DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Allow Upward Gimbal Rotation

Why would you not want to set to allow upward rotation?

If you fly under structures such as a bridge, having the camera tilted up may give a false sense of the clearance between the aircraft and the under side of the bridge. ?

If the camera is looking straight ahead, it's easy to tell if you are going to clear the structure.

There are a couple reasons.
With it disabled, you always know you're straight horizontal when you hit the upper limit.
There's more leeway for the gimbal travel to accommodate AC tilt forward. Otherwise the gimbal will be "pushed down" if a large tilt, like in sport mode, causes the gimbal to reach its mechanical limit.

If you set F button to alternate between gimbal up/down (1 tap), you will always have a quick way to reset the camera to horizontal. I leave the gimbal setting on permanently, to allow upward travel. I find it much more useful for filming, especially with sunsets and cloud formations, or if flying low and wanting to record something slightly higher than the drone (also useful with the digital zoom on video mode, doing structural inspections). I set the F button on 2 taps for the LED on/off, for landing assistance with illumination on late afternoon (twilight) returns. And note that you can also manually touch the screen to activate gimbal control and drag the gimbal/lens around (including up and down), to get a specific line of view. [Mavic Air 2 + iphone 11 Pro + DJI Fly]

why not the more you can see the better.

Reactions: ICHOTT
It’s useful to see ‘up’ whilst inspecting/viewing structures and also taking panoramas/spherical shots, so yes, leave it enabled.

why not the more you can see the better.

I'll tilt the camera up for a look around, but when I'm on approach to the structure, I prefer the straight ahead look and level the aircraft below what I can see on the monitor.

I do use the tilt up quite a bit on both the Spark and MA2 as it's beneficial when filming something above such as hot air balloons. ? :)

Back in the day of the Phantom 3's, if you pointed the gimbal above horizontal, you often caught the props in the video footage or photo shot. That's one reason that this setting was utilized back then. Sometimes there are historical reasons for software features or settings that just stick around.

I like it, especially with convective type clouds. It's great for hyperlapse's in that situation. I like David's method to recenter. Unless you try really hard you might learn something new every day :)

OP is asking for a reason to NOT allow it to go up past horizontal, not why it should be allowed.

Sure, you could use Fn or C1/C2 (for remotes that have them) to center the gimbal, but first it will point down, then center. If you're recording, those flips might spoil your shot.

If you're varying your gimbal tilts during recording, you might want it to stop right at horizontal and not overshoot it. Manually changing tilt might otherwise be difficult to get it right on horizontal while recording.
It's rare I would want to go above horizontal so I leave it locked.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsplum