DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro issues with DJI Go 4 app on Smart Controller, App crashes controller video and all information from drone.

Path Finder

Reactions
Hello, long time since I have been on here as I have not had any issue till now. (I had the original Mavic that had video issues and app issues so this is a replacement Drone I bought new in 2020 with Smart Controller with the thought that App, within the controller right from DJI would not have app crashes, oops. . .)

Anyway after purchasing this I had the recommended updates at that time, 2020 "ish" and since then to the best of my knowledge I get this all "offline" since it was working without issue.
About a week ago during a flight I either forgot to start record, which I really thought I did, or the app started to mess up. (I didn't check the the record time so that is really all on me, only mentioning it as that was the start of any issue I have ever had.) The next thing that happened was remote stated it disconnected and asked if I wanted to use "return to home". I agreed and the drone came back without any issue, other than I could not see video. (At that point I don't know if I lost all location information on the remote or not, I did not look or notice and since the drone was so close I just watched it come back and land) That happened at a boat landing and boat just came to the dock so I didn't think much of it, the boat passed between me and the drone so thought that was the cause.

Fast forward a week and a few batteries worth of flights, issue happened again, this time I wanted the video so I cancelled the RTH, let the drone hover and get the sunrise I was filming. Lucky me without me doing anything the video recovered on the remote and I was able to land without issue. Power down the remote, new fresh battery to drone next flight no issue. 3rd battery same thing, remote said it disconnected, black and white video of last thing the drone sent back. Again I cancelled the RTH, I could not see video but had full control of the drone. I had my cell phone in my pocket and thought perhaps that caused some issue but it never did before.

Today, 3rd location here at home where I never had issue before, no cell phone near me, same thing, remote said it disconnected, screen went to black and white video of the last thing it had from the drone. this time I looked things over better, not information from the drone, no distance speed or any of that. Again I had full control, I even attempted to fly slowly at a tree and the drone stopped itself I just didn't get any warnings.

Since I had plenty of battery I just kept letting it hover to see what the remote would do. After a very long time a screen can up staring the go4 app had stopped responding so I finally had an answer to what was going on. It asked if I wanted to wait or close the app. (I brought the drone down to a level just before it would land, left it in the open area and pressed the "Close app", one eye on the drone and one eye on the app thinking this could be the end of the drone! :cool: All wen fine, drone never moved, app "restarted" and then it showed the drone and video recording had been fine all along.

I truly think this is 100% and "app issue", but since to my knowledge I have kept this "offline", I worried that attempting to remove and reinstall the app I'm going to make things even worse? I did see that android updates have cause folks to not be able to fly at all, I want to avoid that of course.

When connected the remote correctly states the drone equipment is a Mavic 2 Pro.

Screen of the Smart Controller say Model is m500
Android version is 7.1.2
Android security patch April 5th 2017

DJI Go 4
Version 4.3.36
Storage says 250MB used in internal memory

Thanks in advanced for steps you suggest. I don't need the "latest and greatest", I have been perfectly happy with everything it has been doing for me without issue till now.

If you need other info I might need "step by step" on how to get it. (I just fly it, not work on it :) (Might be as simple as temp files taking up too much memory?)

Thanks!

Hello, long time since I have been on here as I have not had any issue till now. (I had the original Mavic that had video issues and app issues so this is a replacement Drone I bought new in 2020 with Smart Controller with the thought that App, within the controller right from DJI would not have app crashes, oops. . .)

Anyway after purchasing this I had the recommended updates at that time, 2020 "ish" and since then to the best of my knowledge I get this all "offline" since it was working without issue.
About a week ago during a flight I either forgot to start record, which I really thought I did, or the app started to mess up. (I didn't check the the record time so that is really all on me, only mentioning it as that was the start of any issue I have ever had.) The next thing that happened was remote stated it disconnected and asked if I wanted to use "return to home". I agreed and the drone came back without any issue, other than I could not see video. (At that point I don't know if I lost all location information on the remote or not, I did not look or notice and since the drone was so close I just watched it come back and land) That happened at a boat landing and boat just came to the dock so I didn't think much of it, the boat passed between me and the drone so thought that was the cause.

Fast forward a week and a few batteries worth of flights, issue happened again, this time I wanted the video so I cancelled the RTH, let the drone hover and get the sunrise I was filming. Lucky me without me doing anything the video recovered on the remote and I was able to land without issue. Power down the remote, new fresh battery to drone next flight no issue. 3rd battery same thing, remote said it disconnected, black and white video of last thing the drone sent back. Again I cancelled the RTH, I could not see video but had full control of the drone. I had my cell phone in my pocket and thought perhaps that caused some issue but it never did before.

Today, 3rd location here at home where I never had issue before, no cell phone near me, same thing, remote said it disconnected, screen went to black and white video of the last thing it had from the drone. this time I looked things over better, not information from the drone, no distance speed or any of that. Again I had full control, I even attempted to fly slowly at a tree and the drone stopped itself I just didn't get any warnings.

Since I had plenty of battery I just kept letting it hover to see what the remote would do. After a very long time a screen can up staring the go4 app had stopped responding so I finally had an answer to what was going on. It asked if I wanted to wait or close the app. (I brought the drone down to a level just before it would land, left it in the open area and pressed the "Close app", one eye on the drone and one eye on the app thinking this could be the end of the drone! :cool: All wen fine, drone never moved, app "restarted" and then it showed the drone and video recording had been fine all along.

I truly think this is 100% and "app issue", but since to my knowledge I have kept this "offline", I worried that attempting to remove and reinstall the app I'm going to make things even worse? I did see that android updates have cause folks to not be able to fly at all, I want to avoid that of course.

When connected the remote correctly states the drone equipment is a Mavic 2 Pro.

Android version is 7.1.2

DJI Go 4
Version 4.3.36

Thanks in advanced for steps you suggest. I don't need the "latest and greatest", I have been perfectly happy with everything it has been doing for me without issue till now.

If you need other info I might need "step by step" on how to get it. (I just fly it, not work on it :) (Might be as simple as temp files taking up too much memory?)

Thanks!
I've got the original Smart Controller, which I believe is the RM500 and the Mavic 2 Zoom. My controller is showing android version 7.1.2 as well and DJI Go 4 version 4.3.54 and it works fine. I just flew yesterday and all was good. I put my phones hotspot on and let the controller use it for its internet connection as I always do. I have no idea why yours would be crashing on you though.
If I remember correctly for my last Go4 update I used the browser (Lightning Browser) and downloaded directly from the DJI website.

Reactions: Path Finder
Thanks! Do you have plans for the Remote ID "upgrade" that sounds like we can get vs buying "hardware"?
I have no clue if we will need to update the android version or just what will be needed. Everything had been work so well. :)

Thanks! Do you have plans for the Remote ID "upgrade" that sounds like we can get vs buying "hardware"?
I have no clue if we will need to update the android version or just what will be needed. Everything had been work so well. :)
Well I guess I'll wait till the end of December and see what DJI comes up with. It will be great if we don't need to buy an ID module.

Reactions: Path Finder

Android version is 7.1.2

DJI Go 4
Version 4.3.36

Thanks!
Try one thing first. Connect drone and controller. Enter menu tab. Choose 'transmission'. Is the signal set to dual band? If so: manually select 5.8ghz and try a test flight. Be interesting to see if the disconnect fails to occur. Just out of interest, the original controller (before the smart controller upgrade) was it the RC1A?

Sorry, to clarify the 2020 was drone and smart controller "upgrade" from the older original Mavic. (I have only had SC for this drone)

Thanks, will check the dual band setting and post what I find. I have had 2 near full battery flights without issue. (And no changes that I'm aware of doing)

Felix le Chat you were correct that the controller default for video transmission was in dual band, for now I switched it to 2.8 to see if I still have the issue. But will be hard to prove as we don't know just when it was going to disconnect. I also find it "scary" that all other information from the drone "stopped" but I guess if it is an app crash that can make sense. I would hope the location, speed, battery level and other information is not sent with the video as then you don't have any information to fly the drone back. (They are hard enough to see, once you no longer have video you can mistakenly move out of sight pretty easy and at that point RTH is your only friend left!) Just for information, I flew half a battery last evening without issue before making the change to 2.8 but no air time yet after the change. Thanks again for the suggestion but only lots of flight time will lets us know.

Well that didn't take as long as I thought it would, set to 2.8 only has the same issue. While at a boat landing which did not have anything right next to it for "power" or other items that might affect the transmission, I still lost video and the app "crashed". Drone was about 30' horizontally from me and about 50' up, not even a tree between us. This time the screen kept the speed and distance information until the app finally "reset" then of course the screen lost everything untill the app was stable at wich time you would never know the issue took place.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne