DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Alternate way to charge Mavic 2 batteries? Please help, i'm desperate!

tigerhapa

Reactions
I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but any way to recharge my Mavic 2 batteries without an official charger? I have my USB adapter, but thats for using the battery as a power bank. I'm in Phuket thailand, with no way to get a replacement charger in time before i leave. Anyway possible to either charge it via a different means, or to get an overnight delivery to a villa north of phuket?
I know its a longshot, but i'm desperate!
Thanks for any advice in advance!

At your own risk.. You could find someone with a benchtop power supply. Set it to about 15V and 1A max and connect + and - correctly...

Of find an electronics shop with a 4S li-charger.

Just to let you know, flying a drone is forbidden in Thailand unless you have a special authorization which is almost impossible to get if you are not living there. Technically, you even have to register the drone before entering the country. People failing to do so can face heavy fines and jail sentence. Few cops are applying the law but remember that corruption is everywhere in Thailand and I wouldn't play with rules there.

Last edited:
Reactions: dbyantis
The problem with using a battery charger is that you'd have to figure out which two leads on the battery you should connect to and, even if you get that figured out, some of those other leads are probably for sensing and, if not connected, might actually keep the main charging voltage from reaching the battery.

Amazon prim not sure how long u got but 2days is prime here were i live...good luck

At your own risk.. You could find someone with a benchtop power supply. Set it to about 15V and 1A max and connect + and - correctly...

Of find an electronics shop with a 4S li-charger.
He will need 17.6V @ 4.5A to charge. 15 won’t do it. 4 HV LiPO cells = 17.4V and you need slightly more to allow for losses in the voltage regulator on the charge board.

A connector could be fashioned by butchering the USB charge adaptor.

Just to let you know, flying a drone is forbidden in Thailand unless you have a special authorization which is almost impossible to get if you are not Thai. Technically, you even have to register the drone before entering the country. People failing to do so can face heavy fines and jail sentence. Few cops are applying the law but remember that corruption is everywhere in Thailand and I wouldn't play with rules there.

Eh, everyone is flying in Thailand and corruption is a good thing. You just pay them to leave you alone.
Or just threaten never to come back. Thailand cares about tourist money way more than any other tourist destinations.

If you are willing to pay a fine up to 100 000 bahts (Around 3300 USD) just to fly a drone in Thailand , then that's your own choice.

"If you intend to fly a drone in Thailand, whether as a hobby or for commercial reasons, you have to by law register your drone first. If you don’t you could face a fine of up to 100,000 Baht or even up to five years in prison. They are serious about this, so before you fly, make sure you register your drone with the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC). In addition, if your drone has a camera (any weight) or weighs over two kilos then you need to obtain insurance and get permission to fly from the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT). Their fine for not doing this is up to 40,000 Baht and up to one year in prison."

If you are willing to pay a fine up to 100 000 bahts (Around 3300 USD) just to fly a drone in Thailand , then that's your own choice.

"If you intend to fly a drone in Thailand, whether as a hobby or for commercial reasons, you have to by law register your drone first. If you don’t you could face a fine of up to 100,000 Baht or even up to five years in prison. They are serious about this, so before you fly, make sure you register your drone with the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC). In addition, if your drone has a camera (any weight) or weighs over two kilos then you need to obtain insurance and get permission to fly from the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT). Their fine for not doing this is up to 40,000 Baht and up to one year in prison."

I have spent many weeks in Thailand. A couple thousand baht in Thai pocket solves all the problems.
Don't get caught with drugs though, that's when you're ****** for years and years to come.

That's how it works 99% of the time but I have heard about 2 or 3 cases of people who had to pay the maximum fines for flying their drone illegally. That's very low but it still happens. It all depends on the kind of cops you meet.

Just to let you know, flying a drone is forbidden in Thailand unless you have a special authorization which is almost impossible to get if you are not Thai. Technically, you even have to register the drone before entering the country. People failing to do so can face heavy fines and jail sentence. Few cops are applying the law but remember that corruption is everywhere in Thailand and I wouldn't play with rules there.

As a foreigner living and working in Thailand including using a drone its safe to say the above is absolute nonsense.

Reactions: WithTheBirds
Im more than aware living in the country and having talked to the relevant people. Also you'll find 2018 isnt "new".
Why not try speaking directly to CAAT and asking them about the current state of the registration system?

I have tried to complete the registration to fly it legally in Thailand but I was only able to get the NBTC Registration on time and not the CAAT Agreement cause the process for CAAT was too long (up to 3 months when I asked in May 2019) and I needed a Thai adress. That's why I said that it's almost impossible to get it if you're not living there or if you are not a long term visitor.

As a foreigner living and working in Thailand including using a drone its safe to say the above is absolute nonsense.
Yes- there is a big difference between what someone thinks they know from reading might be and what the reality is.

Sounds like he was flying near a restricted area. Probably near a military base. Pretty bad idea since Thai military is quite harsh.
Flying on some island like Phi Phi is quite safe. No one is going to bother you there.
Although you should not fly near the beach because of paragliders.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54