DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another new pilot from Colorado

Welcome homie, I'm an avid mountaineer here in CO. Bit of advice, wise choice to use the prop guards but, as a new pilot just stay away from EVERYTHING for a while. Ease into closer flying ONLY flying forwards so you can see exactly what is coming. I killed my first drone doing a slider move/flying sideways. It is so tempting to take chances, get cool flybys. . . . you will be doing it all the time as long as you take your time and have a working drone for that time to practice with. Personally, I've moved away from too much proximity flying and I used to be an RC combat wing battle champ. I also found, especially here in CO that my "big scenes were equally impressive, sometimes more impressive and they were easy stress free shots. As I'm sure you know, close flight causes stress and stress stifles creativity. Stay clear and relaxed and ease in and you will be the best pilot you can be with the best video. . . now dial in a video editor, cool music and let me know where to tune in!

Another new pilot from Colorado and the proud owner of a Mavic 2 Pro checking in. My wife and I are fortunate to live on 42 acres of Colorado forest between Peyton and Elbert Colorado, so there is lots of room to fly, albeit more challenging given the forestation.

This is my first drone and it took maybe 60 seconds into my first flight before I was *hooked*!!! I was looking for a new and interactive hobby and I've found it. My wife and I are avid outdoor recreationists and it's going to be a lot of fun making video memories with the aerial camera.

I'm very glad I bought the prop guards due to all of the trees on our land. The obstacle avoidance system is good but it clearly cannot detect everything, hence during my first Close Encounter of the Conifer Kind a few pine needles got a haircut, but that's it; the prop guards did their job.

Happy New Year and Happy Flying to all.

Dan
Welcome to the forum from a fellow Colorado pilot. I'm jealous of you having 42 acres! That's awesome! I'm up here in Estes Park right next to RMNP. We're lucky to be living in a place that many others only dream of. We certainly have some great scenery to fly around. Happy and safe flying!

Hello all,
Thanks again for the warm welcome. I've been able to spend time flying and settling on a control configuration, using the different intelligent controller modes, and developing a "feel" for the controls; it's been fun! The land around our home is heavily wooded, the terrain is highly variable, and requires very good situational awareness. It's definitely a more challenging place in which to learn to fly a drone.

Since we have so many trees, I have spent time flying around them and practicing avoidance. I've also done quite a bit of low altitude flying along our very long and sloping driveway. It would be just as easy to hit a tree as it would be to hit the ground if I'm not paying attention to the altitude.

I took the drone up to Grand Lake, CO a couple of months ago and got some decent footage of the damage from the Troublesome fire and also followed the snowmobile trail groomer for a bit. I need to edit and post it when time permits.

Happy flying all!

Dan

Another new pilot from Colorado and the proud owner of a Mavic 2 Pro checking in. My wife and I are fortunate to live on 42 acres of Colorado forest between Peyton and Elbert Colorado, so there is lots of room to fly, albeit more challenging given the forestation.

This is my first drone and it took maybe 60 seconds into my first flight before I was *hooked*!!! I was looking for a new and interactive hobby and I've found it. My wife and I are avid outdoor recreationists and it's going to be a lot of fun making video memories with the aerial camera.

I'm very glad I bought the prop guards due to all of the trees on our land. The obstacle avoidance system is good but it clearly cannot detect everything, hence during my first Close Encounter of the Conifer Kind a few pine needles got a haircut, but that's it; the prop guards did their job.

Happy New Year and Happy Flying to all.

Dan
Welcome!! Another victim of the drone addiction. I used to live in Steamboat and then just down the road from you in CS. You do have some great areas to explore. I wish the drones were around when I was hiking there. Some great vistas.

Welcome!! Another victim of the drone addiction. I used to live in Steamboat and then just down the road from you in CS. You do have some great areas to explore. I wish the drones were around when I was hiking there. Some great vistas.
My wife and I are also snowmobilers and try to make a trip up to Rabbit Ears each season and we often stay in Steamboat. It's such a beautiful place!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000