DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Airspace laws in Canada

TheManx

Reactions
Although I can imagine different countries coming up with unique regulations just for Drones, some may be doing like Canada and just using pilot laws. Canada seems to be following normal airspace laws used by aircraft! I’ve verified this with a couple drone schools and been able to locate suitable flight locations using my local VNC charts and my airspace training.

Perhaps your area is the same.

Although I can imagine different countries coming up with unique regulations just for Drones, some may be doing like Canada and just using pilot laws. Canada seems to be following normal airspace laws used by aircraft! I’ve verified this with a couple drone schools and been able to locate suitable flight locations using my local VNC charts and my airspace training.

Perhaps your area is the same.
I have heard the rules are being loosened up a bit, haven't had a chance to watch video at work tho :(
Canada's drone laws could be relaxed in near future

Reactions: marty`s

rules MAY be changing this year, remember it still has to go through all their processes and approvals. and they have to have all the infrastructure in place (exams, paperwork, guides for the tests, policies) which TC said would take an additional 18 months. You can't for sure say they will definitely change this year. One of the bulletins I had come across has said first part of 2018, which we just passed. So it's mostly still just talk. The latest relaxations in laws (removing no flying over animals or buildings) was a big plus. The insurance part is just a bit overboard, but I see the logic, but it should be offered at a decent rate, you only use your drone for an hour or say a day (most people) so charging what is now 800 bucks for insurance equates to car use. seems unfair. hopefully someone does something right this time up there in the govt.

Reactions: Sloth469
The rules are changing this year (this will get published likely this fall) but you are correct in saying that the testing and implementation of certain components, such as the examination process may occur beyond 2018.

The rules are changing this year (this will get published likely this fall) but you are correct in saying that the testing and implementation of certain components, such as the examination process may occur beyond 2018.

I would like to see their guessed at insurance amount come to pass ;)

So true! Weren't they quoting something like 15/year or something insane?

yup exactly, they were basing it on what liability insurance costs for RC planes, I mean are they stupid? they spend all this time classifying drones as UAV and then say oh well they should be categorized insurance wise as a plane. Technically the 2 are the same at base levels, both are aircraft. both fly the skies by remote. we have full telemetry and video to aid us and prevent accidents. rc planes don't have this. (at least when I used to fly) I know they aren't exactly the same but, if the govt thinks thats how insurance should cover them maybe we should explain that to the insurance companies.... or maybe the govt should :p

"The liability insurance industry for recreational UAS operators is not yet mature. However, it may be assumed that the cost of $100,000 of liability insurance for a recreational UAS operator is estimated as twice the group insurance premium for a modellers association. Liability insurance could amount to an estimated $15 per year. Therefore, the total cost for a pilot with a very small UAS is estimated to be $50 for the first year."

I think whenever they do finally publish changes that there will be a big backlash if they don't get close to this number ;)

Last edited:
yup exactly, they were basing it on what liability insurance costs for RC planes, I mean are they stupid? they spend all this time classifying drones as UAV and then say oh well they should be categorized insurance wise as a plane. Technically the 2 are the same at base levels, both are aircraft. both fly the skies by remote. we have full telemetry and video to aid us and prevent accidents. rc planes don't have this. (at least when I used to fly) I know they aren't exactly the same but, if the govt thinks thats how insurance should cover them maybe we should explain that to the insurance companies.... or maybe the govt should :p

"The liability insurance industry for recreational UAS operators is not yet mature. However, it may be assumed that the cost of $100,000 of liability insurance for a recreational UAS operator is estimated as twice the group insurance premium for a modellers association. Liability insurance could amount to an estimated $15 per year. Therefore, the total cost for a pilot with a very small UAS is estimated to be $50 for the first year."

I think whenever they do finally publish changes that there will be a big backlash if they don't get close to this number ;)
Ummm.... You think Canadians will “backlash” the government when the gov does what they inevitably do in Canada and over-reach,over regulate,and overly financially burden Canadians? I hope you really mean that winky face! I would only say, Since when have the clowns in Ottawa NOT screwed it up and then spent millions to fix a regulatory issue that never needed to happen in the first place? 100k in liability insurance for a person flying a mp...for 15-50 dollars a year? Yeah... I’m sure the feds have their finger fully on the pulse of reality and innocent hobbyists won’t get regulated out of their hobby...

Last edited:
I don’t think the proposed regs are completely crazy or anything,but the idea of forcing recreational quad hobbyists get 100k in liability insurance is ridiculous! If the government wants people to have that much insurance, then it’s reasonable to then allow people to fly in urban parks and open areas,or back yards in the burbs! For that matter. Why force people to fly so far away from populated areas and THEN still burden them with 100k in insurance premium? What are they going to damage? A hundred thousand dollar fence post?!
We will see,but I have to say I’m betting on Ottawa getting it wrong as they almost always do.

Reactions: aznh and Trill136
I also do not really have any problem with reasonable regulations. There undoubtedly needs to be some kind of regulation to keep people from being too obtrusive or annoying.
I don't even mind the idea of some sort of insurance, as long as it is reasonable in price.
After all, if I did happen to hit a $100K fence post, I would like to be insured for it.
OTOH, maybe we should have a list of fence posts to avoid!!!!

Having just returned from Canada and going back in the summer, I would like to learn more about the legalities. I was in Banff and Jasper and didn't see any notices or signs until the final day I was there. It said no drone flying in Banff National Park without a permit. I guess you can say "oops" since I had already flown a few locations. Sorry to be a negligent flier.
I guess the next questions as well is if I got caught, what would be my penalty?

Having just returned from Canada and going back in the summer, I would like to learn more about the legalities. I was in Banff and Jasper and didn't see any notices or signs until the final day I was there. It said no drone flying in Banff National Park without a permit. I guess you can say "oops" since I had already flown a few locations. Sorry to be a negligent flier.
I guess the next questions as well is if I got caught, what would be my penalty?
Well yeah. No flying in national parks. I’d say a fine is what you get most likely,but also you could have your quad confiscated maybe. But who knows

About 400.00 fine for flying in Banff. There was one guy that got caught and was fined this amount, they did not confiscate his MP.

I heard part of a radio announcement today that stated insurance for quads will be mandatory this summer. I’ve looked at the gov website but have been unable to find anything new that would confirm this. Anyone else able to confirm? If so what is your source?

I just purchased a MP yesterday and it’ll be a week or so until it arrives, so I’ve dove headfirst into the regs to have a good understanding of them. First I noticed if you go by forums and even 3rd party sites, they reference Fire Proof tags, and being 75m from all objects, people, houses pets, etc. But I guess there has been a few changes, here’s the TC current guide list for over 250g & under 35kg drones.

Fly your drone:
  • below 90 m above the ground
  • at least 30 m away from vehicles, vessels and the public (if your drone weighs over 250 g and up to 1 kg)
  • at least 75 m away from vehicles, vessels and the public (if your drone weighs over 1 kg and up to 35 kg)
  • at least 5.5 km away from aerodromes (any airport, seaplane base or area where aircraft take off and land)
  • at least 1.8 km away from heliports or aerodromes used by helicopters only
  • outside of controlled or restricted airspace
  • at least 9 km away from a natural hazard or disaster area
  • away from areas where its use could interfere with police or first responders
  • during the day and not in clouds
  • within your sight at all times
  • within 500 m of yourself
  • only if clearly marked with your name, address and telephone number
Flying your drone safely and legally - Transport Canada

Not a fan of the 500m from person, but for how often you will actually want or need to go further, it shouldn’t be a issue. I’d imagine if you ever even wanted to go further, it be a back country situation with population basically at 0%.

Also, the basic knowledge test that is proposed would be alright, can see it being similar to the Boaters Course, if it helps us retain some freedom, come on with it.

I did a quick search and can’t find any info on liability insurance, if it were to become more popular and land it the 15-50 dollar/year range would be nice.

Reactions: coop64

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacjes