DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any way to fixate the drone on a 5.8ghz channel?

Mosherf

Reactions
I changed my MA from ce to fcc mode, and I can set the WIFI channel to 5.8, but every time I turn it on, it goes back to a 2.4 ghz channel.
Any way to make the change constant?

Thanks.

Reactions: Pegasusboysa42
Can someone explain to me the difference between the 2 channels and how they help with flight. Also, do they help in correcting rc disconnection or weak signal?
Tia

Can someone explain to me the difference between the 2 channels and how they help with flight. Also, do they help in correcting rc disconnection or weak signal?
Tia
In short: 5.8 is less prone to interference for long distances in an open area when there is a straight line (approx) between rc and drone. 2.4 ghz is better in getting the signal to pass objects like trees, wall etc. From personal experience - it dramatically increased my range and connectivity to rc, almost no disconnections.
They also say that 2.4 in fcc (US) is better then 2.4 in ce (European) mode, I don't know if that's true.

In short: 5.8 is less prone to interference for long distances in an open area when there is a straight line (approx) between rc and drone. 2.4 ghz is better in getting the signal to pass objects like trees, wall etc. From personal experience - it dramatically increased my range and connectivity to rc, almost no disconnections.
They also say that 2.4 in fcc (US) is better then 2.4 in ce (European) mode, I don't know if that's true.

Literally everything in this post is exactly wrong: 2.4GHz has a longer range but a weaker connection than 5.8GHz. The benefit of 5.8GHz is that those channels are often less congested than the crowded 2.4GHz. That means you should select 5.8GHz in urban areas where there are a lot of other radio frequencies that can interfere with your connection.

The reason people say the signal is better in the US is because in the EU you are by law not aloud to broadcast a signals at the dBs found in a Mavic Air in an FCC region.

Sorry to be blunt but if you’d spent half the time it took you to write that post actually researching the topic you could have prevented the spread of misinformation. People come here for info, not uneducated guesses.

Last edited:
CE vs FCC

FCC switches the radio to a higher/stronger signal level than CE. Simple.

Let’s stay on the OP. The question is if there is anyway to lock the wifi channel on 5.8 GHz. I saw only 1 answer relating to the OP and it looks that there is no way. Is that correct?

I have my MA set to a 5.8 channel, and it always stays on it when I fly. EVEN through many off /on cycles.

It would be helpful to know where you are. It would seem you are in a CE region- reasonable assumption is you didn’t perform a successful FCC hack.

What region are you in?

What method did you use to attempt to force FCC mode?

I changed my MA from ce to fcc mode, and I can set the WIFI channel to 5.8, but every time I turn it on, it goes back to a 2.4 ghz channel.
Any way to make the change constant?

Thanks.
Funny thing I noticed the other day - when it's in CE mode my MA seems to default to 5.8 when it's set to Auto but when it's in FCC it uses 2.4ghz instead.
It would be helpful to know where you are. It would seem you are in a CE region- reasonable assumption is you didn’t perform a successful FCC hack.

What region are you in?

What method did you use to attempt to force FCC mode?
Why is that a reasonable assumption?

Funny thing I noticed the other day - when it's in CE mode my MA seems to default to 5.8 when it's set to Auto but when it's in FCC it uses 2.4ghz instead.
Why is that a reasonable assumption?
It is a reasonable assumption based on the fact that transmission settings might not be performing as expected (compared to native performance in applicable region).

As to the mode set by auto there is nothing funny about it- or real mystery.

Band will be set to provide predicted optimum performance.

The specs give us the clues.
6F63BF54-1956-45DD-BD57-F8D0708A4458.jpeg
5.8 is 3dBm above 2.4 (FCC) however, as is well understood, propagation losses for 5.8 are significantly higher than for 2.4. That extra 3dBm might be less gain than the losses.

It is very common to find, in practice, that 2.4Ghz gives greater range. Only in areas with significant 2.4 congestion do we see the advantage of 5.8 (at the set power levels).

It is a reasonable assumption based on the fact that transmission settings might not be performing as expected (compared to native performance in applicable region).

As to the mode set by auto there is nothing funny about it- or real mystery.

Band will be set to provide predicted optimum performance.
Then you would also assume that I haven't [ever] successfully applied the hack because I seem to be experiencing the same behaviour as the OP, even though all indications are to the contrary?

Then you would also assume that I haven't [ever] successfully applied the hack because I seem to be experiencing the same behaviour as the OP, even though all indications are to the contrary?
While arguably interesting puzzles I can’t assist you with non-sequitur or other like fallacious constructions you might produce, even if unintended.

I have the same issue: selecting and using 5.8GHz is easy. But every time I power on the drone it switches back to 2.4GHz by default. Definitely not a zoning issue.

Are you using CE or FAA?
If I manually select a channel, 2.4 or 5.8ghz, it sticks. It's only switching it to auto that makes it revert to 2.4 under FCC and/or 5.8 under CE.

It's one of the indicators I have that alerts me to the FCC hack needing to be redone. :)

If I manually select a channel, 2.4 or 5.8ghz, it sticks. It's only switching it to auto that makes it revert to 2.4 under FCC and/or 5.8 under CE.

Okay, so I usually go to "Custom", select a 5.8GHz channel, and then I go back to "Auto". I was told this allows the drone to automatically select the best channel within the 5.8GHz. Now I'm starting to think it doesn't change channels after take off, so I may as well not go back to Auto. Anyone know if Auto 5.8GHz works?

Okay, so I usually go to "Custom", select a 5.8GHz channel, and then I go back to "Auto". I was told this allows the drone to automatically select the best channel within the 5.8GHz. Now I'm starting to think it doesn't change channels after take off, so I may as well not go back to Auto. Anyone know if Auto 5.8GHz works?
It does in CE mode! ?

I've never had it switch to 5.8 automatically when in FCC mode.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neverbobomalem