DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

An app with approved zones?

omer212

Reactions
Hey guys,

I’m very new and did some reading in this amazing forum.
I downloaded the B4UFLY & KittyHawk.
It’s great to see where I can or can’t fly. But is there a map/app of areas preferred to fly without membership?
Specifically an hour or so outside NYC?

I’m about to take my first flight in two hours and a bit lost.

Thank you in advance.

Those apps as well as Airmap will tell you if it's safe to fly and if there are restrictions it will let you know generally.

Another rule of thumb is no flying in National Parks and check if your state allows State or regional parks. In VA it's no on state but ok on Regional parks. You also can't fly VA Beach which stinks, but it is what it is.

Reactions: omer212
‘Drone Zones’ is a good one for IOS. It was created by a UK University as a project and gives users the option to add places they fly, places of interest and good viewpoints.

Reactions: omer212
Thank you for the advice.

It's crazy that in NY & NJ it's not allowed to fly in state parks. Only a handful of spots in NYC are allowed.

I'm really lost where I can fly north of NYC.

I apologize in advance for my frustration. It's just really complicated to find a few decent spots.

It's crazy that in NY & NJ it's not allowed to fly in state parks. Only a handful of spots in NYC are allowed. I'm really lost where I can fly north of NYC.
I live in Yorktown Heights. 1/4 mile away is:
Stuart's Fruit Farm
62 Granite Springs Road
Granite Springs NY, 10527
Very scenic. Ask to speak to Betsy or John the owner. Ask for permission to fly Drone and offer to give photos. I've flown there on days with few visitors and keep drone away from people. Great time to visit is sunrise as only workers or an owner is likely to be there. If you go at sunrise and anyone asks, mention John or Betsy gave permission. See photos below.

Another place to fly, especially for practice is Mahopac Airport Park. Entrance is off Hill St. in Mahopac. It is a former grass field private airport. When I got my first drone, a P4, I went there to practice. It was usually free of people or one or two dog walkers. No one ever hassled me. In Googling it I see a development project was approved the end of last year. My guess is they haven't started it. It is less than 10 minutes from Stuart's Fruit Farm.
DJI_0016.JPG
TractorSFF.JPG
TractorSunrise.JPG
SunriseSFF.JPG
DSC_9440.JPG
Airport Park.JPG

I live in Yorktown Heights. 1/4 mile away is:
Stuart's Fruit Farm
62 Granite Springs Road
Granite Springs NY, 10527
Very scenic. Ask to speak to Betsy or John the owner. Ask for permission to fly Drone and offer to give photos. I've flown there on days with few visitors and keep drone away from people. Great time to visit is sunrise as only workers or an owner is likely to be there. If you go at sunrise and anyone asks, mention John or Betsy gave permission. See photos below.

Another place to fly, especially for practice is Mahopac Airport Park. Entrance is off Hill St. in Mahopac. It is a former grass field private airport. When I got my first drone, a P4, I went there to practice. It was usually free of people or one or two dog walkers. No one ever hassled me. In Googling it I see a development project was approved the end of last year. My guess is they haven't started it. It is less than 10 minutes from Stuart's Fruit Farm.
View attachment 102470
View attachment 102479
View attachment 102480
View attachment 102483
View attachment 102473
View attachment 102484
Super helpful. Thank you so much. Would love to hear if you have a additional spots.

Hey guys,

I’m very new and did some reading in this amazing forum.
I downloaded the B4UFLY & KittyHawk.
It’s great to see where I can or can’t fly. But is there a map/app of areas preferred to fly without membership?
Specifically an hour or so outside NYC?

I’m about to take my first flight in two hours and a bit lost.

Thank you in advance.
Welcome back Omer212, I'm in Westchester and I only fly over the Hudson, I don't care to fly where we have to be hassled. Marty, thanks for the tip on the Fruit Farm, maybe I'll try it one day. HFTA!

> I downloaded the B4UFLY & KittyHawk.
Highly recommend Drone Buddy. Description:
"Drone Buddy has all the key info you need to fly a drone safely. Accurate wind speed, weather info, no fly zone map, and drone news."

I'm Part 107 certified and find this invaluable. Just purchased lifetime license.