DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Antenna amplifier

cdglider

Reactions
Looking at purchasing this antenna amplifier, has anyone tried this and would it be worth the purchase?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200908-031143_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20200908-031143_Firefox.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 136
Are you prepared to mod the controller ?
If you have the M2P, MP, MA, Spark or MM controller design it's hard to replace the original bladed antenna's as they may get damaged in removal.
It's a bit easier with the MA2 remote controller but you need to be careful with the IPX connectors.

Might be cheaper to try the passive yagi antenna first

Reactions: MoparManiac
Looking at purchasing this antenna amplifier, has anyone tried this and would it be worth the purchase?

I have the older model of the Alientech Duo. Mine is the Alientech Pro 2.4 Ghz and it works very well. I am getting a range of around 4 Km if so desired on my CE Mavic Mini. Within VLOS no loss of signal at all. As you are in the USA with a FCC Mavic Mini then there is no reason to buy the new Duo version (2.4/5.8 Ghz) as your MM is on a fixed frequency of 5.8 Ghz so you do not use 2.4 Ghz. You will save quite a few dollars just buying the Pro 5.8 Ghz version.

Reactions: Myha and Gary R
Just keep in mind, the if they do work, they work "outgoing" only, as in the signal may be "boosted", but the downlink from the AC is unaffected...

Reactions: boblui

I've also been looking at the same unit. I have both the mm CE and FCC models and a MA2. I've been using 4hawks extenders on the both minis with no problem and good results but they are passive units (no power amplifier as the Alientech has). I've also modded the minis to the Alientech quick connectors and have RP-SMA adapters to the 4Hawks.

A friend here has the same drone as you and a smart controller and looking to purchase the Alientech DUO II for it. He is waiting to see what others are saying and the results after testing... He, like others, has noticed that the signal strength of the SC is less than the regular RC and really likes the SC but wants a signal boost.

As stated in this thread before RC modification is required. If you are not concerned about digging into the RC then it should not be a problem. If you are then it's better to send the RC to someone who does component work for a living. Covert Drones is close to you (MN) and I've had a couple friends have him do some work for them with no problems.

Reactions: cdglider
The installation video I watched for the new MA2 controller looked pretty straightforward. No soldering involved. Getting the two halves of the shell apart looked like the most difficult part of the job.

The installation video I watched for the new MA2 controller looked pretty straightforward. No soldering involved. Getting the two halves of the shell apart looked like the most difficult part of the job.

The most difficult part is getting the IPX connector off the core boar, but if your careful/gentle and use the right plastic tools it's not a problem

Yes, I've watched the same and was wondering if he was going to get the RC apart without breaking the tabs.

4Hawks will have an extender for the MA2 in a couple weeks. I don't know if it is a passive or amplified yet. I'm interested to see if the same installation sequence is required as the Alientech or if it just would be in the antenna (phone holder) itself.... For the mini its the same sequence for both Alientech and 4Hawks and the only difference is the quick connector for the Alientech and the RP-SMA connector for the 4 Hawks.

Time will tell....

I have the Allientech 5.8 booster and really works well. The Duo II nobody can tell you yet because will be released in 3 days, the day 11. I will be getting one since i have the controller modifications already done. Is not that difficult but take time. Just be careful with the installation and follow the video.

I have the Allientech 5.8 booster and really works well. The Duo II nobody can tell you yet because will be released in 3 days, the day 11. I will be getting one since i have the controller modifications already done. Is not that difficult but take time. Just be careful with the installation and follow the video.

Have you modded your smart controller as well ?

Reactions: Gary R
This setup is much cheaper,and just slips on.

Attachments

• 20200909_193943.jpg
    20200909_193943.jpg
    944.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 20200909_194025.jpg
    20200909_194025.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 69
  • 20200909_193307.jpg
    20200909_193307.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 66
Reactions: zeusfl
Just keep in mind, the if they do work, they work "outgoing" only, as in the signal may be "boosted", but the downlink from the AC is unaffected...
Can you expand on this please? I think what your are saying is the amp is only amplifying the frequency to the UAV but the UAV isn't amplifying it's frequency back to the RC w/ the attached amp?
This may be un-related to your response. When I use one of these amps and begin my return flight back i notice my batteries power diminishes at a faster rate when coming back.

True only for the active part (amplifier ) , if any , inside the antenna. The gain of the passive part of the antenna helps both the uplink and downlink to the same extent

Might be cheaper to try the passive yagi antenna first

[/QUOTE]

Any luck trying this on the MA2? I'm curious how much improvement there is..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada