DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Ascending above RTH altitude, then cancelling the RTH?

The Cornish Dronie

Reactions
DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Hi Guy's
I have been having issues with my Air 2 refusing to come home again. When I press RTH, my drone ascends past my set RTH altitude up to my maximum altitude set. It then it cancels the RTH it's self and just hovers. I have to manually fly the drone home. I have tried unistalling the Go fly app and reinstalling it again, but the same thing happens again. I have attached my flight log above, I am happy for any advice please.
Cheers Graham

Check you settings to see if maybe you have the RTH set to Hover. Also make sure you have the latest update.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Rain an Land on the Water.

I did a screen record on my phone. the advanced feature was set for RTH and not hover. I also updated the firmware today. The flight log shows that RTH was cancelled but I didnt do it myself?

These were my settings during the flight.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220116-152946_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220116-152946_Gallery.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_20220116-153057_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220116-153057_Gallery.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 31

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220116-152946_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220116-152946_Gallery.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20220116-153057_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220116-153057_Gallery.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
We're u getting any high wind warnings ,that could cause the RTH to cancel ?

If all else fails call DJI support. They are very helpful. While DJI drones usually come without defects, my first Mini 2 was deemed defective out of the box and exchanged for a different unit. It happens. DJI is pretty good at resolving problems. No need to suffer in silence.

Reactions: twickers14
When was the last drone compass calibration?

I'd take a close look at compass calibration or magnetic interference at your launch point.. Seems to me the drone turned to head off 90 degrees from home when it should have turned and pointed directly home.

Check you settings to see if maybe you have the RTH set to Hover.
You can't set RTH to hover (you are confusing RTH with loss of signal.
And it the drone was trying to hover, it wouldn't climb.
We're u getting any high wind warnings ,that could cause the RTH to cancel ?
High winds or warnings about high winds won't cancel RTH
When was the last drone compass calibration?
The compass has nothing at all to do with drone's mysteriously climbing.
That's about the least likely guess.
If there was a compass problem, it would have shown itself well before this and caused more serious issues.

Reactions: zeusfl
DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Hi Guy's
I have been having issues with my Air 2 refusing to come home again. When I press RTH, my drone ascends past my set RTH altitude up to my maximum altitude set. It then it cancels the RTH it's self and just hovers. I have to manually fly the drone home.
Your flight data shows a FlyState of Gentle GPS which indicates that this had something to do with APAS/obstacle avoidance.
The first thing to do would be to look into those settings and change something there.

One reason for RTH fail is if the drone is in an area that lost satellites. As @Meta4 mention, you cant change the RTH behavior. Now failsafe you can change it to Hover, Land or just Return to Home.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Your flight data shows a FlyState of Gentle GPS which indicates that this had something to do with APAS/obstacle avoidance.

Would the sun affect the RTH if it was in the right spot, fooling the sensors?

That's a big obstacle to avoid if the aircraft spun around to go home and seen it.

Just a thought. 🤔

That's a common cause of mid-air false obstacle avoidance issues.

Reactions: zeusfl
I was experiencing this same problem tonight. After activating RTH at about 300ft altitude, the drone would climb to max altitude (400ft), then RTH would cancel. I verified RTH altitude setting (150ft). Moved the drone lower and closer and tried again, the drone would attempt to move forward, stop, then begin to climb like it was trying to avoid an obstacle. I manually turned off obstacle avoidance and tried again with the same result. This was my first long flight since the latest firmware update last month.

Within the very first flight, obstacle avoidance had to go.....I really don't think AC is "smart" enough/programming eh.. to utilize the cam's effectively, I hated it, I disabled it the first flight. Thought it would make me crash. There is much potential there though....

Within the very first flight, obstacle avoidance had to go.....I really don't think AC is "smart" enough/programming eh.. to utilize the cam's effectively, I hated it, I disabled it the first flight. Thought it would make me crash. There is much potential there though....
I never use OA but it seems that it can't be turned off for RTH. I had it turned off in the settings but when a RTH event is active it still seems to be using it. Odd thing is on my last flight tonight it was way too dark for OA sensors to function, but the drone was still acting like it was attempting to maneuver over an object.

I never use OA but it seems that it can't be turned off for RTH. I had it turned off in the settings but when a RTH event is active it still seems to be using it. Odd thing is on my last flight tonight it was way too dark for OA sensors to function, but the drone was still acting like it was attempting to maneuver over an object.
That is weird, guess I have not noticed, rarely ever use rth, I "sports" it back home, land in normal mode, dial in landing on the way down, hit 20ft and go into tripod/cinema mode then back to me/hand. Much faster....just in a hurry I guess....🙂

Update: Flashed firmware with the same version and calibrated vision sensors in DJI Assistant 2. Did two short test flights this morning and had no issues with RTH. Fingers crossed the problem is resolved 🤞

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giku