DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air3 Lightroom import problem

PStafford

Reactions
Thx in advance for any help - at my wits end.

I am trying to import 10 dng images taken with the 3X cam on my Air3 (has latest f/w update) into Light Room Classic (also latest version).
I'm shooting raw only, 4:3, 12 mp. Images are first copied from the uSD to an ext SSD. I import into LR using Add

The first 4 shots are with the 1X, the last 6 are with the 3X, zoomed to 9X. When the pics are first imported, they look correct, and the same as I saw on the RC display when I took them.
1703971573705.png

Moments later, as LR applies the preview engine, the 3X images change, looking like they were also taken with the 1X camera. Note how the dark area at the bottom is now much larger in the last 6 images.
1703971609822.png
This is not the usual problem with previews, where folks complain about it being the wrong exposure etc. The picture post-preview processing is not even the same image- its zoomed out looking like the 1X cam took it.

I've tried all the preview types- 1:1, Std, smart etc. - they all behave the same.
I've edited LR preferences to select the DJI FC8282 Air3 camera, and checked "override presetting for specific camera."
1703972122344.png

I've looked at the Air3 drone settings but nothing seems to be relevant.

what am I missing??

Try loading them separately. Create a New Cat for 1x, a new one for 3x etc. See if that works

You said 3x zoomed to 9x - do you mean a digital zoom was applied to the images? I wonder if LR simply shows you a raw 3x image without digital zoom. The initial zoomed view is a JPEG preview embedded into DNG, then LR unpacks the DNG itself and shows you an image without a digital zoom.

Digital zoom is just a crop, you can achieve the same effect by 3x crop in LR.

Reactions: Paul Harvey
Hi Panovolo
That's really good to know about a JPEG embedded into the dng. However, the unpacked view LR shows is about identical to the 1X.
I'd love to hear from others about their experiences with the Air3 3X camera, and LR

Pano - brilliant. The data is weird though. The air3 has a 24mm f1.7, and a 70mm F2.8.
LR metadata shows the pics in question to be 19.35 mm at F2.8. F2.8 proves it used the 3X camera, but how the heck did it get zoomed out to 19mm? That data shouldn't even exist...

24 and 70 mm are calculated for the full frame aka 35 mm sensor. Air3 sensor is much smaller (1/1.3"), that's why it says 19mm. The diagonal of 1/1.3 sensor is 12 mm. The diagonal of full frame sensor is 43 mm. 43/12×19=68 mm, so you indeed used 70 mm 3x camera for these shots.

still does not explain that the field of view for 1x and 3x shots looks the same.

I ran a really simple experiment. Save both jpg + dng on the Air3, one pic at 1X, one at 3X. No digital zoom.
Both came through after preview processing with dng looking the same as jpg (correct)

I wonder if using the digital zoom on the air3 screws things up in the dng as read by LR?
As Pano pointed out "Digital zoom is just a crop, you can achieve the same effect by 3x crop in LR.", so there's no need to use the digital zooming.
At least I can use the 3X with confidence now, and put the weird effects of digital zoom in LR down to a mystery of the cosmos.
Thanks to all who chimed in on my first post to this forum.

image.png

Hi Panovolo
That's really good to know about a JPEG embedded into the dng. However, the unpacked view LR shows is about identical to the 1X.
I'd love to hear from others about their experiences with the Air3 3X camera, and LR
I use the Air 3, DNG images and Lightroom/Photoshop. I have never had any issues importing the images into LR, regardless of the camera or aspect ratio. The only thing that I can suggest is that you verify your "Apply During Import" settings, if any. If you are applying any special settings when you bring in the images, you may be getting unintended results.

I've been using LR for years and have never had that problem. And I've had the A3 since it came out...same thing: no problems. I agree with Rick Murry, check your import settings.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas