DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Amazing footage but not recorded - beginners fubar

ScoobyD00

Reactions
We dont get many good days in the UK at this time of year so when the forecast was good with light winds i decided to take out my mini for its 5th flight!.
Myself and my partner took the dog and went for a 5 mile hike, took the drone off and got some what i thought was great footage. The other half said that looks amazing and i went through two batteries.
Wondered why the footage hadnt cached to my phone but thought i hadnt setup the app correctly.

Got home, removed the SD card to view the contents and guess what... totally empty.
Scratch my head and think the drone has developed a fault then BOOM ... light bulb moment.

I had forgotten to press the record button!!!!.
I need a siren to go off to remind me as soon as i take off to record video...

I'll learn for next time :)

You’re not the first and won’t be the last. I have done it alot.
Here’s you another tip that happens a lot and was a thread
yesterday on it. I dump my SD card after every outing and
first thing I do when I go out again is reformat my card In he drone.
I do use 64 gb but is just habit. He waited for a important
nite video of a cruise ship leaving port and waited then went
up and showed full sd card. Panicked and forgot you can reformat in the app. My point is be sure you have the space
when you take off.
Why did I mention this. I have no clue. :oops:

I've got back and found that I'd mistakenly read the video indicator the wrong way round - I'd recorded everything I didn't want to and missed everything I did want!!

Good lesson learned. I share similar experience. I still have to double check if I am recording, as I sometimes forget to double click when changing from picture to video. Once to change to video and again to record. Formatting the card is easy enough within the app, as suggested by dirkclod. Good idea from Mossiback, too. I tend to make smaller clips, rather than one long one, and have to be mindful that I am actually recording. Enjoy your flying lessons. Fun part of the hobby, to me.

We dont get many good days in the UK at this time of year so when the forecast was good with light winds i decided to take out my mini for its 5th flight!.
Myself and my partner took the dog and went for a 5 mile hike, took the drone off and got some what i thought was great footage. The other half said that looks amazing and i went through two batteries.
Wondered why the footage hadnt cached to my phone but thought i hadnt setup the app correctly.

Got home, removed the SD card to view the contents and guess what... totally empty.
Scratch my head and think the drone has developed a fault then BOOM ... light bulb moment.

I had forgotten to press the record button!!!!.
I need a siren to go off to remind me as soon as i take off to record video...

I'll learn for next time :)
I've actually sent dji a request to have an option for a 10 second beep so I always know I'm recording video. Feel free to do the same as more ppl who do it, more likely hood they will bring out an update.

I've actually sent dji a request to have an option for a 10 second beep so I always know I'm recording video. Feel free to do the same as more ppl who do it, more likely hood they will bring out an update.

That's a great idea having an option like that..
I'll send dji the request

I'd vote for a beep every 10 seconds when video is not being recorded! It would be a user setting toggle that you could enable or disable, so it doesn't annoy those who do not want to record continuous video.

haha yea a mistake many of use have made. I remember finding a shark way up the brisbane river. Followed it around for a while swimming through weeds and murky water. Then when i hit he stop record button, i find it wasnt recordeing to start with. Spent another 10 mins trying to find it again with no luck.

Reactions: old man mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacjes