DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any place in Melbourne fl to fly our drones?

This is great to hear. My company is based in Melborune FL and I have to come out there on occasion. Was thinking of bringing my MP to fly on the beach next time I am there

I've been flying the beaches for about a year now, never had any complaints and very friendly with the lifeguards and surfers ;o) As a matter of fact, I'm flying Paradise Beach this morning about 8:30am to 10:00am, you are welcome to join me if you want. I don't try to fly in Melbourne around the airport though, I see small planes and helicopters below 500 feet around my house in Lake Washington ;o( I also like to fly out at Lake Washington itself, near the boat and airboat ramps, you can reach over the lake to the St. Johns river dam at the north end!!

Are you still looking for mavic pilots in Melbourne Florida? I am in Lake Washington area, and fly with 3 others from Palm Bay and Viera if you want to hook up with us :)
I just moved right outside of Patrick AFB and I am looking forward to meeting some of you guys who fly out here. I know that I cannot fly out here but I’m hoping to find some cool places where I can.

I just moved right outside of Patrick AFB and I am looking forward to meeting some of you guys who fly out here. I know that I cannot fly out here but I’m hoping to find some cool places where I can.

Hey what’s up buddy! I live right on Pineda causeway and us1 , right across Patrick Air Force base. I usually fly around the beach and a place in Palm Bay called the compound

Reactions: Maat_Mavic
Hey what’s up buddy! I live right on Pineda causeway and us1 , right across Patrick Air Force base. I usually fly around the beach and a place in Palm Bay called the compound
Maat, BuzzLightYr - several Mavic pilots join up at Palm Bay Regional Park on weekdays(not weekends!), there were 3 of us flying yesterday. Myself, I also fly at Paradise Beach, Spessard Holland Beach, and Lake Washington. Our Mavic Group is up to 5 now, we sometimes do a "Fly 'n Ride" where we ride bikes for a few hours, stopping at good locations to fly drones, have lunch somewhere, and ride back to Melbourne. If either of you are interested, text or me at 321-505-5811 and I will hook you up for our next session ;o)
Dave

That sounds awesome, I would love to meet up with some cool folks who fly. When is the next time you are flying? Next week is no good for me but I'm free after that.

Maat, BuzzLightYr - several Mavic pilots join up at Palm Bay Regional Park on weekdays(not weekends!), there were 3 of us flying yesterday. Myself, I also fly at Paradise Beach, Spessard Holland Beach, and Lake Washington. Our Mavic Group is up to 5 now, we sometimes do a "Fly 'n Ride" where we ride bikes for a few hours, stopping at good locations to fly drones, have lunch somewhere, and ride back to Melbourne. If either of you are interested, text or me at 321-505-5811 and I will hook you up for our next session ;o)
Dave
That sound great, I am going to be busy next week because I have motorcycle training for my license M-W and my son turns 9 on the 5th so next week is a no go. But I look forward to meeting up with you all.

Sure thing, just give me a phone number or email and I'll keep you posted. Nothing on the books for this week, with the holiday on Wednesday, and next week I'm in Cocoa Beach all week at our timeshare. But if something pops up I can text or email you when the guys meet up again - a few days ago two of us rode Harleys south to the Orchid Causeway and over to Wabasso, then south on A1A to Vero Beach and back to Palm Bay, stopping for flying a couple of times ;o)
Dave

My son lives north of Melbourne Beach at Indialantic Beach and I fly there. It is within 5 miles of the Melbourne Int airport. I call the tower and if they are flying planes over the area that day they requested for me to stay under 200 ft. I used a DJI Spark but had terrible issues with wifi interference and most of the time flying eyesight only. I now have a Mavic 2 Zoom and can't wait for my next video there.

Beach

Glad to join you at Paradise Beach sometime, I fly my Mavic Platinum there a lot, and other friends fly there too. I will be out of town for this week, but coming back around the 12th or so ;o)
Dave

It's been a while here ..I was just noticing on the Google map where 404 by Patrick AFB goes all the way west to a dead end past 95.. Looks wide open out there and clear on the AirMap.

My son lives north of Melbourne Beach at Indialantic Beach and I fly there. It is within 5 miles of the Melbourne Int airport. I call the tower and if they are flying planes over the area that day they requested for me to stay under 200 ft. I used a DJI Spark but had terrible issues with wifi interference and most of the time flying eyesight only. I now have a Mavic 2 Zoom and can't wait for my next video there.

Beach
My next video with Mavic 2 Zoom, no issues with wifi. Called the tower no problem. When I tried to get above 200ft. the Mavic said that is as high I could go in the restricted area. Here's the video

That's quite possible. Melbourne airspace is controlled airspace as well as the Air Force base to the north.
Unfortunately both are not LAANC ready (red grid lines) according to FAA facilities map.

Looking closer at facilities map and DJI's map:
Facilities map shows 200' ceiling over by Canterbury Dr. About a mile east and south, ceiling is 400'. To the north 300'

On DJI's map they are less restrictive north and south of Canterbury, but way more restrictive east.

Looking closer at facilities map and DJI's map:
Facilities map shows 200' ceiling over by Canterbury Dr. About a mile east and south, ceiling is 400'. To the north 300'

On DJI's map they are less restrictive north and south of Canterbury, but way more restrictive east.
I was talking about 404 Pineda Causeway over the bridges all the way to the west end past 95 .. It's wide open out there and AirMap shows 400ft on the edge there then wide open fields.

Last edited:
Reactions: clydesur
What does geomap on flysafe.dji.com show over there?
Never used it but I just checked and it's even more open..I trust the airmap not that and I was asking for answers like does anyone fly there? not questions..thanks.

It's the DJI site that would most closely follow your Mavic's behavior. It has no direct insight to what LAANC or facilities map shows.

If your Mavic restricts you when their map doesn't show it should, email [email protected] about it.

Reactions: zenfly2
Just to be safe, I get an official FAA authorization when flying around MLB and other airports that are not yet LAANC ready. I lived in Palm Bay for a while and moved to Oklahoma about 2 years ago due to my father's illness. We come back and visit in the Melbourne/Palm Bay area quite often. I will be back out there mid January and have already gotten a blanket authorization for the entire duration of my visit. They are getting pretty fast and approving these as long as you fill them out correctly. It only takes me about 5 minutes to fill one out. The last one was approved in less than 24 hours. They always approve 300' for me around Paradise Beach. The friends we usually stay with only live a few blocks from there, so that is my main sunrise spot.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada