DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anti-Glare Protector?

Auggie

Reactions
Anyone try and recommend an anti-glare film for the Smart Controller?

Do they actually work well of reducing glare without interfering with touch sensitivity and obscuring (too much) fine details on the display?

I noticed a tremendous amount of glare the one and only time I've been able to fly, and although I could generally see the screen, it was certainly distracting.

So I'm trying to choose between an anti-glare film or a hood.

Look forward to your experiences with protector; the ad copy sounds good but proper execution has always been the issue.

It does seem to have favorable reviews, and it appears to be a German-made product, so that could be another plus...

Never had a problem with glare but you might want to try what I learned 1st time using the SC. This was the screen did not appear as bright as reviews indicated. Pulling the screen down from the top it showed the screen brightness set to Auto and the slider at 75% brightness. Since unchecking Auto and moving slider all the way to the right there has been no need for a sunshade nor any glare.

Reactions: Auggie

Do they actually work well of reducing glare without interfering with touch sensitivity and obscuring (too much) fine details on the display?
Hi Auggie,
I use them on all my screens, as for the smartphone, the Hero8, and my Sony DSLR! It´s the best purchase I did in the last months! No mor reflexes on the screens! ??
cheers Paul
the brand doesn´t matter!
here some examples:

Never had a problem with glare but you might want to try what I learned 1st time using the SC. This was the screen did not appear as bright as reviews indicated. Pulling the screen down from the top it showed the screen brightness set to Auto and the slider at 75% brightness. Since unchecking Auto and moving slider all the way to the right there has been no need for a sunshade nor any glare.
Thanks! Any chance you have run a timed test to see how long the battery lasts while operating a drone AND with 100% brightness?

Thanks! Any chance you have run a timed test to see how long the battery lasts while operating a drone AND with 100% brightness?
Recall using 3 batteries (Mavic 2 Pro) and SC had 60% remaining. Never ran it down to 0% and cannot see myself using 6 batteries in a day. Maybe a Professional might, but you'd think they'd have auxiliary battery power and backup SC/UAS/Batteries.

I noticed a tremendous amount of glare the one and only time I've been able to fly, and although I could generally see the screen, it was certainly distracting.

I got a hood but it only helps slightly. Reflections are still a problem unless l put my face right up to it but then my eyesight won't allow me to focus on the tablet and it interferes with situational awareness. It also adds weight and affects the balance of the controller and increases muscle fatigue in my forearms

Yea my one and only flight I had the screen set to Auto but it was hard to see the broadcast video. Only post-op did I set it to manual and max brightness. I'm trying to go for my second flight some time today after my batteries recharge; I discovered that since it's been a week from when I recharged after the first flight, the "intelligent" batteries automatically discharge to ~60% to prevent swelling.

This next flight should tell me if the brightness adjustment improves visibility of the video feed for me or not...

I did my second flight yesterday with the SC brightness on cranked up max on manual and I was able to see the video feed much better. Still some annoying glare but I think I'll just use it as-is for now and see if it's acceptable enough for my usage. I'm just afraid of losing sensitivity and clarity with an anti-glare protector so I'm going to put it off for the time being...

BTW, for one almost completely depleted battery (was getting low battery audio prompt on SC), it used up 13% of the SC's battery (was at 77% when flight ops completed).

Last edited:
I did four back to back flights using each battery until I got the "Low Batt" from the controller report of the birds battery, bright sunny day and during the last flight of the Air 2 almost the same time I got the "L" warning of the A2's battery the controller "BW" came on, it was sort of a nail biter as that the bird was still a ways out and small enough to be difficult to see so I was relying on the screen to navigate, then the screen dimmed way down, and I believe, since I haven't touched the factory sets, that control was on auto.

I could see my screen clearly for the first three half hour flights, so figure when you're near the end of the fourth flight it's going away soon.

I have tempered glass screen protector, it's going on today after I clean the screen.

Understanding all the personal issues I had when I first got the SM, it's turned into a well though out unit.

I did my second flight yesterday with the SC brightness on cranked up max on manual and I was able to see the video feed much better. Still some annoying glare but I think I'll just use it as-is for now and see if it's acceptable enough for my usage. I'm just afraid of losing sensitivity and clarity with an anti-glare protector so I'm going to put it off for the time being...

BTW, for one almost completely depleted battery (was getting low battery audio prompt on SC), it used up 13% of the SC's battery (was at 77% when flight ops completed).
I used these before I got a SC. Solid company and well thought out design....after looking them up to see if they had them for a SC...I just ordered one, I have no problem seeing my SC screen 95% of the time though.

I've got sun shades on three of my other controller's, with the side shades you have to lift the controller out and away to finger tip the screen, and my fingers are fat so they always bump around the shades, but the shades are needed to fly on a sunny day with those controllers.

The screen of the SC is bright enough not to need one where I live, maybe different in the lower latitudes,
Also, I'm wide enough to get a good shady spot to rest the controller,,,,,,,,,,,

The only glaring I'm seeing is from people passing my old van on the highway,,,,
Wonder if they have an anti-glare coverings for those situations,,,,,,

I finally got the TinyRigs Smart Controller Screen Guard with Neck Strap from the slow boat from China:

IMG_8447.jpg

Box was a little crushed from being packed in a flimsy plastic bag.

IMG_8449.jpg

But contents intact.

IMG_8450.jpg

The swiveling hooks were the primary reason I bought this kit, and they fit smoothly and securely with no looseness.

IMG_8453.jpg

The screen guard was secondary to my needs, but fits the controller nicely.

IMG_8454.jpg

I can press all the buttons well enough, but my fingers aren't fat sausages so others may find pressing the buttons more difficult.

IMG_8455.jpg

The flip-up screen guard is unobtrusive.

IMG_8456.jpg

But I have yet to fly with this new setup.

IMG_8457.jpg

The neck strap isn't half bad. I may actually use this for awhile and put-off buying a Peak Design Slide Strap.

IMG_8460.jpg

And everything fits tidely in my Pgytech bag.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catalinbbc27