DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any missed opportunities while flying?

SXB1

Reactions
Although my missed opportunity was before i had my Mavic, so was back then using the Spark.
We'd gone to the coast for a long weekend at our static, nothing much there except for the camp site, beach and farmers fields.
We decided to go for a long beach walk, it was just turning dusk so I decided to take the drone along.
Setup about half mile down the beach as usual, I always watch my drone to a set hover height before looking at the display screen to alter anything before doing what I intend to do. At this point my wife was shouting "oh my god, what is that", i looked over to her and she was looking up towards the drone, by the time I looked at the drone a huge barn owl was flying away! "That'll look amazing on film" she said as it had flown up from the field, hovered in front and then circled the drone before flying away......"Yeah it would have if it was filming".....absolutely gutted, I'd not been filming as I'd only just launched and was doing checks.
So that's my missed opportunity, just wondered if anyone had similar stories?

Reactions: Gindra
I had a missed opportunity because i had my MP. We were on an island when a pod of Orcas swam by no more than 50 feet offshore. I was already airborne above the island and knowing the rules about harassing protected whales I just hovered in place trying to spot them on my monitor as they swam by. Unfortunately, a whale spout and a white capped wave look alike at 400 feet when viewed on a small monitor on a sunny day. It is comical to view the video because as it turned out I was pointed at the right spot but did not know it. The video shows them swimming by while I alternated between looking at the whale watching boats in the distance and then the area that I (correctly) guessed they should be.

I was so intent on recording them that I missed the once in a lifetime opportunity to just experience them.

Yeah but it was a full sized Piper Cub aircraft about 35' off the water coming right at my drone. My home point was on the stream bank about a hundred feet from where he flew by. Barely had time to react. Wish I had been shooting video but my main goal was to get out of the way. BTW this pilot seems to do this quite often and very close to fishermen on the banks.

I usually fly to what I want to compose, capture what I want, then return w/o shooting video.

Reactions: SXB1
Not while flying, but I can say for sure that I've missed out on opportunity by not bring mine with me on my work trip this week. Thankfully I'll be back here in two weeks to redeem myself.

Reactions: SXB1
Yea I had a couple women flashing my drone and I didn't have the video on. Im watching them on my screen and really couldn't see much as they were so small on my monitor. Dang!!

one of the main reasons i have now got 5 batteries ,is missed scenic views that always seemed to appear after i had been out for a few hours and used up the 4 batts i had with me,trouble is i expect it wont be long before the same thing happens after i have flown my now 5th battery, well it seemed a good excuse to get another battery at the time

one of the main reasons i have now got 5 batteries ,is missed scenic views that always seemed to appear after i had been out for a few hours and used up the 4 batts i had with me,trouble is i expect it wont be long before the same thing happens after i have flown my now 5th battery, well it seemed a good excuse to get another battery at the time
I too am getting my 4th batter tommorow,ha ha

Although my missed opportunity was before i had my Mavic, so was back then using the Spark.
We'd gone to the coast for a long weekend at our static, nothing much there except for the camp site, beach and farmers fields.
We decided to go for a long beach walk, it was just turning dusk so I decided to take the drone along.
Setup about half mile down the beach as usual, I always watch my drone to a set hover height before looking at the display screen to alter anything before doing what I intend to do. At this point my wife was shouting "oh my god, what is that", i looked over to her and she was looking up towards the drone, by the time I looked at the drone a huge barn owl was flying away! "That'll look amazing on film" she said as it had flown up from the field, hovered in front and then circled the drone before flying away......"Yeah it would have if it was filming".....absolutely gutted, I'd not been filming as I'd only just launched and was doing checks.
So that's my missed opportunity, just wondered if anyone had similar stories?

I always work on my settings with the drone powered up, but still on the ground. Then always start recording before I push the left stick up. I also switch back to recording immediately after taking stills. That way I'm capturing video virtually the entire time my drone is in the air. You can always delete unwanted footage, but like you said the alternative is missed footage.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NIKLM