DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 vs Mini 2

Macabre

Reactions
Edit: bought Air 2s

Used Air 2 Fly More kit costs about €75-€100 more than a brand new MIni 2 Fly More kit. Do you think it's worth going that route or should I just opt for a brand new Mini 2?

I do my own editing both photography (moderate) and video (light) and my main concern is flying after cars (I'm a motorsport photographer). Both images and video are equally as important.
I like the size/weight of Mini 2 but Air 2 has 4k/60fps. Space is somewhat important as I'd like to fit the drone in the same bag with my camera and lenses. And it's already full, lol. But if MA2 is much better, I'd suck it up and carry 2 bags.

I used to own Mavic 2 Pro, fantastic drone and fit my needs but not worth its price considering how little I flew with it. I need something affordable. I just sold my Xiaomi Fimi x8 SE which had a terrible quality and gimbal vobble.
I searched the forum but did not quite find the answer to my needs.

Last edited:
In general the most significant difference between the MM2 and the MA2 is weight and wind resistance. The MA2 will be more stable in windy conditions though from what I've read the MM2 is surprisingly stable for it's weight. I have flown my MA2 by the shore with a really steady wind and the drone didn't bat an eye and was very stable.

I'd be wary of buying a used drone unless it was from a company that refurbishes them and provides some sort of warranty.

Reactions: 1TenaciousG
Camera is the most important part for me, control is second.
I noticed that I quickly grow tired of flying a drone for fun, which is why I sold my Mavic 2 Pro. I need a drone mainly for professional work with a customer who's not too demanding, just wants a video.

Wind resistrance, well, I'll just try not to fly too far out on the water like I did with my Mavic Pro Platinum which I almost lost lol. I also never crashed so I doubt those extra forward sensors are needed.

So if there's no big difference between the two, Mini 2 might be a better option.
Although 60 fps for a bit of slow motion would be nice.

Reactions: 1TenaciousG
Used Air 2 Fly More kit costs about €75-€100 more than a brand new MIni 2 Fly More kit. Do you think it's worth going that route or should I just opt for a brand new Mini 2?

I do my own editing both photography (moderate) and video (light) and my main concern is flying after cars (I'm a motorsport photographer). Both images and video are equally as important.
I like the size/weight of Mini 2 but Air 2 has 4k/60fps. Space is somewhat important as I'd like to fit the drone in the same bag with my camera and lenses. And it's already full, lol. But if MA2 is much better, I'd suck it up and carry 2 bags.

I used to own Mavic 2 Pro, fantastic drone and fit my needs but not worth its price considering how little I flew with it. I need something affordable. I just sold my Xiaomi Fimi x8 SE which had a terrible quality and gimbal vobble.
Your devotion to your photography should determine that decision. For myself, I carry a camera bag and a drone bag. Each bag is full! For local trips, I mostly work out of the trunk of my car, and for short distances, use a trolley or luggage carrier if there is a hard surface (sidewalk). I also put two tripods in the car since I do timelapse. The camera bag contains 2 DSLR bodies and 3 lens (2 x 28-300mm+ one 14-24mm f/2.8. The drone bag carried Mavic 2 Pro, 3 batteries, controller, and spare space for an Osmo 4 gimbal (OM4). If I "go light" such and a day hike of 4-5 hours I strip down to one back pack for single body, small tripod, one lens, and Mavic 2 Pro. The pack also contains rain shell, lunch, 2nd layer for warmth, and of course, Camelbak for water.

Another consideration is speed if you shoot motorsports. The MA2 is a lot faster than the Mini to keep up with vehicles.

Reactions: hiflyer201
Maybe I should add that I don't do motorsport photography as a full time job.
I have 8-10 events per year. This might change in the future but in that case I'll get Mavic Air/Pro 3.

And since I'm the only photographer at the event, I'm quite pressed for the time. I can't afford to spend more than 1h flying and the videos don't have to be professional.
What I do is fly a bit on each event and then make something amateurish as an end of the year summary.

Well, while I've been pondering between Air 2 and Mini 2, I bought Air 2s Fly More Combo.

I did find a really nice price for a nearly new Mini 2 (10min flight time), €100 off the new price, but Peshoa kinda changed my mind.
Since I ride a motorcycle a lot, I guess that active track will create some fun photos.

Well, while I've been pondering between Air 2 and Mini 2, I bought Air 2s Fly More Combo.

I did find a really nice price for a nearly new Mini 2 (10min flight time), €100 off the new price, but Peshoa kinda changed my mind.
Since I ride a motorcycle a lot, I guess that active track will create some fun photos.
The best choice...safe flying and we are waiting for your footages....

Edit: bought Air 2s

it's interesting that a lot of users are saying MINI 2 equals AIR 2S in video quality.
I had both, and i can say to you MINI 2 is not as good as the AIR 2S.

I could send samples to you. Their is a lot of noise with the mini 2, even with sunny days. The sky is just white, and the mini 2 can not have sufficient dynamic range. For me, no issue : go for the Air2S, or even, the AIR2 which is just a bit more expensive than the mini 2 combo brand new ! The video is really choppy, seems that the bitrate is not sufficient to keep all details

For the size, i agree, the mini 2 is just whaou, it does not produce this huge bee sound that the Air 2 or Air 2s has, but the video quality result for me was not worth the price tag ( it's 600€ in europe with fly combo and you find AIR 2 combo for 750€ on amazon warehouse )

it's interesting that a lot of users are saying MINI 2 equals AIR 2S in video quality.
I had both, and i can say to you MINI 2 is not as good as the AIR 2S.

I could send samples to you. Their is a lot of noise with the mini 2, even with sunny days. The sky is just white, and the mini 2 can not have sufficient dynamic range. For me, no issue : go for the Air2S, or even, the AIR2 which is just a bit more expensive than the mini 2 combo brand new ! The video is really choppy, seems that the bitrate is not sufficient to keep all details

For the size, i agree, the mini 2 is just whaou, it does not produce this huge bee sound that the Air 2 or Air 2s has, but the video quality result for me was not worth the price tag ( it's 600€ in europe with fly combo and you find AIR 2 combo for 750€ on amazon warehouse )

I still think the Air 2 is the best deal going in the drone world right now, at least for someone who just wants some natural-looking pics and videos and who doesn't do a lot of post-processing. In that case it would be the Air 2S. The Air 2 is more than sufficient for me at the moment. That little thing is still amazing.

I've been stuck on this question for a while and ultimately decided to go Mavic Air 2 as a primary drone, but a Mini 1 as a backup. 2.7K is enough for me. Personally, the reason I went with the Mini is that it's lighter. My overall plan is to film athletic events for my educational institution, and they want to mitigate injury as much as possible. The Mini series is the only one that has the cage just in case a worst case scenario happens.
The only reason I didn't go with the Mini 2 is because I could not find a better deal for the Fly More Combo. I found an eBay Fly More Combo for the Mini 1 for less than a normal Mini 2.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98