DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Airmap LAANC flight submission question

marklyn

Reactions
I've submitted two flight plans via the Airmap app (iOS) and both said submitted, both are for class E airports.
It's been a few hours now, when should I expect to receive a response? Both airports are listed as LAANC capable.
They are listed in the app with the status of "Future".

How does the response come, via the app, text or email?

Reactions: Gbpro
I've submitted two flight plans via the Airmap app (iOS) and both said submitted, both are for class E airports.
It's been a few hours now, when should I expect to receive a response? Both airports are listed as LAANC capable.

It shows authorization in AirMap basically as soon as you submit the flight. I also get a text confirmation a few seconds later.

Are you sure you’re actually in Class E? The rule only restricts (subject to authorization) flights where there is Class E surface area. So if you’re in an area where Class E starts at 700’ AGL, you might not be getting authorization because it’s not required. Just a thought. Then again, with a status of “Future,” it sounds like it’s just not operating there yet.

It shows authorization in AirMap basically as soon as you submit the flight. I also get a text confirmation a few seconds later.

Are you sure you’re actually in Class E? The rule only restricts (subject to authorization) flights where there is Class E surface area. So if you’re in an area where Class E starts at 700’ AGL, you might not be getting authorization because it’s not required. Just a thought. Then again, with a status of “Future,” it sounds like it’s just not operating there yet.
Was thinking the same thing...

This is for the Kapalua (JHM) airport near Lahaina, which is controlled/managed by the main Maui airport (OGG).
From what I've read, I need to get their permission (OGG) to fly near the smaller airport (JHM).
Plus, where I want to fly (right off the coast and toward the sea) there is a zero foot ceiling (2nd attachment).
The departure/arrival flight path is perpendicular to where I want to fly so I know I'm not in that flight path and my altitude I used was 100'.
Any ideas?

Attachments

• kapalua.PNG
    kapalua.PNG
    247.4 KB · Views: 16
  • kapalua1.PNG
    kapalua1.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
This is for the Kapalua (JHM) airport near Lahaina, which is controlled/managed by the main Maui airport (OGG).
From what I've read, I need to get their permission (OGG) to fly near the smaller airport (JHM).
Plus, where I want to fly (right off the coast and toward the sea) there is a zero foot ceiling (2nd attachment).
The departure/arrival flight path is perpendicular to where I want to fly so I know I'm not in that flight path and my altitude I used was 100'.
Any ideas?

Yeah, you’re right that is Class E surface area per the sectional. As you point out, it shows “0” for authorization, which as I understand it means it’s not subject to automatic LAANC authorization and you have to submit a manual request. What does AirMap say about authorization when you’re in flight planning? I got a rejection notice (didn’t actually submit the plan but the app noted it would be rejected upon submission) one time when I was just playing around (not flying) due to it’s being after dark.

When I am able to get authorization AirMap says “Automated Authorization Available Below XXX feet” during flight planning. Then I get the text confirmation a second or two after submission.

Attachments

• 62247C77-111A-4EE5-B4B4-D57AA9EB937E.jpeg
    62247C77-111A-4EE5-B4B4-D57AA9EB937E.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 11
Mine says nothing like that. When I hit submit, it says 'submitted' and still sitting as a status of Future in Airmap. No text, email, nothing. Very puzzling indeed.
I even set up a flight path near the main airport (OGG) in a park next to the airport and same thing... nothing further on that one either.

Mine says nothing like that. When I hit submit, it says 'submitted' and still sitting as a status of Future in Airmap. No text, email, nothing. Very puzzling indeed.
I even set up a flight path near the main airport (OGG) in a park next to the airport and same thing... nothing further on that one either.

Here’s what I get (attached). This is in the pre-planning page but I’m pretty sure it says the same thing during planning.

Attachments

• 71B29C0D-75B1-4EB0-A946-4CD2EFBAF662.jpeg
    71B29C0D-75B1-4EB0-A946-4CD2EFBAF662.jpeg
    121.5 KB · Views: 12
Here’s what I get (attached). This is in the pre-planning page but I’m pretty sure it says the same thing during planning.
Actually, here’s what it says on the planning page just before submission.

Attachments

• 32F820FE-6B95-45BE-B9F9-D29241E60403.jpeg
    32F820FE-6B95-45BE-B9F9-D29241E60403.jpeg
    119.7 KB · Views: 13
No, mine only has a blue submit bar at the bottom, nothing else and I can either click on that (or not). When I click on it then it says submitting flight, then says flight submitted successfully and it is then in my flight list with a status of Future. I've tried on my iPad and Android and the screens/functions appear to be the same and the result is the same.

Great question but probably would get more traction in a separate thread as it's unrelated to this one.

Via text 2-3 minutes later as long as the Airport is listed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman