DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Android Compass App - non-PlayStore

eEridani

Reactions
Anyone have a link to a good compass application installable on Android devices that is NOT from the Google Play Store? The DJI Smart Controller is loaded up and has zero Google support. So the Play Store is not an option.

I have a DJI Smart Controller. I need a compass app that isn't DJI Fly or similar. Why? DJI Fly has an intrinsic error of about 90 (arrow points east when aiming the SC north).

With a third party app, I'd be able to see if the error is the hardware or in the DJI Fly software.

Why? DJI Fly has an intrinsic error of about 90 (arrow points east when aiming the SC north).
Your tablet's compass sensor is deflected by electromagnetic fields that are part of the controller.
Calibrating the SC's compass should deal with the problem.

I wonder if this guy thinks everyone is an airhead that doesn't know how to calibrate a compass.

Anyone have a link to a good compass application installable on Android devices that is NOT from the Google Play Store?

I've had this app on my phone for a while.

It has a compass, GPS, and other information that may be useful.

I did get the app from the Play Store but here is a link to a mirror site if downloading from the Play Store is a problem?

Thanks - I'll try it - though it hints it is using GPS to make the compass - which isn't what I want.

I'm pretty sure the SC has a magnetometer, and I need a compass app reading the magnetic hardware to compare against what DJI Fly is reporting reading that same hardware.

Last edited:
So here are the results... the app I found is only portrait mode... but still shows a 20+ degree error.

IMG_20211104.jpg

And if I rotate the SC 90, this is what I see for errors: either the 20 degrees above or 40 degrees if I point the controller antennas north.

Screenshot_20211104-180241.pngScreenshot_20211104-180251.png

So it would appear the hardware is broken or the calibration routine is broken = hard to distinguish between the two.

I wonder if this guy thinks everyone is an airhead that doesn't know how to calibrate a compass.
I'm so sorry for providing basic information that could well have solved your issue, going by the lack of information in your post.
I should have clairvoyantly known exactly what you do (and don't) understand.