DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s RTH camera position question

xiarcher

Reactions
So upgraded from Air 2 to the Air 2s. Question, Took it for a test flight and all seems OK except when I Tested RTH I was 800 feet away and 125 feet high. The drone turned and started to RTH with no issue, once overhead the camera automaticly pointed down as it decended. Is this a setting I'm missing? I did this several times and same result, and no
I didn't touch the controller. looking at the manual I don't see anything about this but could be reading something wrong. Any help would be great. Again this is on the Air 2s.

This is proper RTH behavior for the Air 2S. When you take off, after establishing the drone is stable off the ground, go up to about 21 ft and point the camera straight down and the drone will capture its home point. On RTH the gimbal points the camera down again to help align precise landing.

Reactions: BurntFloridian
It's a really nice feature. If you activate video you'll get a nice recording and see the camera go to horizontal just before touchdown.

Thanks for the info, reading the manual I was thinking the vision sensors were doing the work not the camera. But I did notice the camera returning to horizontal. I'll try again after the monsoon season. lol

It's likely both. At 30 m the vision sensors won't "see" where the came can get a good view. I suppose the camera stores and image of the takeoff area when it is high enough after takeoff. When lining up for precision landing the takeoff camera image can be referenced to help the drone line up correctly along with GPS location; closer to ground the vision sensors can help. Ground proximity sensors would know when the flip the camera gimbal back up.
It's really important not to disrupt the takeoff off area to make sure it is the same when the drone returns.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rejdmast