DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s operating temperature

remotehorizons

Reactions
Site
remotehorizons.com
I currently have a Mavic Air 2 and I am looking closely at the Air 2s and everything it offers, especially the significantly improved sensor for stills and video.

My one concern, as a landscape photographer, is the change to the operating temperature. Flying in winter at low temperatures is of no concern with the Air 2, as it operates down to -10 degrees celsius. However, the Air 2s only operates down to 0 degrees celsius.

I'm wondering what impact this change in spec has in real-life situations. For example, is it the case that the battery keeps the drone warm even at lower air temperatures? Or is it the case that as you ascend air temperature will impact upon the drones ability to fly to the extent that it would eventually drop from the sky at a certain temperature. I read that for every 1000 ft in altitude above sea level, temperature drops approximately 6.5 degrees celsius. That means at 400 ft you could expect a temperature drop of approximately 2.5 degrees celsius. In essence that would mean that if you are flying from sea level, you wouldn't want to be flying in any temperature less than 3 degrees celcius, or you would risk losing your drone. With the Air 2 you could be flying with a sea level temperature of -7 degrees celsius - this is a really big difference.

I'm looking forward to hearing your experiences and opinions.

Considering that batteries are the same it really does not make any sense.
We have a few clients that are testing now but you might consider getting the Air 2S wet Suit for the Drone to help fly in extreme cold temps.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly our Air 2/S in extreme conditions.

I bought a air2s was planning to sell my mavic 2air bought it because I need airsense in the summer live near hostipal also fly all year around on the west cost of Ireland it does not get really cold but I love flying in the winter nobody around decided to keep my air 2 if sold would be giving it away because of the air2s so I'll have the air2s for the summer and mair2 for winter also I find the mavic air a little quiter I think the temp difference...bigger fan draws in more air so electronics maybe stressed under really cold temps.also been on the west coast of the altantic wind chill can drop temps down. Yes one drone for all year round is the mavic air2 is a all seasons drone while I'm afraid after buying it the air2s really is only a spring summer and autumn drone which I will fly due to small aircraft and hospitals near where I fly and air traffic in the winter drops off and then when it comes to winter it will be the mavic air 2 all the way it's still in my mind is the really great drone.

Reactions: sincere7ba
Was on to dji today it seems the two drones are the same regarding operating temps it's all to do with the battery and they use the same battery I think it's just the operating temp that shortens the life of the battery they said that you will get a warning and I did get a warning flying mh mavic air2 when it was below 0 dont know why manual said 10- I'd say it was a mistake because all there other drones are 0.

Reactions: DAR23 and JustADude
I was testing batteries on the Air2S in florida today at 88F outside and sunny. I flew in sport mode until the battery was depleted enough to return home. The internal battery temps went over 60 celcius flying in constant sport mode and not letting off the throttle. The second half of the test, I flew in sport mode only for 50 percent of the flight, then switched to Normal mode. The temps reached about 53 Celsius. LESSON: CONSTANT HIGH THROTTLE SPORT MODE IN HIGH TEMPS WILL LIKELY CAUSE ACCELERATED DAMAGE TO YOUR BATTERIES. So , when it's hot, fly slow and avoid sport mode unless you really need to use it.

I currently have a Mavic Air 2 and I am looking closely at the Air 2s and everything it offers, especially the significantly improved sensor for stills and video.

My one concern, as a landscape photographer, is the change to the operating temperature. Flying in winter at low temperatures is of no concern with the Air 2, as it operates down to -10 degrees celsius. However, the Air 2s only operates down to 0 degrees celsius.

I'm wondering what impact this change in spec has in real-life situations. For example, is it the case that the battery keeps the drone warm even at lower air temperatures? Or is it the case that as you ascend air temperature will impact upon the drones ability to fly to the extent that it would eventually drop from the sky at a certain temperature. I read that for every 1000 ft in altitude above sea level, temperature drops approximately 6.5 degrees celsius. That means at 400 ft you could expect a temperature drop of approximately 2.5 degrees celsius. In essence that would mean that if you are flying from sea level, you wouldn't want to be flying in any temperature less than 3 degrees celcius, or you would risk losing your drone. With the Air 2 you could be flying with a sea level temperature of -7 degrees celsius - this is a really big difference.

I'm looking forward to hearing your experiences and opinions.
I would guess, since the only big change in the air2s from the ma2 is the camera and gimbal, that the operating temp change may have to do with that part of the drone. Perhaps the gimbal will malfunction at lower temps. Who knows.

I would guess, since the only big change in the air2s from the ma2 is the camera and gimbal, that the operating temp change may have to do with that part of the drone. Perhaps the gimbal will malfunction at lower temps. Who knows.

I know some people have guessed that colder temps have caused some of the "gimbal stutter" on the Air 2. Maybe it's worse with a larger camera?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143