DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air2S Climbing Altitude

shawgod

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I took my Air2S out flying the last couple days. Both days I spent a lot of time battling the drone from climbing on its own while going forward. And I am not talking a foot or two. I am talking about 100 ft in height over 1000 ft in distance. The wind was bad yesterday (approx. 25 mph 48 deg F) and wasn't so bad today (approx. 9 mph 49 deg F). A couple of days ago I did a sensor calibration with the camera and sensors. But that should not have done anything like this. So any help would be appreciated.

Reactions: a2tomm
I took my Air2S out flying the last couple days. Both days I spent a lot of time battling the drone from climbing on its own while going forward. And I am not talking a foot or two. I am talking about 100 ft in height over 1000 ft in distance. The wind was bad yesterday (approx. 25 mph 48 deg F) and wasn't so bad today (approx. 9 mph 49 deg F). A couple of days ago I did a sensor calibration with the camera and sensors. But that should not have done anything like this. So any help would be appreciated.
It's unrelated to the wind.
Turn off your obstacle avoidance and see if that makes a difference.

Reactions: ANT0407
Check to see if you have it set to go around an object instead of Off or Stop. If so, turn it to stop. You can also check to see if the sensors have a fingerprint on them. That happened to me one time and drove me nuts. Cleaned them with a sensor pen and all my problems went away.

It's unrelated to the wind.
Turn off your obstacle avoidance and see if that makes a difference.
I am flying the drone in Sport mode so the sensors are turned off.

I am flying the drone in Sport mode so the sensors are turned off.
Turned off or just can't be relied on when flying at full tilt?
Obstacle avoidance is the most likely cause of what you described.
Disable obstacle avoidance in your app settings and see if it makes any difference.

Reactions: mavictk and ANT0407
That's because you have obstacle avoidance set to evade (I don't remember the exact name now) instead of brake. Use brake, and it will fly better, and you'll still have OA engaged.

Apart from that it shouldn't be climbing on its own, check that the bottom sensors are clean as if I remember correctly, they are still working even on sport mode.

Turned off or just can't be relied on when flying at full tilt?
Obstacle avoidance is the most likely cause of what you described.
Disable obstacle avoidance in your app settings and see if it makes any difference.
OA turns off in Sport mode, regardless of setting. A warning even pops up when you put it in Sport mode.

Reactions: mavictk
The key here is fighting high winds and UP drafts ,the Air2s and Mini3 just a week ago in 20 plus winds on the ground acted the same ,count your blessing I would rather it go up than down .toy drones are famous for this (true fly away )problem .When flying in wind always watch your battery ,it may take allot more to make it home .I learned the hard way .

If nothing else works, it might be worth your time to turn off “Display Radar Map” under “Safety”. Nothing to lose but I’d still be cautious and stay close.

Hi there. Thanks for notifying us about this concern. We're sorry you've experienced such issues. Here are some recommendations that may help the performance of the drone:
1. Calibrate the RC, aircraft IMU, and compass.
2. After the calibrations, please do a test flight in an environment with a strong GPS signal.
Kindly keep us updated. Thank you.

This is what DJI is suggesting. Can someone tell me how to Calibrate the RC?

Hi there. Thanks for notifying us about this concern. We're sorry you've experienced such issues. Here are some recommendations that may help the performance of the drone:
1. Calibrate the RC, aircraft IMU, and compass.
They are just suggesting that you recalibrate everything, which is a sign that they have no idea of the cause of the issue.
It would be impossible for a compass issue to cause the incident.
If any of those things were causing a problem, you'd have the problem each flight.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada