DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Almost Crashed

Random155

Reactions
So my battery was down to about 8% and I thought I'd pull into my garage for a landing. I know, it wasnt the smartest idea, but it was in tripod mode and I was feeling confident. I pulled up, it wouldnt got in with the sensors on, so I turned them off. As soon as I crossed the threshold into the garage, the mavic just starting going down. I got lucky and was able to make a controlled crash, but it was scary. Excuse the watermark, I dont have much $$ left after buying the mavic.

So my battery was down to about 8% and I thought I'd pull into my garage for a landing. I know, it wasnt the smartest idea, but it was in tripod mode and I was feeling confident. I pulled up, it wouldnt got in with the sensors on, so I turned them off. As soon as I crossed the threshold into the garage, the mavic just starting going down. I got lucky and was able to make a controlled crash, but it was scary. Excuse the watermark, I dont have much $$ left after buying the mavic.

Thanks for sharing that. It's posts like yours that help us to be more aware. Are you saying it did an "Auto Land" from low battery? Good choice on Wondershare (Filmora). It's the best value with low cost.

Subing because I plan on filming my home from outside to inside with tripod mode.

Want to find out what caused this. Was it the low battery. Or something else?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Did you turn off just the front sensors or all of them. Without the bottom sensor it didn't know how high it was (no GPS due to metal garage door). Or it just went into auto-land due to low battery, check the logs.

I turned off all sensors. It's one of two things... either low battery caused an auto land that I couldnt pull out of becuase 8% battery isnt enough to gain altitude, or it lost satellites and just lost its positioning. Also, it still had 8% battery when it landed and I shut it down. But, it wouldnt let me start the motors again because of "critically low" battery.

I turned off all sensors. It's one of two things... either low battery caused an auto land that I couldnt pull out of becuase 8% battery isnt enough to gain altitude, or it lost satellites and just lost its positioning. Also, it still had 8% battery when it landed and I shut it down. But, it wouldnt let me start the motors again because of "critically low" battery.
Turning off all the sensors was your problem. Your Mavic couldn't stabilize itself with the downward cameras when it starting losing GPS satellites. In the future, just turn off the front obstacle avoidance cameras or I like to just switch to sports mode and be gentle with the controls.

Turning off all the sensors was your problem. Your Mavic couldn't stabilize itself with the downward cameras when it starting losing GPS satellites. In the future, just turn off the front obstacle avoidance cameras or I like to just switch to sports mode and be gentle with the controls.

Say I'm trying to film a home from the outside then go I to the inside. Through huge doors. How would I be able to do that? I want to be in tripod mode inside too.

Say I'm trying to film a home from the outside then go I to the inside. Through huge doors. How would I be able to do that? I want to be in tripod mode inside too.

Yes, Tripod mode will work fine. You might be able to fly in with front avoidance on. You can turn it off ahead of time too.

I would say there are a number of factors at work here. The first being the proximity to the truck. Second without the downward facing sensors on it can't determine the position. Third, entering into the garage you probably lost GPS when it did that it went into ATTI mode and with no sensors on thats kind of what I would expect. Fourth, at 8% it is likely that auto land kicked in. So really a confluence of a number of factors caused this issue.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada