DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Android app crash

MikeyNick

Reactions
So I know this has been discussed before, but I just recently got my Mavic and, in my few test flights, was pretty shocked by the [lack of] stability in the Android app. I think I had 3 or 4 app crashes in one single flight. It's not too big of a deal, I can relaunch the app and be back in the camera in probably less than 20 seconds, but still concerning. I also noticed that if you enter an intelligent flight mode and then the app crashes while you're still in it, the app is no longer able to cancel the mode (you can hit the red x all you want, nothing happens). I had to manually flip the sport mode switch on and back off to get it to get out of the mode.

I have a Moto Z Play on 7.0 Nougat. I know it's not on the "supported" list, but if they support nexus devices, they support moto devices (Motorola uses stock Android with VERY minor additions). latest firmware and app.

So yea, we all know this, complaining isn't getting me anywhere. I guess I have a couple questions (and before you go and recommend the ipad mini 4, I'm not gonna buy Apple).

1. Has anyone used a Moto Z phone on Marshmallow? Sounds like instability is more due to nougat than phone model. I would strongly prefer not to roll back to Marshmallow but...
2. My alternative is a Nexus 6P I have from work. I don't mind rolling that back to marshmallow at all, however, the whole reason I ended up buying a Moto Z Play instead of sticking with the 6P is that the battery has become atrocious and unreliable on the 6P (shutting off at over 25% remaining? c'mon). If Moto Z on marshmallow still has issues, but 6P on marshmallow doesn't, maybe I'll give that a try. I can always fall back to using the crashy nougat if the 6P dies in the field
3. I've considered buying Litchi, but if anything were to go wrong during the flight, doesn't that essentially void the warranty? i.e. They could just blame Litchi for anything that might have happened inflight? I ask because I just had a particularly unpleasant dealing with the customer service over a flyaway P3P (using DJI Go), and should anything happen with the Mavic, I don't want to be immediately dismissed by support. It took everything I had to even give DJI more money, but there's just nothing on the market to compete with Mavic.

Thanks in advance for any input!

The GO app makes trouble on a lot of devices. I have a Nexus 6 running 7.1.1 and the GO app will crash after few minutes. At least it can be rstarted without problems, such as yours.
I also have a Sony Xperia XZ running Android 7.0 (got update to 7.1.1 today, not tested yet). Here the app will get laggy after some minutes and then freeze the whole phone, so I have to do a forced reboot.
My third device is a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7" (SM-T810) which worked without any issues both on Android 6.0 and now 7.0.
The GO app still has a big memory leak somewhere which causes all these problems.
In contrast, I never had crashes or total freezes (just some lagging) when using the Litchi app instead.

My Nexus 6P with Android 7.1.2 crashes constantly. So I use my old LG-G2 with Android 5.x, dedicated to DJI GO 4 - without any problems at all.

Last edited:
GS7Edge here. Crashes after a few minutes. Makes my phone too hot to the point of the thermal sensor shutting off all my apps. I will be using my ipad mini 4 now.

I really hope that DJI will hire some real Android experts for fixing this, as they seem unable to do that on their own. And now as they are selling their own Android based devices (CrystalSky and P4P+) they should solve this problem immediately.
Btw. does anybody have experience with the app stability on the already delivered monitors of Phantom 4 Pro+? What Android version is used for them?

Last edited:
Reactions: RAMJET-1
Methinks I may have to tinker with their developer API after I move next month (living within the massive DC no fly zone is a real bummer).

S7 edge.
Up until yesterday all was well.
After 10 minutes in the air my S7 shut down and was very hot, as mentioned in one of the other posts.

Restarted the phone and the application and it connected to the MP. The RC never lost the connection.

Going to use my iPhone from now on.

Was out yesterday with my kajak on the lake of Constance/Germany and had the Mavic with me for trying ActiveTrack on the kajak. Had two GO4 app crashes on my Sony Xperia XZ phone, but at least no hangup of the remote controller as I had experienced already before two times. Always the same scenario, the video stream becomes more and more laggy, some screen elements won't be redrawn anymore, e.g. battery status and ActiveTrack symbol overlay and finally the app will just crash. Typical behaviour for a memory leak. At least I was able to restart the app without need for restarting the whole phone...
Was also happy to have styro balls attached to the Mavic for water-landing, as it was not possible to just grab the Mavic out of the air. Every time I approached the small one-man kajak, the Mavic just blew it away...

I believe it happens, because it is overheat or the micro SD card does speed is not fast enough.
It happen to me when recording only. It will slowly lagging, slower & slower, then hang.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada