DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

an somebody explain what Litchi is and if I should use it?

black_magic100

Reactions
Currently at work so I can't browse to much myself =], but it popped up on my mind and wanted to make a quick post before I forgot.

Litchi is an app similar to Go 4. It uses some of the settings in Go 4 so you need both but only run one at a time. Once it is set up you may stop using Go 4 entirely (but keep it installed). I use it for the Waypoint missions and like to have it available if there is a problem with Go 4.

Reactions: CynicalZombie
Litchi is an app similar to Go 4. It uses some of the settings in Go 4 so you need both but only run one at a time. Once it is set up you may stop using Go 4 entirely (but keep it installed). I use it for the Waypoint missions and like to have it available if there is a problem with Go 4.
The reviews are so mixed on the app store. I am afraid that if the app crashes I will lose my drone. Am I safer with DJI or Litchi?

The reviews are so mixed on the app store. I am afraid that if the app crashes I will lose my drone. Am I safer with DJI or Litchi?

If any app crashes you won’t lose the drone. You can always re-open the app or a different app, or hit the RTH button on the controller.

People only tend to leave reviews if they have a bad experience.

For me the best part of Litchi is Google Earth-based mission planning so I can map out a path, pick AGL for each waypoint, camera direction, speed etc, POIs to look at while flying, and then send the drone out to fly it. So awesome.

... I am afraid that if the app crashes I will lose my drone...
You should not lose your drone if the app crashes, providing you are not flying in WiFi mode (and really, there is no reason you should be). The RC is what is controlling the drone, not the app. I have practiced this scenario by unplugging my tablet while in flight to simulate an app crash or tablet freeze and I recommend all Mavic owners do the same.

This is more difficult with the Mavic Air, which does not have telemetry data displayed on the RC. If you have lost sight of it your only option is to press the RTH button, hope you set it up properly, and there is enough battery left to make it back. Given that the Air uses WiFi to communicate, it should be less likely to go out-of-sight due to distance but the smaller size might make it disappear easier.

... Am I safer with DJI or Litchi?
DJI is getting better with their software after the 4.1.18 debacle, so the odds are that your fresh setup will work for you. That is considering you are using hardware that is on DJI's approved list (my tablet is not but I have found that Go 4 version 4.1.15 is very stable on it so I have locked it there). That being said, you will be more prone to device failures (cold weather is hard on some iDevices, battery could die, etc) than app failures.

Personally, I would get Litchi for three reasons: 1) An alternative app if Go 4 does have a problem, 2) The Waypoint feature is much better, and 3) It doesn't cost much so why not?

Litchi for waypoint missions is superb, I have over 100 missions and never a fault, IOS.
I use Dji for everything else. Also never a fault.

Reactions: dvarapala
This is more difficult with the Mavic Air, which does not have telemetry data displayed on the RC. If you have lost sight of it your only option is to press the RTH button, hope you set it up properly, and there is enough battery left to make it back. Given that the Air uses WiFi to communicate, it should be less likely to go out-of-sight due to distance but the smaller size might make it disappear easier.
Can you explain this. IF I lose my signal and the drone is out of sight isn't my only option to hit RTH?

Can you explain this. IF I lose my signal and the drone is out of sight isn't my only option to hit RTH?
No. If you set up RTH properly it is the safest option but not the only option. The MP/MPP has telemetry data on the RC, one of which is Distance. You can see if it going toward or away from you by the Distance reading growing or shrinking. You just tweak the direction until the Distance reading is shrinking the fastest and you know it is coming toward you. You can also hit RTH and cancel it after a while and take over manually. It should be facing home when you cancel it. Test this while you have visual to confirm.

I personally have two problems with RTH. One, it is a piece of technology that has to work properly to be successful and two, it will travel at a reduced speed. I would rather be in control of my flying and the slower speed may not be enough to counter a head wind.

EDIT: The above is in reference to an app or display device crash. Then you still have telemetry on the RC. If you loose RC signal, you then have to rely on failsafe RTH to work.

Last edited:

No. If you set up RTH properly it is the safest option but not the only option. The MP/MPP has telemetry data on the RC, one of which is Distance. You can see if it going toward or away from you by the Distance reading growing or shrinking.

If you lose signal you lose all telemetry and control. When your controller is not in contact with your aircraft Failsafe RTH is your only option, at least until it flies close enough for your controller to regain contact. Then you can cancel RTH and resume manual control.

Reactions: Mossiback
If you lose signal you lose all telemetry and control. When your controller is not in contact with your aircraft Failsafe RTH is your only option, at least until it flies close enough for your controller to regain contact. Then you can cancel RTH and resume manual control.
Yes, you are right. I was mistakenly thinking of an app crash.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki