DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Android 10

emufriedchicken

Reactions
Is the operating system on the controller abled to be updated to Android 10?. If so how would you go about doing it or if not what are the restrictions e.g. hardware or software related issues?
CASA has pulled support for Can I fly There app and suggest that we migrate to the Open Sky app. I have installed it on my controller but it wont load or open as the version of Android is too old to run the App?

You raise a godo point.

I believe the Smart Controller has a special version of Android OS that has been tweaked by DJI. some may consider it a branch of the original Android code. If this is correct, then unfortunately, DJI is in control of when they add development time to allow a newer version of OS to be installed. Deviating form this as a work around may have negative impacts with functionality since the underlying tweaks/customization by DJI would no longer be present and seen as "uncharted waters" by the novice.

You raise a godo point.

I believe the Smart Controller has a special version of Android OS that has been tweaked by DJI. some may consider it a branch of the original Android code. If this is correct, then unfortunately, DJI is in control of when they add development time to allow a newer version of OS to be installed. Deviating form this as a work around may have negative impacts with functionality since the underlying tweaks/customization by DJI would no longer be present and seen as "uncharted waters" by the novice.
This is my 1st Android device so I was unaware that it was a custom built version by DJI.

If DJI stay with occusync for the next gen of Mavic/Phantom products do you think we will see some updates to the smart controller when they are released?

Is the operating system on the controller abled to be updated to Android 10?. If so how would you go about doing it or if not what are the restrictions e.g. hardware or software related issues?
CASA has pulled support for Can I fly There app and suggest that we migrate to the Open Sky app. I have installed it on my controller but it wont load or open as the version of Android is too old to run the App?
Have you tried the new update on the Smart Controller update V01.00.0650 not sure if it will help good luck

I get that it's annoying when you've dropped $1100AUD but what's wrong with using your phone to access Open Sky.......I know you can load some apps on the SC but personally I pretty much quarantine mine.

You raise a godo point.

If you are correct about DJI tweaking the Android code, it would be unbelievably stupid. They should make their code conform to the operating system, not visa versa. It becomes a dead-end path for DJI as the Android versions improve. There will come a point where the Android versions are so advanced, DJI will be forced to virtually and completely rewrite their DJI Go 4 code. So says ridera who founded 3 high tech companies and would have fired any manager who allowed his programers do such a thing.

If you are correct about DJI tweaking the Android code, it would be unbelievably stupid. They should make their code conform to the operating system, not visa versa. It becomes a dead-end path for DJI as the Android versions improve. There will come a point where the Android versions are so advanced, DJI will be forced to virtually and completely rewrite their DJI Go 4 code. So says ridera who founded 3 high tech companies and would have fired any manager who allowed his programers do such a thing.
Every manufacturer has modified the Android code to suit their purposes. The consequence of open source software and why it works differently on different devices.

Every manufacturer has modified the Android code to suit their purposes. The consequence of open source software and why it works differently on different devices.
The SC shows the Android version is 7.1.2, thus, one assumes it really is. Of course, DJI can modify the code. If it's not true 7.1.2, then it should be renamed. Incidentally, 7.1.2 was released in 2016

Reactions: ff22
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake