DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

All the hubbub over sd...

Reactions
I keep reading you need Class 10 U3 cards for the Mavic Pro on these facebook forums. Unfortunately DJI must not agree because I got this with my Mavic from the factory.

15002116203480.jpg

So why wouldn't this one work just as well?

15002116203911.jpg

So here's the problem, they CAN operate as fast as they need to be, but don't always. People have come here complaining of jumpy video and it's because the stock SD card isn't fast enough for the 4K recording. Class U1 are a minimum of 10MB/s, and that's not always fast enough. Sure you will get a card that can exceed that, but your playing the silicon lottery in this case. Class U3 are rated to support a minimum of 30MB/s so you're always guaranteed that you will get at least that speed and those are rated for 4K recording at up to 120 FPS.

This is some good info. I had no idea about the different classes on SD cards. Thanks to the OP for starting this thread.

SD card speeds are often misunderstood. There are multiple ratings used that pertain to Ultra High Speed (UHS) bus compatible devices and legacy non-UHS devices.

The Mavic has a max video rate of 60 Mbps NOT MB/s.

60 Mbps = 7.5 MB/s

Therefore, a Class 10 (not UHS) or a UHS-I U1 rating is more than fast enough for Mavic but not Phantom 4 Pro which has a max video rate of 100 Mbps.

Finally, the class ratings is based on "write" speeds. The "x" rating is obsolete and could refer to "read" speed which is always faster.

IMO manufacturers are counting on the confusion created by these multiple rating markings.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Dirty Birch
I think the Mavic can only read up to a 64Gb card? I don't think it can read 128Gb.

IMG_0490.jpg

That's not to say it wouldn't actually work, but DJI say they don't support it...

Reactions: The Dirty Birch
I think the Mavic can only read up to a 64Gb card? I don't think it can read 128Gb.
Correct .. 64GB though not Gb. Little "b" means bit. Big "B" means byte (8 bits = 1 byte)

SD card speeds are often misunderstood. There are multiple ratings used that pertain to Ultra High Speed (UHS) bus compatible devices and legacy non-UHS devices.

The Mavic has a max video rate of 60 Mbps NOT MB/s.

60 Mbps = 7.5 MB/s

Therefore, a Class 10 (not UHS) or a UHS-I U1 rating is more than fast enough for Mavic but not Phantom 4 Pro which has a max video rate of 100 Mbps.

Finally, the class ratings is based on "write" speeds. The "x" rating is obsolete and could refer to "read" speed which is always faster.

IMO manufacturers are counting on the confusion created by these multiple rating markings.
I didn't realize it was capped at 60Mbps, I thought it had 120 Mbps.

Incorrect. Mine has a 128GB card and is able to recognize it.
Just because it recognizes it doesn't mean the full capacity will work and there could be read/write problems. DJI explicitly states they only support 64GB for Mavic Pro. If you have any problems with higher capacity cards, DJI will tell you to use 64GB or smaller.

Reactions: Jamison74
I didn't realize it was capped at 60Mbps, I thought it had 120 Mbps.
Yep .. it's not that they cap the video rate .. just the resulting frame rate when you select C4K: 4096×2160 24p or 4K: 3840×2160 24/25/30p

Just because it recognizes it doesn't mean the full capacity will work and there could be read/write problems. DJI explicitly states they only support 64GB for Mavic Pro. If you have any problems with higher capacity cards, DJI will tell you to use 64GB or smaller.
Incorrect? Mate, did you even read my post?
Yes, I read it, and if the card is too large, they generally will not be detectable. The bit addressing wouldn't match up. You can always support smaller cards as they require fewer bits to address the memory blocks. If it requires more bits than the hardware can handle, the expected behavior is that the card will not be detected, since it effectively can't communicate with it. Now moving on to whether it's able to record to capacity, considering I can doing almost 5 hours of 4K 30 FPS recording where as 16GB only got me 36 minutes, I would say it's able to record to capacity.

Ok, related but dumb move. I changed my card to a 64GB. It is stuck-up I could tell quickly it didn't "click" like they usually do, but it was already in. I tried to click it again to remove, but I don't think it is going to work. Ideas?
Thoughts for removing the card and what could have happened? I'm thinking the card has a slightly different shape but cannot confirm until removed. BTW, card is recognized and I have flown multiple times with the "stuck" card in place.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1