DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any suggestions for recovering this drone now wedge high up in a pine tree?

Hello from the Crossroads of America peckle.

I couldn't view the video, I needed permission to do so.

Other than climbing the tree yourself, a tree arborists should have all the tools necessary to retrieve the drone for a fee.

You might try a fishing pole to cast a line up into the tree to hook a branch and shake it.

I've read that a piece of rope tied to a trailer hitch ball is a good heavy item to fling into the branches too.

Probably need a sling shot for 100 feet.

I've seen rescue videos performed with another drone and a little ingenuity.

Good luck and welcome to the Forum. ?

I wonder if the fire department would get it down with a fire truck? They used to get cats out of trees ?
Do they still do that?

Meet Google Drive – One place for all your files
Here is the video that lead to this incident. Find my drone app clearly shows the location in the tree, but we have not been able to confirm visually, mostly because it’s at least 100 ft up.
Suggested Tools - Plumb bob, and a roll of bright-colored nylon twine... (it took hours of tossing the plumb-bob, but my MA2 landed on the ground with only a broken arm-Amazon had a new one to me in a day) and maybe practice flying far away from trees. Good Luck

Or you might try to find a tree trimmer/tree topping service, might be cheaper than an arborist. Maybe 75 bucks to climb up and then down....Easy peasy??

Meet Google Drive – One place for all your files
Here is the video that lead to this incident. Find my drone app clearly shows the location in the tree, but we have not been able to confirm visually, mostly because it’s at least 100 ft up.
Buy another small drone and fix an arm off it to carry a light weight nylon fishing line and loop up to the snagged drone, hook the line around a rotor and pull …….. Don’t drink any beer beforehand ? ???

Hire a tree climber

Dawnvt has the best idea. It's what I did years ago when flying my training drone when I hit a Pine tree and it stuck in the needles. We tied nylon camping tent line to three big, heavy washers that were tied together. Then we threw that (underhanded...hey, I'm no major league baseball pitcher), at the branch where the drone was stuck. Once we had the line around the branch we pulled hard and let go several times forcing the branch to bounce. We did want to break it. That jarred loose the drone and down it fell. It hit soft pine needles so there was no damage. Good luck.

I am an arborist and can comment on some of this. First, as for climbing the tree yourself, I knew a man who wanted to trim his own tree. The branches were about 15 feet off the ground. He fell, broke his neck and died a few days later. He left his new bride in a very difficult situation. It is easy to get hurt climbing trees. How far out on the limb is your drone? That is also a complicating factor.

How would an arborist get up your tree? Generally, I would use a sack filled with shot that is attached to a thin, but very strong cord. I have a very special sling shot that I launch the sack over very sturdy branches. I retrieve the shot sack on the ground after it has been shot up and over the branch and I remove the shot sack, and tie on my climbing rope. I use the think cord to pull my climbing rope over the sturdy branches and back down to me. Then I clip ascenders onto one end of the rope and climb the rope to get to the location where the rope went over the branch. Do I need to climb higher? There are other challenging methods to continue upwards. Do I need to climb far out to the edge of small limbs to reach the drone? If so, I would fix my rope much higher than the drone and rappel down some distance to the level of the drone and then limb walk outwards to the drone. The rope fixed from above will allow me to pendulum and walk outwards, but it's not for the feint of heart. You can see the sling shot that I used by searching for the Notch Big Shot Set (2x 4' Poles) on Amazon. However, my rope also costs nearly $200 and the ascenders are also several hundred dollars in total, add on the price of the harness and the flip line... it's not cheap.

Keep in mind I have a cable covered with nylon rope, called a flip line, that I can solidly anchor into the tree at important places. I have other attachments that I can use to secure myself. Sometimes the branches that I shoot the rope over break and I have to know how to back that up and maintain my safety. It is a complicated process that is impossible to completely explain here.

IF you can find a sling shot and shoot a line over the limb in a location away from the trunk, you might be able to shake the limb and dislodge the drone without climbing the tree. That would be the safest option for you. A professional sling shot and gear would cost well over $100. I live in California. If you want to send me an airline ticket, I'll come and rescue it for you. That would be an expensive solution since you are in NC.

The way I got my first drone out of a very tall white pine was (after a lot of other futile methods) tying (taping) some fishing line to a tennis ball and then wacking the ball over the branch where the drone was. Then a few yanks and the drone came loose and seemed to autorotate on the way down (but it was a cheap toy drone). I had tried throwing the ball but couldn’t get anywhere near the height I needed.

Not sure how helpful this is if you can’t see the drone. Also, mine was stuck on the end of the branch, so dislodging it was much easier. If it was near the trunk it would have been impossible.

Good luck.

I can't view the video / file. Access denied.

Depending on how high up it is. As others have said basically. A ball with 10lb fishing line attached. Throw it over the closest limb then tie stronger cord to that. Then pull both ends to shake the limb.

If you can't throw it that high use a youth bow and arrow. Repeat above process. Youth bow will get you around 65ft. If thats not enough use a adult compound bow.

THE KEY to this working is keeping the 10lb fishing string from getting tangled! Put it in a coffee can or bucket on its side. Something so it wont snag ANYTHING! Plus unspool freely!

I deploy Ham Radio HF wire antennas this way for over 20 years. ( up to 135ft long wire 80M dipole ). I do this just about everytime I go camping which is 1 - 3 times a year.

Just use cheap fishing line. It will get tangled or get knots in it. Just throw it away. The cord needs to be para cord or similar.

WW5RM

I can't view the video / file. Access denied.

Depending on how high up it is. As others have said basically. A ball with 10lb fishing line attached. Throw it over the closest limb then tie stronger cord to that. Then pull both ends to shake the limb.

If you can't throw it that high use a youth bow and arrow. Repeat above process. Youth bow will get you around 65ft. If thats not enough use a adult compound bow.

THE KEY to this working is keeping the 10lb fishing string from getting tangled! Put it in a coffee can or bucket on its side. Something so it wont snag ANYTHING! Plus unspool freely!

I deploy Ham Radio HF wire antennas this way for over 20 years. ( up to 135ft long wire 80M dipole ). I do this just about everytime I go camping which is 1 - 3 times a year.

Just use cheap fishing line. It will get tangled or get knots in it. Just throw it away. The cord needs to be para cord or similar.

WW5RM
If I had had a bow and arrow, I'm sure that would have been more efficient than my tennis ball accuracy!

Reactions: WW5RM
If I had had a bow and arrow, I'm sure that would have been more efficient than my tennis ball accuracy!
Yeah I actually prefer a water bottle over a ball. Remove all but about 1 inch of water. Im way more accurate with it plus the neck gives much easier place to tie the string.

HERE IS THE VIDEO POSTED TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL.

I don't think anyone is going to climb high enough to retrieve the drone. The drone appears to be near the top of the tree where the trunk isn't strong enough to hold somebody. It also doesn't appear to be enough room to fly another drone into that cluster of branches.

It looks like you were flying in a park or on a golf course, which means having somebody climb up most of the way, topping the tree, and lowering it with a rope is out of the question.

You probably just need to hope for a strong wind.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78