forest road, the drone is lost to sight almost immediately to my sight one it moves from the line of sight from the road. I watch the screen like a hawk, try to fly back manually on the map, but in some case, I just have to bail out and hit the RTH button.

I am not one of these pilots that endlessly follow the curvatures of a deep river valley, or road, although I admire those flights greatly. I have serious doubts that most of the flights are line of sight.

Dale
Miami

Reactions: DBT_Drone
I was overly anxious when I 1st got my MA2 and found myself not enjoying owning it much because of the fear of crashing it!
I became a better pilot and started enjoying flying after buying insurance for $60/year that would replace it with no deductible even if it's stolen out of my house...best investment I've made so far ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom