DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any High Wind Casualties?

In high wind the Mavic did great until a tree branch came off an took it out. Sitting there in the middle of a walking path, on video starting the track mode, and off of a a tree comes a branch straight into the drone. Made me sick as it was handling the wind just fine, I guess the tree was weaker.

Byfield, MA
Have had the little Mavic out in very
gusty winds this week. Winds at 20-25
with 40 MPH gusts. Mavic was really rock solid. However
definitely needs the Sport mode to make any real
progress into the wind. A great suggestion mentioned in this forum
is to fly on a full battery into the wind - then return home with the wind.
The Mavic was flying so fast we lost sight of it and
had to stop and let it hover to locate it ! Only problem: forgot
to load in the SD card !

So this is good information here. It really appears that noone has had their mavic "pitched" over or tossed by the wind to the point of crashing.

The only real threat is the wind hinders flight speed and a simple switch into sport mode seems to negate that issue for the most part so it makes me wonder... What wind speeds can we actually fly in "safely". I mean 40 mps gusts and a solid Mavic is quite impressive!!!

This thing is a beast;)

Not a casualty per say, I thought about having to land and drive to pick it up but luckily. I decident to decend a bit and the winds weren't as strong so I was able to come home at 8mph instead of the 1-2mph about 20-30 feet above my previous position. It definitely isn't as strong in the wind as my Phantom 3, my Phantom 3 would of cut through that wind like it was nothing.

High wind and low speed coming home I always switch to sport mode. And while wind is slower lower, it may also be more turbulent due to interaction with trees, terrain, buildings and so on so a good clearance height is, IMO, wise.

Byfield, MA
Only problem: forgot
to load in the SD card !

I think the latest firmware update allows it to still cache the video to your phone even if you forget the SD card .

Be advised that at altitude in high winds (15-20mph) the Mavic is getting tossed around pretty hard and having to use a lot of energy to stay on course . It's the video that can be deceiving as it does an excellent job of keeping things looking steady . I filmed a friends Inspire2 as he was filming my Mavic and while his was pretty much rock steady in a hover at 167' , my Mavic was doing the jitterbug trying to stay in one place . Ground level wind was near non-existent and I have no idea of what the wind speed was up there at the time . I did get a high wind warning though .

It seems like you need to fly in REALLY heavy winds to make the mavic crash or flip solely because of the wind. And look at what the warning message actually say: "fly with caution and ensure the aircraft remains in sight". It doesen´t tell us to land it right away, but tells us to fly with caution, and keep an eye on it. Probably so that you can monitor how it behaves in the wind, and not drifting towards any obstacles.

I think the latest firmware update allows it to still cache the video to your phone even if you forget the SD card .
Is that documented anywhere? If so, that's a first. Even with video caching turned on and a microSD card in the aircraft, you still have to be actively recording video to the microSD card to have any video cached locally onto the tablet, unless they have changed that feature, and I missed it.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet