DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another drone threat thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
other juridictions have "near people" constraints and since this is an international forum not all readers are subject to FAA rules or 'non-rules'.
Yet the video appears to be from a U.S. location, soooooo....there are no "near" people restrictions in the U.S. I am aware of. Only OVER.

@rsmith I'm not sure how you managed to make it look like I said what I didn't. Might've been a mistake but I certainly didn't write this.
Screenshot 2022-01-20 104926.png
Anyway, I'll assume that you meant to say that and I agree that it's very good to carry a gun, but the way the person I was responding to said it suggested that they were more than willing to use it. I think that something like a drone being flown is something that bullets should not be shot over.

Yet the video appears to be from a U.S. location, soooooo....there are no "near" people restrictions in the U.S. I am aware of. Only OVER.
But still, I wouldn't want to be an unnecessary provocation. I mean, if you saw a drone flying near you (and you were a normal U.S. citizen generally uneducated about drones), what would come to mind? Probably the seemingly thousands of videos that star drones as reconnaissance tools and generally a bad connotation. Just because you can do something means you should do it.

But still, I wouldn't want to be an unnecessary provocation. I mean, if you saw a drone flying near you (and you were a normal U.S. citizen generally uneducated about drones), what would come to mind? Probably the seemingly thousands of videos that star drones as reconnaissance tools and generally a bad connotation. Just because you can do something means you should do it.
Did you watch the video? He was NOT that close to them. I can see if he was flying 10ft from them but he was quite the ways off. Stop trying to blame the PIC and excuse the illegal behavior of those throwing rocks at an aircraft. No excuse for it. The drone was NOT a threat to them.

Reactions: slozukimc
Personally, I would have probably done what the guy in the video did, but once I was away I would have called 911 and reported that he was accosted by someone claiming to be a LEO and was in fear of his safety.

Reactions: slozukimc
@rsmith I'm not sure how you managed to make it look like I said what I didn't. Might've been a mistake but I certainly didn't write this.
View attachment 142303
Anyway, I'll assume that you meant to say that and I agree that it's very good to carry a gun, but the way the person I was responding to said it suggested that they were more than willing to use it. I think that something like a drone being flown is something that bullets should not be shot over.
I agree with you. My intent was showing if the guys who threw the rocks had wanted to do bodily harm to the flyer when confronted, it isn't a bad thing to carry a gun.

Good morning to all-

Well, friends, if I'm in ANY situation where I feel threatened- fishing, boating, walking the dog, whatever... I leave. I have not led a sheltered life, and I've been in many "interesting" situations, and there is not one situation where my having a gun would have made things better.
Perhaps I'm narrow minded about this sort of thing, but if you fly- or walk- or fish- or whatever- in a place where you need a gun to be safe, well, I reckon you need to find a different place.
Too many guns- too many crazy people- a very bad combination.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

View attachment 142303

It was merely a formatting error and it's been fixed to not quote you in the 2nd part.

Reactions: BSauce955
Good morning to all-

Well, friends, if I'm in ANY situation where I feel threatened- fishing, boating, walking the dog, whatever... I leave. I have not led a sheltered life, and I've been in many "interesting" situations, and there is not one situation where my having a gun would have made things better.
Perhaps I'm narrow minded about this sort of thing, but if you fly- or walk- or fish- or whatever- in a place where you need a gun to be safe, well, I reckon you need to find a different place.
Too many guns- too many crazy people- a very bad combination.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

I whole heartedly DISAGREE! It's a personal choice and we are each allowed to decide what is right for us and our families. With today's whole "New Normal" I suspect many people have had a drastic change of heart in terms of "Personal Defense Choices".

And with that, this whole topic of GUNS is now over. No more mention of them or this thread will be completely shut down. There are better places (not Mavic Pilots) where we can discuss those topics.

Allen

Did you watch the video? He was NOT that close to them. I can see if he was flying 10ft from them but he was quite the ways off. Stop trying to blame the PIC and excuse the illegal behavior of those throwing rocks at an aircraft. No excuse for it. The drone was NOT a threat to them.
I am in no way excusing throwing rocks at an aircraft. I'm just saying that what you said suggests that you may fly as close to anyone as you wish and they shouldn't be allowed to have any say in it. I must disagree with that. That's only stirring up trouble and in general, I think you should avoid flying by anyone that's not participating in whatever you're filming.

Always best to avoid this type of confrontation, even if in the right and flying legally, it is just best to end the flight and leave. You may be right but putting yourself at unnecessary risk.

The other option, if you feel strongly and have the time, is call the police.

Just as pilots need to be aware of the applicable laws and where ignorance of the law is not a valid defence, the moment they starting throwing rocks in an attempt to damage and down the aircraft, they stepped into a whole different set of laws - the FAA’s territory.

In Canada, as with the USA, it is a illegal to destroy, damage or interfere with an ‘aircraft’ and the Federal laws consider a drone an ‘aircraft’, just the same as a plane.

I bet if he didn’t have all his buddies with him one thing he wouldn’t act like he was God which I’m a biblical man and God will take care of him for that you can trust me on that you’re a lot nicer than I am I’m a Texas boy I can’t say what would happen to him on here but he would never do that again some men need to be taught a lesson and you’re right that’s why he wanted you to delete the videos if I were you I would pursue this and prosecute him every way I could there was no need for him to do that it was just a punk I’ve been fine five years nobody’s ever tried that with me but you do need to be veryCareful when people all around some people just don’t like your Hobby probably just because they’re jealous have a blessed day God always takes care of these kind of situations

I think it's more important to be an ambassador right now in order to help reduce the fear and uncertainty of drones amongst the general public.
Yes, I agree. And in most instances you can be diplomatic when challenged, IF those who challenge you are civil. But when you are immediately threatened as in the video forget being an ambassador. It's time for fight or flight.

Sorry gang we just can't seem to help ourselves here.

Thread CLOSED!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman