DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any predictions on new DJI - competitor to Skydio S2 and EVO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dougcjohn

Reactions
Many of us are limited in various activities with all the Covid19 activity, so a question of speculation and discusion Is tossed out into the “discussion pit”.

With the release of the Skydio S2 and it‘s advanced Object Avoidance and flight tracking... is there a DJI model (Mavic 3, etc) in the plans to compete or will DJI take a pass for now and measure & monitor S2 success? In my observations, the S2 has encountered several complaints or requests to handle their flight tracking with greater distance or simply more adjustability. Along with a few other desired improvements. I’m not sure if these have decreased the interest or motivated more interests if changes were implemented. Personally, the S2 is very intriguing, big “cool” factor, great electronics & USA made... all highly appealing! But also, as more reviews or use reports; question if it fits my needs or desires. I’ve ordered one, pending final decision after using. I‘ve noticed other re-sales or change of mind express similar. More than likely will keep it and see how it develops in FW.

Not a true “known” reality yet... close but not practically used by Buyers yet. The pending Autel release has many enthusiasts anxious for the EVO2 series. Looks very promising and well designed package. The 8K & IR 640 thermal has me peeked to see more once released. Extended Flight times, interchangeable gimbals, etc are strong assets for the EVO2.

One area that neither excel above a DJI product, is 3rd party apps or tools... and some models, optional 3rd party specialty payloads. Having option to run 3rd party apps has several benefits and often adds new features... often encouraging DJI to add to their Apps and also often duplicated on other Brands.

What’s your opinion, thoughts or predictions?

Mine...
I personally feel DJI will aggressively design competitively against the EVO 2. The EVO 2 is too close to their main market of potential & repeat Buyers. They aggressively focused on EVO 1, in-directly caused component delays and timed the news leaks and product of Mavic 2 around same timeline.

Regarding the S2, they’ll monitor it’s consumer interest. If market stays relatively low and unique to a small segment group, they’ll most likely not react... they may design and prototype for a reserve, but probably not develop if the interests remain low. Similar to Yuneec’s small Hex: 480H or 520H. They’ve never really attempted to compete directly with a small Hex. Making a little larger Phantom into a swappable payload Hex would have been a small task; yet they let that one run dry due to small margins, minimal threat. I forget the timeline, but DJI did show a prototype of a highly object avoidance, intelligent model a few years back and didn’t get much attention.

Interesting... over a 160 views and no comments, predictions, personal feelings, best bets?
The 2 newest entries and possible competitors to Mavic series.

This has been covered when they were first announced
and guess no one cares to rehash it. .Personally being a Mod in Skydio and read in the other I don’t see them even coming close to competing with DJI.
JMO

This has been covered when they were first announced
and guess no one cares to rehash it. .Personally being a Mod in Skydio and read in the other I don’t see them even coming close to competing with DJI.
JMO
I'd agree... it's been hashed over. Time has elapsed, little more info on 2 new ones.
Been viewed a lot, must be a little interest.

Basically, just thought I'd see if any discussion left... especially during a idle time.

You've read more of the S2 posts and various reviews than me... do you feel interest has simmered or potential of the S2 isn't viewed as game changing as it originally was perceived?

Been viewed a lot, must be a little interest.
Think you are correct or some would have posted in this.
As far as what i think about them doesn't matter. The Skydio has a place for those that wants what it does.
Interest here with these guys are with Mavic's and yes i think to much hype was threw out to begin with.
Anyone here that does have interest in them join/read in those forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll