DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Android Tablet

Any problems using a Android Tablet with a Mavic Pro?
As long as it's got a fast processor and >2GB of RAM it should work.
Using old, under-equipped tablets will give disappointing results.

I use an older Google Nexus tablet. The model I use was made by HTC. I "rooted" the tablet and deleted or turned off any and all apps that weren't necessary for the DJI Go app. Other than the "GO" app the tablet has no usable camera or any of the bloatware apps which are installed at the factory. The DJI app has yet to crash. The best part, it was was "free". Its screen had been broken and the original owner trashed it(the tablet) rather than replacing the screen. I bought a "parts or repair" tablet on eBay for $9.95 with free shipping. So, for an hours worth of work and less than a 10 spot I have a great android tablet dedicated to my Mavic Pro. The sunshade is made of cardboard attached with Gorilla tape. It will serve as a template for the final version of my sunshade.20190525_031702[1].jpg20190525_031702[1].jpg

Attachments

• 20190525_031719[1].jpg
    20190525_031719[1].jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:
I use a 2016 Amazon Fire HD8 and have no issues. Most of the lists will say it doesn’t have a fast enough processor or enough RAM but seems to be running fine for me. I normally use a Huawei Elate but when I do want a bigger screen I opt for the Fire.

I use a 2016 Amazon Fire HD8 and have no issues. Most of the lists will say it doesn’t have a fast enough processor or enough RAM but seems to be running fine for me. I normally use a Huawei Elate but when I do want a bigger screen I opt for the Fire.

Does it have GPS?

Reactions: Gazmg
Does it have GPS?

In normal use with a MP, you should have your tablet / phone in airplane mode with all that stuff off. I'm new to this, but with the MP using Occusync to control the drone, and the controller having its own display, the tablet / phone needs to just run the app and store downlinked media.

What I want to find is a cheap tablet I can dedicate to the MP (like Dr Bill did) but I lack the skills to root one. I definately want zero bloatware, so Samsung is out. Anyone know of a Android One tablet - or other vanilla Android tablet - that works well?

I'm surprised DJI doesnt prioritize their testing towards Android One devices - it should be exactly what they would want (unless they have a $$ deal with Huawei of course)

I've just got an Huawei M3 tablet and I've had no issues with flying. I used to use my Huawei p20 Pro but wanted something to use just for the mavic.

Reactions: Gazmg
In normal use with a MP, you should have your tablet / phone in airplane mode with all that stuff off. I'm new to this, but with the MP using Occusync to control the drone, and the controller having its own display, the tablet / phone needs to just run the app and store downlinked media.

What I want to find is a cheap tablet I can dedicate to the MP (like Dr Bill did) but I lack the skills to root one. I definately want zero bloatware, so Samsung is out. Anyone know of a Android One tablet - or other vanilla Android tablet - that works well?

I'm surprised DJI doesnt prioritize their testing towards Android One devices - it should be exactly what they would want (unless they have a $$ deal with Huawei of course)

The Nexus 2nd generation(made by Asus) should work fine for you. It has enough ram to run the DJI Go app and they're relatively inexpensive. There is a 7" model on eBay(ASUS Google Nexus 7 K008 Wi-Fi 7in Tablet - Black (2nd Gen.) | 16GB 32GB | eBay) for $50.00 delivered.

Rooting it shouldn't be necessary(I rooted my tablet as extra insurance). However, if you don't mind doing a little research "rooting" it shouldn't be that difficult. If you get stuck with the "rooting" process PM me and I'll walk you through the process or if you lack the tools and time I'll still get you flying.

I've learned one simple thing which can cause the DJI Go app to crash regularly on an android device, Poorly constructed cables(from the controller to the tablet/phone) will crash the app every time, count on it. I've found Anker's Pro line of cables function flawlessly.

Attachments

• Nexus 7.JPG
    Nexus 7.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: Gryphon962
Gryphon, did a little research(on 2nd gen Nexus 7) and here's what I was able to find:

Full specifications.https://www.gsmarena.com/asus_google_nexus_7_(2013)-5600.php

Complete "rooting" instructions(no computer needed):How to Root Your Nexus 7 in Less Than Two Minutes—Without a Computer

The software developers are asking for a small donation. If you use PayPal $5.00 will work. As a bonus the download will work on most androids.

Finally, the Nexus 7(2nd gen) by Asus does have a GPS sensor!

As a test I used their software to "root" a Samsung Note 4. Including the time it took to download the "hack" I had less than an hour in the job.

Good Luck and Happy Flying!Nexus 7 specs.JPG

Reactions: Gryphon962
I use a Samsung tablet, not sure on the specific model but it is 2 to 3 years old. Works well for me, better than my Android phone.

I use a Samsung Note 4 with great results. I use the Note when I don't feel like lugging a 10" tablet around. My main video device is a "rooted" Nexus 9(HTC made) with an Anker Powerline+ Micro USB cable. Its been my experience inferior cables cause more android app crashes/problems than all other reasons combined.

Reactions: NTTD
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore