DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any suggestions for recovering this drone now wedge high up in a pine tree?

I don't think anyone is going to climb high enough to retrieve the drone. The drone appears to be near the top of the tree where the trunk isn't strong enough to hold somebody. It also doesn't appear to be enough room to fly another drone into that cluster of branches.

It looks like you were flying in a park or on a golf course, which means having somebody climb up most of the way, topping the tree, and lowering it with a rope is out of the question.

You probably just need to hope for a strong wind.
Looks like he was on a golf course. It looks like he got caught at the top of a very, vey tall pine tree. I wish him luck.

Reactions: AZDave
This kind of general idea (throw bag):

I've thrown a weighted line into tall pine trees several times for a different purpose, and I can say with some assurance that the most likely outcome would be that the throw bag gets tangled in the branches about 40 to 50 feet (at best) up that 100 foot pine tree, with that bright yellow line hanging down until the golf course charges you for a tree climber to remove it.

This is what I did. My arborist friend was not around at the time. Good luck.

Attachments

• received_556582105694417.jpeg
    received_556582105694417.jpeg
    286.8 KB · Views: 13
  • received_2148195805337630.jpeg
    received_2148195805337630.jpeg
    444.4 KB · Views: 14
Meet Google Drive – One place for all your files
Here is the video that lead to this incident. Find my drone app clearly shows the location in the tree, but we have not been able to confirm visually, mostly because it’s at least 100 ft up.
Ask some drone pros in your area. That happened to me once and I found a guy who did rescue training and was an expert in getting up trees. Also, if you call around to some residential tree service people, they may be able to get up there and get it for you.

I paid about $100 to rescue a Mavic Air.

The fire department usually will not help unless you have a friend there. You could call them and say you think there is a cat in the tree (kitten works best) once they get there tell them you lost site of it but you think you can guide the bucket man to the spot. Once he is up there you say, hey what's that,,, pointing to the drone. If they bring it down say something like this, (how about that, I know who it belongs to and I know he will be glad to get it back.

Now you all know this was a joke right? Truth is, I have a lot praise and respect for the first responders.

The fire department usually will not help unless you have a friend there. You could call them and say you think there is a cat in the tree (kitten works best) once they get there tell them you lost site of it but you think you can guide the bucket man to the spot. Once he is up there you say, hey what's that,,, pointing to the drone. If they bring it down say something like this, (how about that, I know who it belongs to and I know he will be glad to get it back.

Now you all know this was a joke right? Truth is, I have a lot praise and respect for the first responders.
I hope no one actually does this suggestion. They might get fined for a false incident report.

Find a tree service with a boom lift…got to do it cheaper than a new drone.

Find a tree service with a boom lift…got to do it cheaper than a new drone.
The Fire Department (I’m a volunteer) won’t drive a cherry picker down the fairway of a gold course and the golf course wouldn’t allow it unless someone was trapped. Throwing weights, water bottles, etc 100 feet won’t work.
bow and arrow on a gold course?, good luck.
Get a long line, a large helium balloon with a weight hanging below (lift of the balloon is greater than the weight) and send it up on a calm day to shake the branch. You might even get lucky enough to snag the drone. You may want a spotter with binoculars to help guide you. Nobody on the golf course is going to yell at you for walking around with a balloon. Good luck.

Reactions: MA2 317
The Fire Department (I’m a volunteer) won’t drive a cherry picker down the fairway of a gold course and the golf course wouldn’t allow it unless someone was trapped. Throwing weights, water bottles, etc 100 feet won’t work.
bow and arrow on a gold course?, good luck.
Get a long line, a large helium balloon with a weight hanging below (lift of the balloon is greater than the weight) and send it up on a calm day to shake the branch. You might even get lucky enough to snag the drone. You may want a spotter with binoculars to help guide you. Nobody on the golf course is going to yell at you for walking around with a balloon. Good luck.
Tree trimmers wear climbing belts, spikes on shoes and ropes and can easily climb to heights that you would think the branches won’t support. $50-75 after hours. Amo brainer.

Nobody is going to be able to shake that tree enough to do any good, certainly not with any of the suggestions I've seen here so far. The OP lives in North Carolina. The hurricane season will be here soon, and that's more likely to flip that drone out of the tree than anything else.

Except that I think NC has already been getting a lot of rain so it's probably a moot point anyway. I suspect that the innards are pretty corroded already.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan