DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 An Intimidating yet Beautiful Climb Across a Thrilling section of the Continental Divide! Colorado

Karlewski

Reactions
Lots of work and a ligament tear, biceps to elbow, has slowed me down this week but, I finally got this one finished. This was a shorter trip for me and ultralight, GoPro, phone and mini 2 only. I wanted to be unencumbered for the but scary looking rock climbing section of the route. Turned out to be a super trip and amazingly close to my home. The Mini 2 flew exceptionally well at 13,500ft, so well I believe some of the maneuvers are the best I've done. . . I think you'll find the Citadel portion to be quite a thrill. I was a bit stunned seeing some of the footage when I got home. . . I hope you enjoy it as much as I did putting it together!

Lots of work and a ligament tear, biceps to elbow, has slowed me down this week but, I finally got this one finished. This was a shorter trip for me and ultralight, GoPro, phone and mini 2 only. I wanted to be unencumbered for the but scary looking rock climbing section of the route. Turned out to be a super trip and amazingly close to my home. The Mini 2 flew exceptionally well at 13,500ft, so well I believe some of the maneuvers are the best I've done. . . I think you'll find the Citadel portion to be quite a thrill. I was a bit stunned seeing some of the footage when I got home. . . I hope you enjoy it as much as I did putting it together!
Absolutely beautiful vidtt err o. Your conditioning must be out of this world.

Another mind-blowing adventure!!! As usual, exceptional production. What causes those "chimney's?"

K!

I am super impressed, as usual. Everything was awesome. Your climbing skills are only exceeded by your production skills.

I do have a question. I know you climb solo but I just don't understand how you did those "selfies" from so far away. Did you actually set up the camera and then go back and retrieve it, as before? That would mean you practically climbed everything twice.
One more question- how do you do that little arrow thingamajig?

Dale
Miami

Ya, I climbed it more than 4x actually and by both routes 2x each, up & down plus initial inspection. I put a short Beta/info section at the very end explaining the easier way up, in the black chimney. . . I felt very comfortable on the direct route up the spine so I did that for the camera after climbing the very short "5.6, hard part" with no camera or pack just to make sure it would be safe and doable for me. It was, did not even feel like I needed my climbing shoes. . .
While I am certainly no geologist I would guess the black layer was an ancient sediment layer, silt/clay as it was smooth and slipperier, laid horizontally one zillion years ago. In nature, perfect flat planes like that often form horizontally in layers. It also appeared to erode faster than the Crystalized rock, some type of molten lava, surrounding it. Then the mountains uplifted the black sediment layer to an almost a vertical orientation. . . Just my not very "educated" guess. I was interest in it too, sure made for some cool drone footage! Really showed depth!
Secret be told, on two of the longer shots, I set up the drone on a "launch pad" framing my shot then started recording without launching. Not much to worry about if the drone is just sitting there! Got the shot of hiking and then launched and flew it to myself from my now distant position, awesome move if I do say so myself, lol. The one real pooper! I can not do it for super steep climbs! I would have to set the drone angled up on the launch pad too steeply to take off safely, even with the gimbal tilted up to the max! Bummer, that HUGE climb to the jagged summit. . . went back for the I phone on the one. . . honestly, this was not a mega huge route for me so I felt plenty good to do a lot of it twice. I must be crazy but I really enjoy it. . . . I did something similar on my next adventure but, at 14,000'+, the really awesome part, I was climbing the crux of the route with my furry friends! It was one of the more unique climbing experiences I've ever had. . . You'll get to join me on that adventure soon!

Ya, I climbed it more than 4x actually and by both routes 2x each, up & down plus initial inspection. I put a short Beta/info section at the very end explaining the easier way up, in the black chimney. . . I felt very comfortable on the direct route up the spine so I did that for the camera after climbing the very short "5.6, hard part" with no camera or pack just to make sure it would be safe and doable for me. It was, did not even feel like I needed my climbing shoes. . .
While I am certainly no geologist I would guess the black layer was an ancient sediment layer, silt/clay as it was smooth and slipperier, laid horizontally one zillion years ago. In nature, perfect flat planes like that often form horizontally in layers. It also appeared to erode faster than the Crystalized rock, some type of molten lava, surrounding it. Then the mountains uplifted the black sediment layer to an almost a vertical orientation. . . Just my not very "educated" guess. I was interest in it too, sure made for some cool drone footage! Really showed depth!
Secret be told, on two of the longer shots, I set up the drone on a "launch pad" framing my shot then started recording without launching. Not much to worry about if the drone is just sitting there! Got the shot of hiking and then launched and flew it to myself from my now distant position, awesome move if I do say so myself, lol. The one real pooper! I can not do it for super steep climbs! I would have to set the drone angled up on the launch pad too steeply to take off safely, even with the gimbal tilted up to the max! Bummer, that HUGE climb to the jagged summit. . . went back for the I phone on the one. . . honestly, this was not a mega huge route for me so I felt plenty good to do a lot of it twice. I must be crazy but I really enjoy it. . . . I did something similar on my next adventure but, at 14,000'+, the really awesome part, I was climbing the crux of the route with my furry friends! It was one of the more unique climbing experiences I've ever had. . . You'll get to join me on that adventure soon!
I greatly appreciate this explanation and highly appreciate your dedication to this documentation. That would be a super human effort for most of us. Just think how great your videos would be if you had Jimmy Chin along to do the photography like Alex Honnold in "Free Solo."

Thanks Dale, I have thought about it but I am no Alex. . .or even close. Those guys actually make me look like a couch potato, they go at my "full speed" all day or longer at twice the skill level. . . where I last a 1/2 hour. . .
I do like to think my editing "style" is unique and entertaining. . .
I did have a kid, 22, I met on my last trip with me saying he was a video guy and had a go pro, gimbal, nice camera and drone. . . OMG!!! Not one bit of his footage was usable. . . even when I told him to just stay still and level the camera. . . .I was sad. I was loving the help till I saw the results. . . It was cool to mentor him on climbing and video though. . . . you'll see him soon. I got a bunch of great shots of him. . . duh. . .

Cheers Buddy!

Reactions: TerryToast
Thanks Dale, I have thought about it but I am no Alex. . .or even close. Those guys actually make me look like a couch potato, they go at my "full speed" all day or longer at twice the skill level. . . where I last a 1/2 hour. . .
I do like to think my editing "style" is unique and entertaining. . .
I did have a kid, 22, I met on my last trip with me saying he was a video guy and had a go pro, gimbal, nice camera and drone. . . OMG!!! Not one bit of his footage was usable. . . even when I told him to just stay still and level the camera. . . .I was sad. I was loving the help till I saw the results. . . It was cool to mentor him on climbing and video though. . . . you'll see him soon. I got a bunch of great shots of him. . . duh. . .

Cheers Buddy!
That is really a shame regarding the lack of photographic talent in that climbing associate. It would have been so great. I don't think that should dissuade you from finding another climbing/hiking aficionado who is a skilled photographer. The benefits of the buddy system also would help. Who is gonna call for help when you are at the bottom of a crevass.

He was a good kid, Air Force academy and he did retrieve my go pro after I ripped my biceps sliding then bouncing down a snow field, like an idiot. I'm super bummed now, just got back an MRI and it said detached ligament, surgery and minimum 3 month recovery to full power. I guess I am the real ding dong. No more snow for me, never liked it mountaineering and now I'll avoid it like the plague . . . to variable and unpredictable. . . . I do have a couple more cool videos I'm finishing. . . the last you now know the ending of. . .

He was a good kid, Air Force academy and he did retrieve my go pro after I ripped my biceps sliding then bouncing down a snow field, like an idiot. I'm super bummed now, just got back an MRI and it said detached ligament, surgery and minimum 3 month recovery to full power. I guess I am the real ding dong. No more snow for me, never liked it mountaineering and now I'll avoid it like the plague . . . to variable and unpredictable. . . . I do have a couple more cool videos I'm finishing. . . the last you now know the ending of. . .
Wow! I am really sorry for you having that injury. I'm very encouraged that it can be repaired, and with painful but necessary rehabilitation of about 6-8 weeks you should doing much better. I get it that you like to push yourself, and like to go solo, but there is always the chance of an unavoidable injury or worse. Don't be an Aron Ralston.

I suffered a similar fate years ago. I was cruising on the flat of Ruthie's Run coming home to our condo in the Little Nell. The surface was about 170 degrees, e.g.: FLAT. Some yo-yo ( a restaurant worker on a day off) skied over the tails of my skis, throwing me into the snow, face down, and left shoulder down. I had a partial rotator cuff tear, and had to stop doing eye surgery for 6 weeks of rehab. No more skiing that week. I couldn't raise my arm above my waist. Now, years later, I have no after effects and have full function, including tennis.

Several years before that I was on the Big Burn (Snowmass) and my ski went out from under me. I slid down on my ***, gaining velocity, until I was going pretty fast, then hit a tree on my hip. I was carried down by the ski parol in a stretcher, needed morphine, and spent the week in Aspen sitting on the edge of the other cheek.

Luckily, both times, THERE WERE PEOPLE AROUND TO HELP ME. (hint, hint). I'm not you mother (since I'm going to be 83 September, I feel I can say that ), but it would be nice to have a companion to hike with, and to handle the photography when needed...even if it is just pushing the shutter!

Hope your procedure goes well, as well as the rehab, and you return to full function. Keep in touch!

P.S. I am releasing a video for Saturday Forum.

Dale
[email protected]

Holy cow! Well, if nothing else the footage would have been spectacular! (Just kidding.) I’m sorry you had to d D experience that. It must have been extremely painful. You remind me of the mountain men of old. Even with all that pain and injury, you managed to extricate yourself from the situation and get home. That’s pretty amazing in its own right. I hope you get back to climbing and coming and enjoying your other activities soon.
Hang in there.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael N