DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Almost crashed my Air 3 today

I made you a video, I will upload it shortly.
Edit: Behaviour before and after

Last edited:
I made you a video, I will upload it shortly.
Edit: Behaviour befor and after
Thanks. I checked my AIR3. It doesn't have the option you selected in the advanced safety setting. Looks like DJI got rid of it.

As you can see, is not stable, harder to control inside at least but you have no sensors to disturb you.
Edit: what firmware do you have? On drone and rc2. On drone the latest is 01.00.1000 and RC2 is 02.00.500. I still have it on 02.00.300. Is sad if they remove it just after 1 month.

As you can see, is not stable, harder to control inside at least but you have no sensors to disturb you.
Edit: what firmware do you have? On drone and rc2. On drone the latest is 01.00.1000 and RC2 is 02.00.500. I still have it on 02.00.300. Is sad if they remove it just after 1 month.
aircraft fw- 1.00.0400
rc fw- 1.00.0700

To have that option on Air 3 you need 01.00.1000 on aircraft and 02.00.300 on RC2. You can also see video trough sensors.
Edit: watch this, he made a good video about it

Last edited:
I don't believe there is any software or firmware that disable the landing sensors. They are always on regardless if you disable "all sensors". The landing sensors are not going to turn off, no matter what oprion your try. If anything, blocking it, the drone will try to increase altitude and or descend super slow when the stick is pushed to lower the altitude. I've had situation where my landing sensors were blocked.

My situations of the landing sensors being blocked occurred from those accessories that allow you to carry packages or payloads and drop them. Luckily I realized the package was blocking the sensor and, I simply dropped the payload.

By the way, I use those foldable skid attachments alot, especially in sandy take off environments. I make sure they are locked in place before taking off. One time I actually glued sticks on them to prevent them from folding up. I've never had a problem with them folding mid flight or at take off anyway. You just have to make sure they have a good locking mechanism. You should hear a click when they are fully extended.

I
Do you have latest firmware? There is another option beside obstacle avoidance that disables the sensors completely. Safety > Advanced safety settings > vision positioning and obstacle sensing.OKOK
OK

I just tested flight with "Vision Positioning and Obstacle Sensing" turned OFF. And we had absolute control !! (Big thanks to @ycodryn for that)

Now, here's what happened inflight - we felt a natural reflex for the wind, it struggled i think, but we managed somehow to manoeuvre it back to HP (this only coz it was exceptionally windy today).

Here's what I'm grappling with now - this 0.7kmph-1.0kmph max speed of descent must mean something, right?

I just updated my firmware. I now have the same options you do. I can turn off all obstacle sensing, including the landing sensor. It works the same as your drone now. Thanks for making me aware of it. My firmware was way out of date on the drone and RC

Reactions: Xitor
I have ordered one of those for my Mavic 2 Pro.
I am surprised they collapsed while flying, I thought the joints/hinges were stiffer, that they needed a bit of force to fold in or out. That's what it seemed like on youtube videos.
There is another variant of these landing gears, with fixed, non collapsible feet, but they are of course less portable in a small bag.
I have the non-collapsible type on my M2P.

I had that type of landing gear on my Air 2S and never once had an issue. I just got the same for my Air 3 and in the limited time I've flown it, still no issues, no problem with the skids not staying in place.

I had a weird thing happen with my Mini4 Pro see Mini4 Pro Landing Failure. Not sure what happened but I crashed the drone. I had a lot of responses to my post and then I noticed this one. I was using the landing gear noted in this post and was flying with a low battery and in tight quarters. After reading this post I have stopped using the landing gear for at least now. thanks for the insight.

I had these same landing gear on my 2s and now my Air 3. Never had a problem. Of course, I've never flown with them folded in and covering the sensors.

I can't take off or land in most terrains because they are either rocky, dusty, wet, high grass, etc. Without some kind of landing gear, the gimbal would surely scrape the surface during its "dance." And the landing gear that slide onto the arms tend to fall off no matter how tight I put them on; these were my only option and work perfectly.

As side note: I find it amazing that DJI builds these things without landing gear. And no one ever mentions it in all the reviews and tutorials I've seen. Haven't seen it mentioned here, ether.

Reactions: StevenBrodsky
As side note: I find it amazing that DJI builds these things without landing gear. And no one ever mentions it in all the reviews and tutorials I've seen. Haven't seen it mentioned here, ether.
I always thought that about these drones. I would think DJI would make there own landing gear accessories for their drones. I guess they expect you to land on a landing pad all the time. I doubt they recommend hand catching their drones even if the terrain isn't compatible with landing with such a low landing gear profile.

Every DJI drone i have bought, I've also bought third party foldable landing skids. They keep the drone away from standing water, dust, dirt, sand, grass, etc.

Reactions: Paul Harvey
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne