DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Airspace laws in Canada

I just purchased a MP yesterday and it’ll be a week or so until it arrives, so I’ve dove headfirst into the regs to have a good understanding of them. First I noticed if you go by forums and even 3rd party sites, they reference Fire Proof tags, and being 75m from all objects, people, houses pets, etc. But I guess there has been a few changes, here’s the TC current guide list for over 250g & under 35kg drones.

Fly your drone:
  • below 90 m above the ground
  • at least 30 m away from vehicles, vessels and the public (if your drone weighs over 250 g and up to 1 kg)
  • at least 75 m away from vehicles, vessels and the public (if your drone weighs over 1 kg and up to 35 kg)
  • at least 5.5 km away from aerodromes (any airport, seaplane base or area where aircraft take off and land)
  • at least 1.8 km away from heliports or aerodromes used by helicopters only
  • outside of controlled or restricted airspace
  • at least 9 km away from a natural hazard or disaster area
  • away from areas where its use could interfere with police or first responders
  • during the day and not in clouds
  • within your sight at all times
  • within 500 m of yourself
  • only if clearly marked with your name, address and telephone number
Flying your drone safely and legally - Transport Canada

Not a fan of the 500m from person, but for how often you will actually want or need to go further, it shouldn’t be a issue. I’d imagine if you ever even wanted to go further, it be a back country situation with population basically at 0%.

Also, the basic knowledge test that is proposed would be alright, can see it being similar to the Boaters Course, if it helps us retain some freedom, come on with it.

I did a quick search and can’t find any info on liability insurance, if it were to become more popular and land it the 15-50 dollar/year range would be nice.
Yeah for sure. I think most people who are into flying quads do understand the need for specific regulation. It’s helpful for both the pilot and anyone else who might question why and where we are flying. Clear rules help everyone. All I can say is I just have so little confidence in our elected officials to come through on anything that makes sense for “the rest of us”.... 100k liability is the proposed legislation....I doubt Ottawa has any clear view of just what it will cost us to insure for that amount. Here’s hoping!

I would be fine with and insurance aroun $50 per year. Kinda makes sense anyway.
I haven't really tried looking for an insurer yet. Might be interesting to see what they say.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Terancemcleod29