DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s rth isn't accurate

jeffy351

Reactions
My new air 2s with basic controller only connects to 13-16 satellites and when it returns to home it is always off by 3-15 feet. The mini 2 connected to 19-23 satellites and the rth accuracy was always within 2 feet of actual take off. The air 2s was refurbished, I'm thinking of returning it. Can I get a refund on the DJI care warranty if I return the drone. I've had it for about ten days and I have a 30 day return policy on the drone.

More details needed. Check the Air 2S manual for specifics about RTH; there are several variations, all explained. The manual describes how high you need to fly straight up to get a visual fix on the landing spot.
For precision landing you need a clearly identified landing spot and area which is unchanged from takeoff.

My new air 2s with basic controller only connects to 13-16 satellites and when it returns to home it is always off by 3-15 feet.
What that indicates is that you are using GPS alone for the RTH autolanding.
That is the kind of (in)accuracy that you get with consumer GPS and there's nothing wrong with it.
If you want your RTH autolanding to be right on the spot every time, you need to use the Precision Landing Feature.
The requirements of PL are explained on p16 of your manual, here:
I'm thinking of returning it. Can I get a refund on the DJI care warranty if I return the drone. I've had it for about ten days and I have a 30 day return policy on the drone.
There's nothing wrong with the drone.
You just aren't giving PL what it needs to work properly.
But that's not a big deal as PL is just a gimmick anyway.
You can cancel RTH anytime and resume control to land the drone wherever you want.

More details needed. Check the Air 2S manual for specifics about RTH; there are several variations, all explained. The manual describes how high you need to fly straight up to get a visual fix on the landing spot.
For precision landing you need a clearly identified landing spot and area which is unchanged from takeoff.
I'm doing everything the same with both drones. I didn't receive a manual but I will look online for more information. Thanks.

The Mini 2 does not have precision landing, the Air 2S can land on a dime if you fallow the manual. Basically once you start the engines, without moving the drone horizontally, you need to ascend straight up to at least 23 feet and give it a few seconds to capture it's landing position, only then can you take off or do other maneuvers.

The aircraft automatically scans and attempts to match the terrain features below during RTH. When the
current terrain matches the Home Point terrain, the aircraft will land. A prompt will appear in DJI Fly if the
terrain match fails.

Landing Protection is activated during Precision Landing.
The Precision Landing performance is subject to the following conditions:

a. The Home Point must be recorded upon takeoff and must not be changed during flight. Otherwise,
the aircraft will have no record of the Home Point terrain features.
b. During takeoff, the aircraft must ascend at least 7 m before flying horizontally.
c. The Home Point terrain features must remain largely unchanged.
d. The terrain features of the Home Point must be sufficiently distinctive. Terrain such as snow-covered
areas are not suitable.
e. The lighting conditions must not be too light or too dark.
The following actions are available during Precision Landing:
a. Press the throttle stick down to accelerate landing.
b. Move the control sticks in any direction to stop Precision Landing. The aircraft will descend vertically
after the control sticks are released

The Mini 2 does not have precision landing, the Air 2S can land on a dime if you fallow the manual. Basically once you start the engines, without moving the drone horizontally, you need to ascend straight up to at least 23 feet and give it a few seconds to capture it's landing position, only then can you take off or do other maneuvers.

The aircraft automatically scans and attempts to match the terrain features below during RTH. When the
current terrain matches the Home Point terrain, the aircraft will land. A prompt will appear in DJI Fly if the
terrain match fails.

Landing Protection is activated during Precision Landing.
The Precision Landing performance is subject to the following conditions:

a. The Home Point must be recorded upon takeoff and must not be changed during flight. Otherwise,
the aircraft will have no record of the Home Point terrain features.
b. During takeoff, the aircraft must ascend at least 7 m before flying horizontally.
c. The Home Point terrain features must remain largely unchanged.
d. The terrain features of the Home Point must be sufficiently distinctive. Terrain such as snow-covered
areas are not suitable.
e. The lighting conditions must not be too light or too dark.
The following actions are available during Precision Landing:
a. Press the throttle stick down to accelerate landing.
b. Move the control sticks in any direction to stop Precision Landing. The aircraft will descend vertically
after the control sticks are released
Much appreciated, thank you.

As others have mentioned above, there are several versions of RTH on each drone. The Air 2s for example will just descend straight down if you are within 16 feet of it's home point. They figure you can pilot it back at that point if you are playing with a drone that close. If it's farther out, it will RTH straight back at whatever height it's at. And if its really far out over 164 feet, then it does the full RTH which it ascends to your pre-set height turns around and comes straight home and lands on the spot.

Reactions: jeffy351
My new air 2s with basic controller only connects to 13-16 satellites and when it returns to home it is always off by 3-15 feet. The mini 2 connected to 19-23 satellites and the rth accuracy was always within 2 feet of actual take off. The air 2s was refurbished, I'm thinking of returning it. Can I get a refund on the DJI care warranty if I return the drone. I've had it for about ten days and I have a 30 day return policy on the drone.
My A2S land on the landing pad every time using RTH from 50 feet distance or 5000 ft distance. I almost always have around 20 or more satellites on connection to the controller.

Reactions: jeffy351
My A2S land on the landing pad every time using RTH from 50 feet distance or 5000 ft distance. I almost always have around 20 or more satellites on connection to the controller.
The number of sats doesn't make teh RTH autoland any more precise.
GPS does not have the accuracy to consistently put the drone on the launch pad.
The Precision Landing Feature, which uses optical technology is what gives that degree of landing precision.

Reactions: Skyryder
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ototo