DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 3 my thoughts

old man mavic

Premium Pilot
Reactions
well the comments i make, on my first impressions of my new Air 3 ,now i have flown it several times ,will be my personal thoughts ,and will not include the camera specs ,with regards to optical performance,which i leave to those with much more knowledge in such matters ,me not being one of them.
for me this Air 3 is not only the natural replacement for my MPP ,but also, flight wise ,possibly the Mavic 2 line up as well
its performance, flight time ,and functionality ,are such an improvement ,on what has come before the advent of the Mavic 3 series
it has taken the best parts of its larger brother ,and packaged them in a more compact design ,and to boot has given it the best Assent /Descent speed of any other DJI drone
the new Occusynce 4 has added further signal reliability and security ,between the RC and drone
distance is not of interest to me personally ,its having a solid reliable link at all times ,that interests me the most.
in terms of the price point for the fly more combo ,it wins hands down over the Mavic 3 line up
all in all from my perspective, it is a winner

Last edited:
Holy Mackerel, have you checked the maximum descent speed OMM?
10 m/s is about 2/3 of free fall for some drones.
I don't know if PhantomHelp can process the Air 3's .txt flight logs but if so, any chance of posting one where you do a max speed descent or if you are reluctant to do that the CsvView chart of pitch and roll of the Phantomhelp csv?
I'd love to see what the drone's pitch and roll are doing during such a fast descent! Even better might be the DAT and motor speeds but I don't know if the DAT is readable or processable.
If phantomhelp can not process the .txt flight log, any chance of
a) posting a screen capture of the artificial horizon's antics? Or
b) switching the gimbal to FPV mode, doing a max speed descent and posting the screen capture?
FPV mode should, hopefully, show the roll variations.
The normal gimbal mode might cope with roll variations and the view look unruffled.

Last edited:
Reactions: old man mavic
well the comments i make, on my first impressions of my new Air 3 ,now i have flown sit several times ,will be my personal thoughts ,and will not include the camera specs ,with regards to optical performance,which i leave to those with much more knowledge in such matters ,me not being one of them.
for me this Air 3 is not only the natural replacement for my MPP ,but also, flight wise ,possibly the Mavic 2 line up as well
its performance, flight time ,and functionality ,are such an improvement ,on what has come before the advent of the Mavic 3 series
it has taken the best parts of its larger brother ,and packaged them in a more compact design ,and to boot has given it the best Assent /Descent speed of any other DJI drone
the new Occusynce 4 has added further signal reliability and security ,between the RC and drone
distance is not of interest to me personally ,its having a solid reliable link at all times ,that interests me the most.
in terms of the price point for the fly more combo ,it wins hands down over the Mavic 3 line up
How do you change cameras?
Between the Wide-Angle Camera: 1-3x and Medium Tele Camera: 3-9x

I zoom with the RC 2 Wheel and it goes from 1 to 3 on the screen so 3x I guess
But it says Tap 3 to switch to medium tele camera: 3-9x
But it is now on 3 and that changes nothing
So is it going to the other camera and the 9x without the Tap 3 step?

A little confusing to me anyway :rolleyes:

@Yorkshire_Pud well to be honest with you, that speed is in sport mode,and its something i very rarely use when flying my drones
and i certainly wont be doing so any time soon, till i have got at least 10 to 15 flights on each battery ,i like to give them chance to settle in when they are new
all i know is that the Air 3 from a flying point of view ,is darn good

Reactions: bassnbeau
@Wild Drone Pilot i have set my C2 button at the rear of the RC ,to switch between the cameras, it saves messing up the screen with sweaty fingers ,and i have set the C1 button to change when the bottom light is on, it has 3 modes ,off ,on, and auto ,and pressing the button scrolls between them

Reactions: bassnbeau
well the comments i make, on my first impressions of my new Air 3 ,now i have flown it several times ,will be my personal thoughts ,and will not include the camera specs ,with regards to optical performance,which i leave to those with much more knowledge in such matters ,me not being one of them.
Same Here. I love my Air 3 for all those reasons. Max distance for me is never more than 1 mile. Signal reliability is a must. Battery life wow! 70MM camera is fire!
How do you change cameras?
Between the Wide-Angle Camera: 1-3x and Medium Tele Camera: 3-9x

I zoom with the RC 2 Wheel and it goes from 1 to 3 on the screen so 3x I guess
But it says Tap 3 to switch to medium tele camera: 3-9x
But it is now on 3 and that changes nothing
So is it going to the other camera and the 9x without the Tap 3 step?

A little confusing to me anyway :rolleyes:
I set the Fn button to double-press to switch cameras

@Yorkshire_Pud well to be honest with you, that speed is in sport mode,and its something i very rarely use when flying my drones
and i certainly wont be doing so any time soon, till i have got at least 10 to 15 flights on each battery ,i like to give them chance to settle in when they are new
all i know is that the Air 3 from a flying point of view ,is darn good
Fair enough but I do wonder if it is a misprint in the manual, it is awfully fast lol.

Reactions: old man mavic
@Yorkshire_Pud ,Ian in London ,has posted a video of his first flights with the Air 3 ,and of course he had to try out the max assent /descent speeds ,and he went from hover just above the ground full up in sport mode ,and it reached 120m altitude in 12 seconds ,which he stated worked out at 10m/s ,as stated in the specs in the manual, he also said it descended extremely fast as well

Jeepers, I saw 9.3m/s at around 21:12 .
I wonder how long it will be before someone posts a "The descent speed is too fast, my drone didn't stop in time." thread?

The manual lists the VPS measurement range as "Downward Measurement Range: 0.3-14 m" if the drone relies solely on that that isn't giving much braking 'distance'.
I wonder if the descent speed is also barometer limited? Though that wouldn't be a guarantee of against Kamikazi descents up a hill etc..

as far as the descent speed is concerned ,for me that has been achieved ,by several factors
length of the arms, motor angles ,relative to each other ,and also propellor heights between front and rear
these have all contributed to preventing VRS ,when descending at speed ,as they help keep the props in clean air ,and who knows it could have been a safety conscious factor ,allowing the drone to descend quicker ,to remove it from conflict with manned low flying aircraft

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart