DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Airline Travel with Mavic Pro

Cfink

Reactions
I am considering taking my Mavic pro and a couple of batteries and my controller with me to Switzerland. Has anyone had any issues with TSA or security with having a drone and batteries in carryon luggage?

I am considering taking my Mavic pro and a couple of batteries and my controller with me to Switzerland. Has anyone had any issues with TSA or security with having a drone and batteries in carryon luggage?
I’ve flown with my Mavic Pro many times, just be sure you check the laws where you are going. You’d be surprised at some of the international drone import laws. I.e. Ecuador has an import “tax” of the full value of your drone. Ridiculous.

Reactions: Cfink
Hi Cfink

I found that traveling is easier when I have the the drone packed neatly in the travel case. Both batteries removed. I travel from South-Africa to Madagascar a few times a year and never had an issue when it comes to checking in. Just keep it as hand baggage\ carry on and you wont have a problem. Even in a 3rd world country they don't even flinch or question it anymore. I do keep a lipo safe bag with me just in case they get problematic, but never had an issue.

You should check your owner's guide for your drone. My Mavic Air manual discusses the hazards of LiPo batteries and that they should be drained to 30% or below for airline travel. The manual also says the batteries will drain themselves if they are not used for 10 days -- in other words, the pack will come on and discharge down 10 days after last use. The manual indicates the battery will get warm when this happens (of course, since the energy must go somewhere). See bottom of page 28:

Mavic Air Owners Manual

Hello, I am living here in Zürich, Switzerland, as long as you follows rules here I think you no worries. PLEASE TAKE IT AS YOUR HAND CARRY BAG. WELCOME TO THE LAND OF CHEESE AND CHOCOLATES.

Reactions: Krvelasco and Cfink
I just traveled to Denver from Florida with no issues but I packed my drone in my checked baggage just to make it easier. All you need to do to take it through security in your carry-on is to make sure that all your batteries are completely discharged and everything is turned off and stored securely

You don't need to completely discharge them or even go down to 30%. No need for lipo bags either. No harm in having one, but no foul not having one. After all, do you do any of that for your laptop?

Reactions: W2EJ and Porky
I just traveled to Denver from Florida with no issues but I packed my drone in my checked baggage just to make it easier. All you need to do to take it through security in your carry-on is to make sure that all your batteries are completely discharged and everything is turned off and stored securely
Completely discharged is bad advice and you don't need to do that. It is not good for your batteries and there is no need. Although my case has a cutout that fits the batteries tightly, I still have a small piece of black electrical tape over the contacts for extra safety, though not needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Porky
Completely discharged is bad advice and you don't need to do that. It is not good for your batteries and there is no need. Although my case has a cutout that fits the batteries tightly, I still have a small piece of black electrical over the contacts for extra safety, though not needed.

100% agree, you forgot “tape” ;)

Never had any problems but I always carry my receipt to show that I bought this in another country. Some countries will tax you upon arrival if the item is too new (less than 6 months old) because they think you might be selling it. Even with the receipt it will help to show what you paid so if they want to tax you they will not tax you based upon what the item cost in that country--which may be higher than where you bought it.

I’ve brought it to places like Dominican Republic and such and never had a problem especially with TSA. It’s pretty common to them at this point now

I contacted (regional) airline first and got email confirmation that it could be carried as hand (NOT HOLD - fire risk) baggage. Saves arguments at airport. Get proper LIPO bags for spare batteries - good practice anyway. I find aviation authorities in foreign counties usually very happy to advise. Safe flying!

No, not at all! I’ve flown 5 or 6 times this year with my Mavic Pro and 4 batteries in carry-on and never an issue with TSA.

You should check your owner's guide for your drone. My Mavic Air manual discusses the hazards of LiPo batteries and that they should be drained to 30% or below for airline travel. The manual also says the batteries will drain themselves if they are not used for 10 days -- in other words, the pack will come on and discharge down 10 days after last use. The manual indicates the battery will get warm when this happens (of course, since the energy must go somewhere). See bottom of page 28:

Mavic Air Owners Manual

I find my M1P batteries start to discharge after 3 to 4 days. The warmth in the carrying case is disturbing at first until you realize that the stored energy has to be released somehow.

You don't need to completely discharge them or even go down to 30%. No need for lipo bags either. No harm in having one, but no foul not having one. After all, do you do any of that for your laptop?
Drones use LiPo, laptops use Li-ion. LiPo is a little more volatile. DJI isn't recommending discharging to 30% for no reason.

Reactions: Slim.slamma
Drones use LiPo, laptops use Li-ion. LiPo is a little more volatile. DJI isn't recommending discharging to 30% for no reason.

What about mobile phones, a lot of the latest generation now use LiPo batteries. People who travel will definitely not discharge them to 30% so what’s the difference, other than the size.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78