DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone else ever seen this AirMap conflict?

The FAA does not publish a statement that they will not take certificate action against various infractions. Thus, there is no formal FAA announcement that you are immune.

The first clue is that the 107 certificate is not included in your regular certificate.
It is separate. That is not true for other certificates,
For instance, when I got a private, then commercial then ATP, then a number of type ratings, they simply reissued the certificate.
When I got the 107, they issued a completely different certificate.
They did not add the 107 to the ATP.

More to your question, I am am an airline guy, and the question comes up frequently, on various airline pilot message boards, because nobody is willing to risk their livelihood to some knucklehead accusation on a drone issue.
Many have talked to the FAA and many FSDO's, and the repeated response is that they don't care that much about drone stuff, and won't jeopardize a pilot certificate for a drone issue.

To my, and many other's knowledge, they have not, and that information is from very large airline pilot's unions message boards.

Thanks for providing details. The FSDO response should be trustworthy, but I think it was an FAA statement that I first saw indicating that there could be repercussions to other ratings. I'll see if I can find it.

What you said was......

"the FAA takes great pleasure in revoking ALL licenses when an Airman flying a Drone screws up."
and....
"I've heard the opposite from more than one source."

I would be pleased to hear any information regarding certificate action against a private/commercial or ATP based on drone stuff.
I would be glad to pass it along.

What you said was......

"the FAA takes great pleasure in revoking ALL licenses when an Airman flying a Drone screws up."
and....

I would be pleased to hear any information regarding certificate action against a private/commercial or ATP based on drone stuff.

That first quote was not mine - you need to be a bit more careful with your attribution. I am unaware of any instances of it happening. My reference was to statements from the FAA (if I am remembering correctly) stating that it could happen.

What you said was......

and....

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Order/2150.3B_Chg_6_.pdf

Specifically, from the above:

For a deliberate, egregious violation by a certificate holder, regardless of whether the certificate holder is exercising the privileges of the certificate in connection with the violations associated with a UAS operation, certificate action, may be appropriate. Such certificate action may be in addition to a civil penalty.

Of course if you do something incredibly stupid and get arrested for it you are opening up all kinds of potential certificate action.
Similarly, if you do something in a motor vehicle that is particularly egregious they can do the same thing.
They usually do that through the medical route.
The point is that for run of the mill drone stuff, they don't go after the certificate, and I'll trust well developed historical contacts that unions talk to all the time.
Enjoy.

Maybe try comparing with what the map on B4UFly app says? I haven't used it much yet, but it seems to be good at showing TFRs. I think I read the light orange is not a restricted area, just an area to be extra cautious in. Is that right?

I'm figuring out I also have to check the NPS and FWS website maps to figure out where the real boundaries to national park and wildlife refuges are. Not correct in google maps.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiraMir