DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another irresponsible drone operator flying illegally over a fire!

Well, as predicted, CASA (Civil Aviation Safety Authority) of Australia who regulates all aircraft operations in this country, in response to this drone operator flying over the fire fighting helicopters and forcing them to abandon their operations, has foreshadowed new requirements they will be enforcing next year where all hobby drone pilots will need to be registered by CASA.
in response to this drone operator flying over the fire fighting helicopters ???
Really?
We don't have any details of your rogue pilot because the item you linked is only viewable by Mercury subscribers.
But the way you've referred to it suggests it's a recent incident.
And you think that CASA has made some snap decisions to change the drone regulation regime as a result of his actions?
CASA don't do anything quickly.
They think long and hard before making any changes.
When they introduced the sub 2kg commercial rules, it was over two years between them announcing it and when it became official.
Rather than in response to this drone operator , I suspect CASA's latest might have something to do with this:
Govt inquiry urges mandatory drone registration
The article is 5 months old and refers to an inquiry that took two years.

You watch, Australia will start to make things a lot tougher, all thanks to a few fwits flounting the law and tarnishing the good image of the majority of responsible drone pilots.
Do you carry on that way when you hear of a car driver or a gun owner flounting (?) the law and tarnishing the good image of the majority of responsible owners?
Do lawmakers?
Why should drones be any different?

Reactions: TR Ganey and JDawg
The hole in the Pentagon is too small for an airliner to fit thru. Physical Measurements dont lie........

Sure it was. There are extensive reports about it that explain the physics. But conspiracy theorists will believe anything except science and engineering.

f0f1ebe3e364b2aefa609d84308e0c1e.jpg

Well, as predicted, CASA (Civil Aviation Safety Authority) of Australia who regulates all aircraft operations in this country, in response to this drone operator flying over the fire fighting helicopters and forcing them to abandon their operations, has foreshadowed new requirements they will be enforcing next year where all hobby drone pilots will need to be registered by CASA. At a cost no doubt, and along with this they are introducing new technology that will identify the serial number of your drone if it is detected flying illegally so they can start prosecuting offenders. You watch, Australia will start to make things a lot tougher, all thanks to a few fwits flounting the law and tarnishing the good image of the majority of responsible drone pilots.

Yep, not a surprise at all. It is always the few bad apples that spoil the fun for others.

There's a huge amount of irony to the situation. The morons that skirt the rules because they don't believe the rules should be there in the first place (or don't feel the rules should apply to them) are the very reason there are more and more rules. Idiots!

Mark

These Anti Drone measures need to be adopted throughout the world .
Readily available and in use in the States and latest Australia. Screenshot_20181230-045811_Google.jpg

Really, no one should be surprised by this - it was always going to happen. The Fire Fighting Helicopter incident was not the only one to occur in recent times - there have been others. If the proposed new regulatory measures are restricted to mandatory registration and the introduction of Drone Detection technology then I say that's a win-win.

Indeed, no one should be surprised if/when CASA hands down even more punitive measures due to, as mentioned above, "a few f-wits flouting the law and tarnishing the good image of the majority of responsible drone pilots". Is there a viable way to reign in the "idiot" minority? Is it about education? Is it about setting the example by severely punishing wrongdoers?

Just yesterday I was at one of Brisbane's 10 designated Drone parks (places where the non-drone flying public is encouraged to avoid when drones are operating in the area) practicing flying my drone with a few different settings. There was a guy there with his partner and kid flying a Phantom everywhere but within the boundaries of the designated (and clearly signed) area.

I politely mentioned to him that it might not be a good optics for people to see what he was doing given that he was standing less than 5 metres away from the Drone Park sign. The guy totally ignored me but his wife said, "Oh that's OK - we won't be here for much longer". I replied, "Just wanted to mention it" and walked away.

Folks, until such time as this "it's all about me" attitude is eradicated the recreational drone flying community will continue to be viewed as a bunch of cowboys who should be totally banned. Even if only say 10% of the public become drone haters, they will be the ones who shout their opinions from the rooftops. It's how it always happens - the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

You are right Crystal-Pete; how do you stop the 'idiot factor'? In Tasmania, the government has a pamphlet out advising on the do's and don'ts of drone flying. Basically an info sheet from the CASA drone flying requirements. However, this one also has some websites/contact points where members of the public can dob in drone users who don't comply, so CASA can come knocking on their door. Probably a good thing I guess if you are doing the right thing, and not so good for those flaunting the guidelines/law. It will be a brave new world as the screws get tightened; I just hope there will still be place for drones in it. Very interesting about your Drone Parks in Brisbane. I haven't heard of them, but I guess, just like dog parks, they are places local councils set aside to 'contain' the problem :)

Reactions: deleted member 877
These Anti Drone measures need to be adopted throughout the world .
Readily available and in use in the States and latest Australia. View attachment 57124
Wowsers! These look like something out of a Star Wars movie! Totally unnecessary if everyone did the right thing though!

Conspiracy theories are fun, but if you wanted to disrupt things it would be a lot easier to just buy a cheap drone and fly it over the airport than try to hack a secure air traffic control system.
s
Oh jeeeus, we got a live one...

I used to do magic tricks for my kids. Grew into a bit of a hobby and I had a number of tricks I would do for my friends and crew members. One of my favorites was to take out a hand full of change, and ask the observer to pick one. Then I would have them mark it on both sides with whatever design they wanted with any of several colored pens. I would then "do a little magic", and the coin would vanish. I would reach into my jacket and pull out a nest of boxes all held closed with rubber bands and wrapping paper. When they got to the final box, their coin would be found. The amazing thing to me was how many people thought I did it with a duplicate coin. They thought that somehow, I would know which coin they would choose, which pens they would use, and what designs they would draw, and preload a duplicate. I wouldn't tell them the simple technique that was actually in play, but I would tell them that if I could predict all those choices, it would be a much more amazing that what I had done.

Bottom line, usually the simplest answer is the right one. Hacking the tower? Highly unlikely. One or more drones intentionally flown over the airfield is the simplest, and I would bet, the most likely explanation. Hopefully, we will find out eventually.

And I wonder, whatever happened to all the people and the aircraft that made up Flt 77. Assuming, that it didn't hit the Pentagon, of course. I can't wait to hear the simple explanation of that.

Fly safe,,

Reactions: W2EJ
You know I keep hearing about new laws will hurt those who fly legally. How, keep flying legally, when your told you can't fly anymore quite flying. There so simple.

Reactions: PC1134
The hole in the Pentagon is too small for an airliner to fit thru. Physical Measurements dont lie........
Link to these... facts? Of course all the security video footage and eye witness testimony were all paid mis-informants?... but this is best left to another thread and is getting off topic ;-)

That is awesome. Well done Brisbane City Council. I will speak with our local council and show them this. Once a precedent is set, others arw more likely to follow. Much appreciated.

How, how, how?
You should have asked him for more details of how he achieved that.
A stock DJI drone isn't going to do that and if he hacked it, he wouldn't have got the drone back intact.
Just to get up to that height and back would take 45 minutes.
And if he somehow managed to get that high, it's almost certain that winds at that level would have taken the drone in the direction of New Zealand.

There's a video on YouTube of a guy that went to 33,000'. It was not a DJI. I think he actually flipped it upside down to bring it down faster as he was running out of battery.

Link to these... facts? Of course all the security video footage and eye witness testimony were all paid mis-informants?... but this is best left to another thread and is getting off topic ;-)
It's always easier to believe there was a widespread conspiracy than that something you wish didn't happen actually did.

Well, as predicted, CASA (Civil Aviation Safety Authority) of Australia who regulates all aircraft operations in this country, in response to this drone operator flying over the fire fighting helicopters and forcing them to abandon their operations, has foreshadowed new requirements they will be enforcing next year where all hobby drone pilots will need to be registered by CASA. At a cost no doubt, and along with this they are introducing new technology that will identify the serial number of your drone if it is detected flying illegally so they can start prosecuting offenders. You watch, Australia will start to make things a lot tougher, all thanks to a few fwits flounting the law and tarnishing the good image of the majority of responsible drone pilots.

I for one welcome our new drone overlords....

But seriously:
I have no problem with drone registration - my Mavic2 is already registered with DJI for warranty/Care Refresh anyway, so if authorities had identified a drone as DJI and had it's serial number, they are going to find it's owner.
OR they are going to find that the drone isn't registered with anyone including the manufacturer.

My only concern would be the cost - if' it's a $5 one-off (or perhaps annual or 5-yearl) fee for drones over 100g, you are going to get good compliance rates.

If they were to do something stupid like a $100 annual fee for all drones of any size, they are just going to make 95% of recreational drone operators illegal by default. This will have absolutely no effect other than adding one more charge to what will already be a long list if they catch someone - so I very much doubt they will do that.

One of the things I really like about DJI drones is that they make it relatively simple for law-abiding pilots to provide evidence of what their drone was up to on the night in question :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure