DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

"Aircraft in Area" Warning - Where does this come from?

FlyGuy8675309

Reactions
The 'Aircraft in Area' warning started a while back.. just wondering where they are pulling that data from. Is it from something like Flightradar24 (for passenger AC) or are they warning me another DJI craft is up in the area? Anyone?

Last edited:
The only time I’ve seen this is when flying a matrice 200 series and I believe the data comes from the transponder receiver built into the aircraft.

I don’t have any answer for this warning if flying mavic.

The only time I’ve seen this is when flying a matrice 200 series and I believe the data comes from the transponder receiver built into the aircraft.

I don’t have any answer for this warning if flying mavic.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah -- I read some of the high-end stuff has the receiver. This seems to have happened with an app update a month or so ago? I'll grab a screen shot next time it comes up.

Reactions: dewster
It comes from aircraft equipped with ADS-B transponders. Not all aircraft have them, Airbus always has, Boeing, I think does now on later versions, some private aircraft have them but it’s not mandatory. It will not show aircraft not equipped or aircraft flying in areas not covered by an ADS groundstation. If you want to look at the aggregated result install Flightradar24 on your device and watch all the world’s aircraft flying anywhere. If you live in a remote area not covered by a groundstation you can fill that area by setting up a station and connecting it to your internet. Probably, you will be able to get a receiver for free if your area is not covered.

Reactions: Dr V.I.T.
It comes from aircraft equipped with ADS-B transponders. Not all aircraft have them, Airbus always has, Boeing, I think does now on later versions, some private aircraft have them but it’s not mandatory. It will not show aircraft not equipped or aircraft flying in areas not covered by an ADS groundstation. If you want to look at the aggregated result install Flightradar24 on your device and watch all the world’s aircraft flying anywhere. If you live in a remote area not covered by a groundstation you can fill that area by setting up a station and connecting it to your internet. Probably, you will be able to get a receiver for free if your area is not covered.

OK - so the DJI Go App is pulling this transponder data from an ADS ground station. (Look all this up - looks pretty easy to make one too!). Is this something new DJI GO is doing or did a new ADS get installed in my area???

Also: I use Flightradar24 a lot when plane spotting and for keeping track of helicopters in the area. Good app.

Yes I was just going to say that: Hit Flight Radar if you're in a rural area and they will send you everything you need to set up a ground station PLUS you get a business account with all the inapp purchases for free....My brother received one he lives in the boondocks of upstate, Ny

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada