DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Gimbal replacement / activation

Kerem

Reactions
Hello,
I had crushed my Air 2, so need to replace the Gimbal. I have purchased one from aliexpress and when I install it, it looks like it is working but it needs some kind of software to activate the gimbal/ calibrate to work. Does anyone one know how we can activate the gimbal?
Thanks

Hello,
I had crushed my Air 2, so need to replace the Gimbal. I have purchased one from aliexpress and when I install it, it looks like it is working but it needs some kind of software to activate the gimbal/ calibrate to work. Does anyone one know how we can activate the gimbal?
Thanks
you would have to contact DJI about that , not sure ,but i believe it needs to be done by DJI themselves but they might be able help you

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Hello,
Thanks
I believe one of the vendors on here commented about DJI not supplying gimbal and/or parts because it's a DJI repair only.

I would try DJI Assistant 2 on a MAC or PC and attempt a refresh of the firmware. I did a gimbal/camera swap of a Phantom 4 several years ago for a friend, and that was what we did, and it worked great. I don't know if DJI made changes to the Mavic line - and more specifically to the Air 2 - but it's worth a shot.

I have the same problem. Gimbal broke and I replaced the gimbal camera assembly. but after activation the new camera is always 30 degrees tilted.
It says to contact DJI which I did and I am waiting for their response.
I did hook up the old camera with the new gimbal in place somehow trying to trick the mavic air 2. but as soon as the new camera is reconnected the camera is tilting again.

anyone know the answer on what to do now?

?[ ATTACH=full]111248[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• IMG_1382.JPG
    IMG_1382.JPG
    209.2 KB · Views: 71
I contacted the local DJI dealer and asked if I needed to bring my drone in to have a newly installed camera initialized. Since their repair shop is currently closed, she said that she would walk me thru it using the mavic assistant on a pc or Mac. As it turned out, I was able to repair my camera, so I did not need to install a replacement.

Hi tony
so you could do it with the Dji assistant?
do you think I need the dji support to walk me thru or isn’t it not all more or less selfexplanatory?
what part of the assistant do you have to use?
I only live with Ipad and Iphone but soon a macbook will arrive at my remote brazilian beachhouse.

Hey Kruzlifix, I just called the DJI repair shop here in San Diego and LA to get process for you, but they are both closed until Monday. When I spoke with a tech a couple of weeks ago, she said she could help me do it myself on my computer, a HP computer. It shouldn’t make a difference that you are using a Mac, I assume. But yes, in the DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic download.

Was anyone able to get the process for activating/initializing a new camera in the the DJI Assistant 2 Mavic program? I have refreshed the firmware on the assistant and was able to successfully complete an auto gimbal calibration in the Fly app afterwards. The camera now seems to be working great (tilts up & down, stabilizes, and records) however I am still showing multiple error messages in the preflight checklist. Could these be old warnings from when I first installed the new camera and just need to be cleared? I am very new to the DJI Fly App and Mavic Air 2. so any help/information is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG-0001.PNG
    IMG-0001.PNG
    254.2 KB · Views: 46
Reactions: hardiannicko
Was anyone able to get the process for activating/initializing a new camera in the the DJI Assistant 2 Mavic program? I have refreshed the firmware on the assistant and was able to successfully complete an auto gimbal calibration in the Fly app afterwards. The camera now seems to be working great (tilts up & down, stabilizes, and records) however I am still showing multiple error messages in the preflight checklist. Could these be old warnings from when I first installed the new camera and just need to be cleared? I am very new to the DJI Fly App and Mavic Air 2. so any help/information is greatly appreciated!

You can follow the steps in the video, however, please heed the following warnings:
1. Running the firmware tools calibration on a gimbal that is already "calibrated" or paired to a drone, ie not a brand new unit will result in the error you show. I did this on my own original factory gimbal (which suffered overload by itself). It physically ran the calibration, but after that in the fly app you will see the black screen and gimbal not calibrated error.
2. Anecdotally, the calibration commands *should* be ok to run on a new fresh gimbal because others have said to be able to do so. But this did not occur to me yet.
3. If at all possible since you have already purchased a new gimbal (hopefully fresh), then I advise you to send to DJI for pairing or call or beg them to do it for you online (I think they have some tools to remotely access your drone). This saves you the heart ache of an unsuccessful pairing and a botched unit....
4. If you insist : I use the commands for MAVICAIR or WM230.

As other have said, if you have the old camera module you can swap it to the new one.

Then run the python command line gimbal motor calibration procedure to properly orient the gimbal.

This way you don't have to get a DJI facility involved..

Just a note, there are a few more gimbal calibration YouTube videos tutorial for the Spark. Just remmeber to use the MAVAIR device instead.

As other have said, if you have the old camera module you can swap it to the new one.

Then run the python command line gimbal motor calibration procedure to properly orient the gimbal.

This way you don't have to get a DJI facility involved..

Just a note, there are a few more gimbal calibration YouTube videos tutorial for the Spark. Just remmeber to use the MAVAIR device instead.
according to one skilled repair guy in my country it is very tough to remove the camera module from the gimbal, to the point that he gave up. Of course this guy also repairs and replaces the entire assembly.

according to one skilled repair guy in my country it is very tough to remove the camera module from the gimbal, to the point that he gave up. Of course this guy also repairs and replaces the entire assembly.
It's not quite as easy as the original mavic air.. But once you know how the gimbal is put together it's not bad at all. Definitely doable for anyone who repairs small electronics.

Reactions: lee82gx
It's not quite as easy as the original mavic air.. But once you know how the gimbal is put together it's not bad at all. Definitely doable for anyone who repairs small electronics.
If and when the time comes, I hope I will muster the courage and time to do so. But considering the gimbal is always now sold with camera module for US200, it is a very risky job that has little upside....if you compare in Mavic air 1, the gimbal is only US50 or less with bring your own camera....Great option if you break the gimbal.

hi

anyone find way to reactive replacement camera on mavic air 2 ? please

thanks
yossi
please read my posts above, so far that I know there is no change, you can only re-pair your gimbal to the drone via factory tools via authorized or at those with the access. not available to a normal person.

otherwise, just running the firmware level calibration via phython will at least allow you full use of the gimbal and camera, you just have to live with the error code and warning in the fly app.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000