DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any new speed records in the last two and a half years? More than 78.5MPH?

Brockrock

Reactions
I shared this video here during April 2020. I had just remapped some of my Mavic 2 Pro's flight setting to allow for selecting ATTI mode in lieu of Tripod mode, and the weather/winds were perfect for doing a speed run. Short version of the story, and reason for re-posting. I saw a top speed of 78.5 MPH, and I am wondering if anyone here has documented a higher speed since. If you are further interested, the longer version of this story follows, and the video link is below.

As indicated at the start of the video, the winds at the local airport were reported out of the southwest at 16kts gusting 26kts. Perfect. That meant the winds were stronger above. I went to one of my coastal spots ideal for these winds, and I launched heading directly into the wind full throttle in P-Mode at about 36 feet. This was high enough off the water to not risk direct salt spray, and also in the lower winds. I flew outbound about 1 mile. I then turn 180 degrees while climbing to 330 or so feet. I then switch to ATTI mode. As can be seen with the screen recording of the Go 4 app during the return flight, the top speed indicated was 78.5 MPH. My favorite part of the video is at the end where cars can be seen pulling slowly onto the point, and then the flag flailing in the wind.

I'm not sure of another Mavic style system other than the 2-series that could do this. It requires ATTI mode, and it has powerful motors for heavy wind. Some may wonder about this ATTI mode, but if you search a bit here, you will find your answers. The Phantom 4 had ATTI stock. Best I did with that was 65MPH. I didn't have screen record on my iPad though, so take my word. IMO, the Mavic 2 is still the best 'prosumer' drone DJI has made to date.

I shared this video here during April 2020. I had just remapped some of my Mavic 2 Pro's flight setting to allow for selecting ATTI mode in lieu of Tripod mode, and the weather/winds were perfect for doing a speed run. Short version of the story, and reason for re-posting. I saw a top speed of 78.5 MPH, and I am wondering if anyone here has documented a higher speed since. If you are further interested, the longer version of this story follows, and the video link is below.

As indicated at the start of the video, the winds at the local airport were reported out of the southwest at 16kts gusting 26kts. Perfect. That meant the winds were stronger above. I went to one of my coastal spots ideal for these winds, and I launched heading directly into the wind full throttle in P-Mode at about 36 feet. This was high enough off the water to not risk direct salt spray, and also in the lower winds. I flew outbound about 1 mile. I then turn 180 degrees while climbing to 330 or so feet. I then switch to ATTI mode. As can be seen with the screen recording of the Go 4 app during the return flight, the top speed indicated was 78.5 MPH. My favorite part of the video is at the end where cars can be seen pulling slowly onto the point, and then the flag flailing in the wind.

I'm not sure of another Mavic style system other than the 2-series that could do this. It requires ATTI mode, and it has powerful motors for heavy wind. Some may wonder about this ATTI mode, but if you search a bit here, you will find your answers. The Phantom 4 had ATTI stock. Best I did with that was 65MPH. I didn't have screen record on my iPad though, so take my word. IMO, the Mavic 2 is still the best 'prosumer' drone DJI has made to date.

I know this is not about Phantom models, but I documented a had sustained speed of over 70mph with a top speed of 72.12 mph with an old Phantom 2 back in 2014 in ATTI mode that was recorded in a FlyTrex Speed Challenge. . I have not tried a speed run with my Mavic 2 yet.
1667271459864.png

Last edited:
I know this is not about Phantom models, but I documented a had sustained speed of over 70mph with a top speed of 72.12 mph with an old Phantom 2 back in 2014 in ATTI mode that was recorded in a FlyTrex Speed Challenge. . I have not tried a speed run with my Mavic 2 yet.
View attachment 156559
Very nice. It's fun. Sometimes just flying around gets a bit boring.

I rarely use Sport mode on my M2, especially in high winds, and I know that sounds counterintuitive, but there is a reason. In P mode, the top speed is 31MPH. As such, I feel comfortable in steady state winds at/near that speed and have not gotten into trouble during many high wind flights. I consider Sport mode to be my safety margin if needed. It's top speed is 44.7 MPH, If I get into trouble, it's there to help and probably succeed. I do, however, think if I tried a higher wind flight using only Sport and then ATTI mode, I could see speeds over 90 MPH. I would never do that though. It's an aircraft, and if a safety margin is possible, it should be used.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato