DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anemometer (?)

AlanTheBeast

Reactions
More for curiosity than as a decision making tool. I see a lot of cheap anemometers (which also have thermometers built in) on Amazon. Starting at what must be crap at CAD$16 going up to $50 or so before jumping to the $200+ range.

Anyone have one? Suggestions?

This one looks good
I would mount the wireless sensor high as possible. We are more interested in winds aloft than surface winds speed.

I have a $1500 weather station I use, but what Hawgguy has a link to would work just as well. I did not read the detail on that setup but I'm sure it could be taken to most any location. If you wanted to get a little more serious about the wind speeds, add one of those 20ft telescopic mast to mount the anemometer to. Or, I have always thought of attaching a small hand held to the aircraft, activate record, and climb up to the altitude you plan to fly at and hover for a short time. Then land and see what ya got.

I have a $1500 weather station I use, but what Hawgguy has a link to would work just as well. I did not read the detail on that setup but I'm sure it could be taken to most any location. If you wanted to get a little more serious about the wind speeds, add one of those 20ft telescopic mast to mount the anemometer to. Or, I have always thought of attaching a small hand held to the aircraft, activate record, and climb up to the altitude you plan to fly at and hover for a short time. Then land and see what ya got.

In an ideal world the drones would have airspeed and temperature sensors and have air data algorithms (no biggie). Then (using the drone's IMU/GPS) we'd know the wind info to a tee.

I just want something portable, reasonably accurate and reliable to measure wind speed at the surface. Yes, I know all too well that is not winds aloft.

In an ideal world the drones would have airspeed and temperature sensors and have air data algorithms (no biggie). Then (using the drone's IMU/GPS) we'd know the wind info to a tee.

I just want something portable, reasonably accurate and reliable to measure wind speed at the surface. Yes, I know all too well that is not winds aloft.

In GPS mode a Mavic in flight undoubtedly has a good idea of what the wind speed and direction are simply because it knows how hard it is fighting against the wind in order to maintain its position. Pretty sure that it wouldn't be that hard for DJI to display the calculated wind speed and wind direction on the controller or attached smartphone if lots of people were clamoring for that. Having said that, I would probably try to turn the display of that information off most of the time since IMHO the screens of my controller and attached iPhone are already cluttered with a lot of flight information.

In GPS mode a Mavic in flight undoubtedly has a good idea of what the wind speed and direction are simply because it knows how hard it is fighting against the wind in order to maintain its position. Pretty sure that it wouldn't be that hard for DJI to display the calculated wind speed and wind direction on the controller or attached smartphone if lots of people were clamoring for that. Having said that, I would probably try to turn the display of that information off most of the time since IMHO the screens of my controller and attached iPhone are already cluttered with a lot of flight information.
That's indeed feasible with a well researched power curve. But would fall apart as soon as someone added stuff to the drone like trackers and so on.

As to display, I just wish they would add heading (true or magnetic) to the controller - THAT would be very useful information.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlanTheBeast

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiremobiledevelopers