DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Afraid to fly

Another thing to keep in mind about what we typically refer to as signal failure, is that there are actually two different signals that we are dealing with - uplink from the remote, and also downlink from the copter, which is called Live View.

In my experience, the downlink is usually what begins to fail first, but when it does, I usually still have uplink capabilities. The benefit of this is the ability to then manually (and blindly) increase the copter's altitude which typically results in regaining the downlink, and all is good.

IMO, RTH should only be initiated by the pilot when they have a solid uplink and downlink with the copter, basically as an easy method of returning it home. If they do not have solid links, and assuming the settings are correct, the copter will initiate RTH on its own. At that point however, it is possible that if the pilot presses RTH on the remote or tablet, it could cancel the Auto RTH prior to downlink being reestablished, and they would never know that they just canceled RTH, and their copter is now hovering out there awaiting its next command...

Reactions: eckydrone200
Another thing to keep in mind about what we typically refer to as signal failure, is that there are actually two different signals that we are dealing with - uplink from the remote, and also downlink from the copter, which is called Live View.

In my experience, the downlink is usually what begins to fail first, but when it does, I usually still have uplink capabilities. The benefit of this is the ability to then manually (and blindly) increase the copter's altitude which typically results in regaining the downlink, and all is good.

IMO, RTH should only be initiated by the pilot when they have a solid uplink and downlink with the copter, basically as an easy method of returning it home. If they do not have solid links, and assuming the settings are correct, the copter will initiate RTH on its own. At that point however, it is possible that if the pilot presses RTH on the remote or tablet, it could cancel the Auto RTH prior to downlink being reestablished, and they would never know that they just canceled RTH, and their copter is now hovering out there awaiting its next command...

That's real good advice there Brockrock, I would probably never have thought about that. I tend to always keep mine within sight but I can see how easy it would be to lose visual on it and possibly panic if batt is getting low and you can't see it.

I had the same fears during my first few flights. After time, you get the feel for the limitations of your MA and you "comfort" zone. It's almost inevitable that you will experience a "lost signal" at least once. That is how you learn how far your MA will go, don't panic. The MA should come back and you will be happy to hear that buzzing noise when it does. Just make sure you take off from a good clear space to the MA has a nice home point to come back to. You'll be fine.

Baby steps first.... keep low altitude... and do figure 8's. Nothing will get you quicker to knowing the controls and eye hand coordination.

Cancelling RTH isn’t a concern when you don’t have downlink of you’re paying attention properly to what the controller is doing. This is because the controller sends designated rth request and cancel signals. If you press rth on your controller, it will start a slower, single beep sequence. This means the controller is sending rth requests. When the drone confirms the rth (downlink) the beep will change to a faster, double beep sequence. Setting the controller to the request mode will not cancel active rth’s. The only way to cancel it is if it’s already beeping, then you press it.

With all the fly always posted on this site, I must say am some what afraid to fly $1,000 gone with my investment. Flying at my property with 110' trees, I lose sight of my Air 100' feet away. , Any insight or thoughts regarding my fears or should I just trust my RTH option. Just bought a strobe and will look for some more open land to get more confidence with my air. Like my kid said, why did you by it you don't fly it.

I apologize if I missed it, but I didn't see the subject of where it is that you are flying come up. Wouldn't it be true if in the USA that visual-line-of-sight (VLOS) would be required in order to fly lawfully?

I know exactly what you are going through. I remember doing an over water flight several years ago with my then, newly purchased Phantom 4, and for some reason, shortly after takeoff, my hands started to shake so much that it became difficult to work the controls smoothly. I had intended to fly several batteries that day, but I flew just that one, and then the copter sat in its case for several weeks before I flew it again.

I remember looking at the case occasionally during those several weeks of down time, and that caused me stress as well. I had just spent all this money on something that I was afraid to lose, and when that 'something' is a drone that you purposefully fly away from yourself, way beyond where you can control every variable - such as birds, mechanical failures... - that concern felt very justified.

But, I have since adopted a new attitude about it all. The thing is, until you get to the point where you willingly accept the fact that you may never see your copter again when you send it off, you will not fully enjoy this hobby. In no way does this mean that you operate in a reckless fashion throwing all caution to the wind. That is certainly not what I am saying. In fact, when you truly accept and understand all that can go wrong, it causes you to do everything in your power to mitigate those possibilities. If something does happen out of your control however, you have to be willing to accept it and move on. Thus far, my P4 is still in excellent working order, and it now has a younger and very precocious brother - in the form of a Mavic 2 Pro - to contend with.
I completely agree with this. A lot of the really useful knowledge I have comes from mistakes I have made.. I have lost a few drones (and have a few controllers I’ve been needing to sell as a result!) But nothing sears a technique into your mind like doing it wrong and losing or damaging your bird as a result!

With all the fly always posted on this site, I must say am some what afraid to fly $1,000 gone with my investment. Flying at my property with 110' trees, I lose sight of my Air 100' feet away. , Any insight or thoughts regarding my fears or should I just trust my RTH option. Just bought a strobe and will look for some more open land to get more confidence with my air. Like my kid said, why did you by it you don't fly it.
I’ve the same problem . Bought MA last September, many visitors said let’s go out and fly it. UK weather not good so have only, very carefully, gone to a few feet indoors (not really a good idea!) Better not to launch until you’re confident, instead, read and watch all info online, at least you’ll have a chance to sort it if things go wrong. Have owned many cheap drones , not lost any, but loosing a Mavic would be a disaster!

everyone of us goes through the same fears of flying our drones when we first start out
no one wants to lose something as expensive as a good quality drone because it crashed or flew off into the sunset
but the truth is the only way to become competent and relaxed while flying is to get as much air time in as possible
start off flying in a quiet area away from people and trees and practice practice practice flying your drone manually
gradually as your flight time builds you will get to relax and enjoy the experience more and more
then one day you will realise hang on this is great i can do this its a good feeling when you master the controls and it all falls into place

Can’t quote on the air but the Mavic pro I trust rth

This maybe some help with the height of trees

I took a good read of your post....how & why do you feel you're risking $1000? H'burg PA properties cost a tad more, IME. Why does $1000K become a blip on the radar, much less a significant life decision?

With respect,

Having reread, your post is clear.....droning is NOT an investment, nor are 110' trees. There is NO investment potential in drones, watches, (maybe Rolex), antiques, or classic cars (unless you are one savvy savvy dude)

If you have the level of income that I infer....let it go....and reap some of the rewards that you have most likely toiled very long and hard.

I sent my controller to a company called drone nerds and got it fitted with better antennas. Then I executed a hack wich you can find by searching for it online. It gives you a special version of djigo app that increases your transmission strength. With all of that, my mavic now won't lose signal. I bought it used. Prior to those modifications, it wouldn't go more than 100 feet without losing the signal.I think it had something wrong with it. But, it was cheap.
Do you have a link for the special version of of the DJIGO app?

The fly away posts can actually be a good learning tool. Many of the errors made by mavic pilots are pretty easy to see in hind sight but are not necessarily anticipated easily by beginners. Reading the fly away assistance posts is a good way to learn from other peoples mistakes so you can avoid making them yourself. First read the owners manual and read it again until you understand the operating procedure. You don't need to learn every camera adjustment or every intelligent flight mode to fly safely. But learn to fly P-GPS and Atti modes. Ideally you will never have to use Atti mode. But it's better to learn it when everything about your drone is working properly and it is close to you in an open area. Learning how to fly in Atti mode during an emergency ( ie. loss of GPS fix) may lead to a lost or wrecked drone. Like you I am a bit concerned about losing my drone. The cost of a DJI Mavic Pro was a stretch for me since I only make a couple hundred bucks a month more than what is considered as living in poverty in my county. Take small steps my first 2 flights were done on one charge. On my third flight I did a close in RTH, this built my confidence up so I went out a distance and did another ect. also tested collision avoidance until the battery was used up. I do still get anxious if I lose visual contact, for example look at my tablet screen to change camera settings look back up and can't see my drone. It's right there where I left it just can't see it until I move it.

Reactions: old man mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada