DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anamorphic lens with ND filter

JayTea26

Reactions
I see Freewell offers an anamorphic lens for the MA2 with a choice of ND filter built in. I will want to shoot desert footage in Arizona.
What ND filter/lens combo would be best?

I see Freewell offers an anamorphic lens for the MA2 with a choice of ND filter built in. I will want to shoot desert footage in Arizona.
What ND filter/lens combo would be best?
Get the Freewell filter set or the Freewell adjustable filter and experiment.

I want to shoot at 24 fps. The Freewell has an ND anamorphic lens with a choice of built in ND filter.

I can't afford a variety of them at $40 each.

I would think either a 16 or 32 would be best for sunny days in Arizona.

Basically, I'm wondering if it's better to use less ND or more, if not sure.

I purchased the Freewell Anamorphic ND8 and it works perfectly for Australian sunrise & sunsets. Maybe the 16 would be the way to go for Arizona daylight recording?

Thank you.

I want to shoot at 24 fps. The Freewell has an ND anamorphic lens with a choice of built in ND filter.

I can't afford a variety of them at $40 each.

I would think either a 16 or 32 would be best for sunny days in Arizona.

Basically, I'm wondering if it's better to use less ND or more, if not sure.
There’s two ways to look at this.

Full sun is 10 hours out of the day right now so that’s most of the daylight hours.

ND 64 would be what would get you down to 1/50 shutter in full sun in the desert. However, anything less than full sun it will be too much so you will need to bump up the ISO to compensate. However, during golden hour it will likely be way too much and you’ll need to take it off.

ND 32 won’t be enough in full sun but it would get you reasonably close and you’d have to use a little faster shutter which probably won’t make much of a noticeable difference. It will still be perfectly usable in overcast or less than full sun conditions and mid morning/late afternoon. It will fine until you get to sunset conditions at which time it will be too much.

ND 16 will be best during golden hour and sunset but this is a very small percentage of the day.

ND 8 being the lowest version they make is for everything else.

The issue you have is that in twilight conditions you still want the anamorphic but not the ND part. It’s not like a regular ND filter you can just take off when the sun gets low and as far as I can tell they don’t have a just anamorphic version. At the very least you’ll want a lowlight filter and a high light filter.

Preferably I would want a ND 8 and ND 32 personally. In Utah which isn’t that different from Arizona ND 32 is what I use 90% of the time, though I don’t have a ND64.

If you can only do one then maybe you can look at ND 16 as the compromise filter but it will only be the “right” filter for a very short time of the day.

Thank you for the detailed reply.

I just purchased the anamorphic lens with built in ND filter 32 for daytime and will save up for the lens with ND 8 for night and twilight.

Now I'll be studying how to do the editing with Lumafusion.

Thank you.

Reactions: brett8883

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan